Cost Of Servicing

prix

My car is due for 70K service, which I understand includes changing the oil, the oil filter, the air filter, a lube job and rotating the tires. It also includes a vehicle inspection, including checking the brakes. Question: I've always had this work done at a dealership, or certified mechanic indie shop. The latter quoted me $90 for this work. Is this reasonable, or does anyone ever go to Jiffy Lube or similar shops for this type of thing? Thanks to all posters for suggestions!! (There's no point in telling me how easy it w/b to do this myself. I am not a DYI). :-)

I have always changed my oil and filters at jiffy lube every 3000 miles. As for the transmission fluid you should buy it at Toyota and take it with you to Jiffy Lube. They have no problem with it here. Same goes for the anti-freeze. They keep records which are handy on re-sale. There are no lube jobs on Lexus I am aware of. $90 is way too much. :)

My dealer charges $140 for the mini maint which includes oil change and tire rotation, thats with me bringing my own oil!

No problem letting someone else do it, just keep the reciepts and I'd use a Lexus filter.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think it is BH pricing. I used to pay w/o question, but that ended this year. I'm catching on to the auto parts game, and discovering a huge difference in pricing. The dealership here is awesome, but you do pay for their TLC, no question.

I kind of think that $90 isn't that bad a price, especially if you are not a DIY guy. Not everybody is that much into cars, sometimes it is nice just to drive them. On of the pleasures of a higher education. If you make enough that $90 isn't that big a concern, then you will have the peace of mind knowing that it was probably done correctly. Driving a Lexus and spending $90 isn't that much anyway. What the hell, they sure are worth it by any way you figure. Race cars in disquise!

I would negotiate with the dealer on price because some dealers will talk price to some degree if they are slow. Once in a great while..... slack is cut.

Either way you win, you have a great car!

Good luck,

Denny

Thanks everyone.  Yes, I think it is BH pricing. I used to pay w/o question, but that ended this year.  I'm catching on to the auto parts game, and discovering a huge difference in pricing.  The dealership here is awesome, but you do pay for their TLC, no question.

I guess it depends upon where you are located. $90. around here would be outrageous. Lexus dealer charged me either $33.00 or $37.00 to change my engine oil. I took it to the Toyota dealer the last two times. One time they charged $27.00, then $33.00. :unsure:

I guess it depends upon where you are located.  $90. around here would be outrageous.  Lexus dealer charged me either $33.00 or $37.00 to change my engine oil.  I took it to the Toyota dealer the last two times.  One time they charged $27.00, then $33.00.   :unsure:

Lexus of tampa bay, one of the best Dealerships in the Nation charges me $39.99 for oil change, filter. and full carwash and interior vacum... cant beat it. Oh yeah, they offer you a portable DVD player W/ a DVD of yoru choice while your waiting.

Oh yeah, if you want Mobile 1, bring your own, and its $30.