Delaying Spark Plug Change

white ice

i have an appointment to get my 90k service next week. the guy at the lexus dealer told me that i should change my spark plugs as well at 90k. now, next week is going to be a big week; i have to get new tires which are going to run $500 and the 90k w/out the plugs is going to run $400. the addition on the spark plugs change is an additional $225. so i was wondering if i wait until i take it in @ 95k and have them do it. i put a bout 50 miles/day on my car so i would change the spark plugs in the next 2-3 months. would this be ok?

I'm sorry if i might sound rude, but get to know your car, save some money, and do it yourself!!! Everything on that service appt. you can do yourself, it just takes a little motivation and some tools that almost everyone has. Getting to know your car, it helps you in more than just one way. I just don't understand why everybody buys a cars and expects someone else to fix it for them. If you have the money to just blow like bill gates then go ahead, but consider this, if your button on your shirt falls off, you probably know how to sew it back on and will do so yourself; the same applies to your car. If you start understanding your car, then you just might just have some new found respect for it.

Or you could fly me from Phoenix and I'll change your plugs for $225.00 :D

$225 to change the spark plugs (even including the cost of plugs) sounds like a lot---- even from a Lexus dealer. You can buy 8 iridium NGK 1X plugs on ebay for around $48 and get your local mechanic to double check that they are gapped correctly and have him install them. You will probably save well over $100---- For oil filters and oil plug gaskets check out the-best-source.com Lexus charges nearly $16 for an oil filter+gasket and you can get and excellent quality filters etc (nippon, advantex,wixx or toyota) for around $4-5 each. You can probably go longer on your present plugs but if they are the originals you should change them sooner than later.

On this forum there are always some posts from owners who are having problems with clogged catalytic converters and EGR valves and failing smog tests. One of the underlying causes of those kinds of serious problems is not changing the spark plugs soon enough. Worn plugs = higher fuel consumption = more unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust = more carbon deposits in the EGR system and higher temperatures in the catalytic converter.

On this forum there are always some posts from owners who are having problems with clogged catalytic converters and EGR valves and failing smog tests.  One of the underlying causes of those kinds of serious problems is not changing the spark plugs soon enough.  Worn plugs = higher fuel consumption = more unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust = more carbon deposits in the EGR system and higher temperatures in the catalytic converter.

werd

i have an appointment to get my 90k service next week.  the guy at the lexus dealer told me that i should change my spark plugs as well at 90k.  now, next week is going to be a big week; i have to get new tires which are going to run $500 and the 90k w/out the plugs is going to run $400.  the addition on the spark plugs change is an additional $225.  so i was wondering if i wait until i take it in @ 95k and have them do it.  i put a bout 50 miles/day on my car so i would change the spark plugs in the next 2-3 months.  would this be ok?

I have a 1994 Camry V6 with OEM Platinum plugs. I ran these plugs to 173,000 miles before I changed them.