Rx330 Fuel

I'm thinking of buying a 2005 RX330.  Could someone tell me if they use

regular (87) or premium fuel ?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

It's designed for 87 and works fine. All grades have the same cleaning agents so no need to burn money!

Mike

Thanks Mike !

The owners manual of the RX330 / ES330 recommends premium for better performance, but also says regular is acceptable. At lexus.com there is an owner FAQ that explains:

"Use of lower grade fuel will typically cause some degree of improper combustion, which results in engine knock. When the engine management system detects knock, such as with the use of lower grade fuel, the ignition timing will be retarded. While retarding ignition timing helps to minimize knock, it also reduces available performance and fuel economy."

Some brands of premium gas like Shell's premium also have 5 times more of the detergents that keep fuel injectors and intake valves clean of power and fuel economy robbing deposits.

I just got my 5005 Rx 330 and was told to run regular gas in it. The owner's manual reads " Select Octane Rating 87(Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91(Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended. I Love mine and would only like a few miner changes, lumbar sopport for passenger , not having to press

I agree at each start up of navagation sysyem...

I hope this helps.

yeah, i use 87. (manuals recommend 91, but screw that!)

yeah screw them .......

they only engineered the car .

Their are too many threads asking this all the time.

Please continue this converstation where it belongs in the general maintance section as the intial question of what it uses being vehicle specif was answered.

Why pour 87 when all it really saves you is like 3-4 bucks per fill up? In the end you'll spend more on repairs due to the carbon fouled combustion chamber and clogged fuel filter and injectors...not to mention rapairs when your car fails a smog check due to the elevated NOx because you ignored the "pinging". It's not like Lexus is making money everytime you refuel.