Anybody Riding On 245/50r 16?

white ice

i have to change my tires in the VERY near future. i currently have 225/55r16's. i was thinking of of changing to 245/50r 16's. does anybody have these on the car. or does anybody have any advice on running this tire. i think it will give the car a more aggresive stance and would llokk really sweet. any thoughts on this.

Well, last year Tire Rack assured me that 245/55-16's could be used to replace the OEM 225/60-16's on my LS OEM rims so my guess is that you could do something similar on your SC. You might try giving them a call to verify.

I stayed with the OEM size however since I know from experience that a larger treadwidth would make the ride quite a bit harsher and noisier (really irratated the wife) and didn't seem to make a previous LS handle any better. Sure improved the braking though.

You would at least have a fairly large selection in the 245's you are looking for. Tire Rack has about 30 models in 245/50-16. They have only one choice in the 245/55-16 for my LS.

I'd say "go for it" if the larger size will fit with no clearance issues and you don't plan to use these tires in the snow this winter. Wider tires can be a real problem in the snow.

This is the best time of the year to buy summer tires - lots of special offers out there. Spring, of course, is the best time to get good deals on snow tires.

While you can go with the 245/50/16, I think the OEM wheel is a bit narrow for that tire size. I went with Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1 tires (225/60/16) taking the advice of one of the test drivers at tirerack and wouldn't change them . They are very quiet and sick like glue in the dry and more importantly in the wet. Great tires--I'd stick with these as I can't imagine anyone needing higher performance rubber unless they are racing.

While you can go with the 245/50/16, I think the OEM wheel is a bit narrow for that tire size.

The minimum recommended wheel width for 245/50-16's is 7 inch and you can verify this using various tire size calculators including the one at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Benefits of using somewhat narrower wheels is that you have less clearance issues and it is much harder to "curb" your wheels since the tire sidewall of wider tires provides more protection to the wheels.