Engine Oil Pressure Light

1lola1

Hi, folks. As I left the mall today, I noticed a little car lit up on the dash. I drove about 8 miles and when I got home I read my manual. It says the icon is the Low Engine Oil Pressure Warning Light, which warns that the pressure is too low. It says to pull off of the road immediately and to not drive for one block. Here are my questions: What could cause the engine oil pressure to be low; Could the burning smell I've noticed in the last couple of days have something to do with this; and what in the heck did I do to the car by driving it home? :unsure: It's an 03 ES300. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Lola

if it smelled like burning oil then you may have a leak on the engine which caused the light to come on. not to scare you but i heard that those "low oil pressure" warning lights come on too late, as in the damage is already done after the fact. did you notice any oil on your driveway or garage, and did you check your oil dipstick to see if you had any oil? oh ya if you had the car serviced recently then maybe the drain plug could be leaking because the oil plug gasket wasn't replaced (happened to my old Camry, brought it to Speedee and the moron put two gaskets on the drain plug and all the oil leaked out).

I had the same thing happen on my '03ES. I checked the oil and it was right up to the top on the dip stick. That has happened just that once, because when I turned off the ignition and restarted the engine everything was fine. I think this was just a fluke, but if it happens continually, I would bring it into the dealer and have it checked out.

Thanks for the input. I had a 20,000 service done in August. I don't see any oil on the garage floor. I turned the car on a few minutes ago and the warning light is there. I'm going to check the dipstick now. Now I'm really nervous if it's true that once the light comes on, damage is done. I don't know if a mistake was made during service in August, if a problem would be arising now. Ugh.

Thanks for the input.  I had a 20,000 service done in August.  I don't see any oil on the garage floor.  I turned the car on a few minutes ago and the warning light is there.  I'm going to check the dipstick now.  Now I'm really nervous if it's true that once the light comes on, damage is done.  I don't know if a mistake was made during service in August, if a problem would be arising now.  Ugh.

Was the 20K mile service done at a Lexus dealer? Regardless, if there was any engine damage done....although I doubt it......your car is covered by the warranty. It's most likely a defective oil level sensor. <_<

WORST CASE SCENARIO:

1. The smell is from oil leakage cause by faulty installation of the oil filter, oil drain plug or

oil filler cap.

2. The oil light came on due to low oil pressure caused by insufficient oil and the engine has been damaged, but may still runs well. Typically, the "damage" results in higher than normal engine noise, particularly ticking type noises.

Now if it turns out the engine oil level is fine or no more than 2 quarts low, then your engine

has not been damaged.

Hi, folks.  As I left the mall today, I noticed a little car lit up on the dash.                                                        Lola

Hold up. I am confused. you said/typed a little car lit up on the dash.

The only dash lights that look like a car are:

1. the slip/skid indicator. It is a back end of a car with two squiggly tire marks.

2. the tail light "out" indicator. It is a top down view of a car with eyelashes on the back end.

3. the door open indicator, It is a top down view of a car with two doors open.

now, did you mean to say little can, instead.

the oil pressure lights are the two oil cans (genie lamps), one has a wavy line underneath and a drip of oil falling from the spout.

which lamp was it?

steviej

Steviej is right. If its a light with a car on it, then it's just the third light going out. Then no need to worry too much about it... except just to change the bulbs. However, from what you are saying on the manual... then that means a low pressure oil. N yes, if you are leaking oil, then the light will come on n you should see a puddle of oil or maybe a few drops at home.

When you check the dipstick... make sure that the engine is cold, so in the morning check it. Maybe her coolant resevoir overflowed. Perhaps thats what is creating the burning smell. But thats my opinion. I've never seen under the hood of an 03 model before so i'm not exactly sure if it looks similiar to my 92. Well of course its going to be a lot more tidier lookin.