repair questions

Bubbles

My 92 sc300 had electrical ground problems. When you hit the brakes or the turn signal the headlights would dim and the radio would sometimes turn off. I ended up cleaning the battery terminals and the problem mostly disappeared. When I have the fan on and when I hit the brakes the fan slows down a bit. I think there are some other dirty electrical connections. BTW, my mirrors don't work, but the dimming function on the rearview mirror works.

• 2 months later...

Rgenender Writes:

"2002 SC430. Have less than 14K miles on it and have had it in for all

service intervals. In the last 4K miles, or so, the inner treads on both

rear tires have become bald, while the rest of each tire has

progressively more tread as you go from inner tread to outer tread. The outer

tread appears to have very little wear. After about 5K miles, a man pulled

up to me at a light and said that my rear wheels looked like they were

bowing out on the bottom.

I keep the tires at between 37 and 38 psi.

I know that the rear suspension has negative camber, but could it be so

bad as to produce this kind of wear? Lexus dealer says that they have

seen this before, but want to track it in future.

Could their alignment machine be miscalibrated? They say impossible."

RGenender:

Please visit the "For Visitors and New Users" Forum for information on how to use our Forum correctly. It's really not that hard.

Thanks

UCF3

Moderator SC and LS Forums

Post for user: rgenender

2002 SC430. Have less than 14K miles on it and have had it in for all service intervals. In the last 4K miles, or so, the inner treads on both rear tires have become bald, while the rest of each tire has progressively more tread as you go from inner tread to outer tread. The outer tread appears to have very little wear. After about 5K miles, a man pulled up to me at a light and said that my rear wheels looked like they were bowing out on the bottom.

I keep the tires at between 37 and 38 psi.

I know that the rear suspension has negative camber, but could it be so bad as to produce this kind of wear? Lexus dealer says that they have seen this before, but want to track it in future.

Could their alignment machine be miscalibrated? They say impossible.

rgender, you must have mistakenly pressed the "report this post to moderator" button.

Without seeing your tires, I can only guess. Your tires and wheels are the original I take it. The runflat tires wear out fast based on accounts from other owners. It is possible the car has an alignment issue. Just be sure to maintain proper pressures and possibly rotate the tires more frequently as long as they are all the same size and have bidirectional tread. Otherwise, you can change to more traditional tires and see how that does. Never hurts to get a second opinion from a non dealer source that has good alignment equipment.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

We have a 1992 automatic SC400 coupe with 192K miles on it. The transmission went out last night and this will be the second transmission in this car. Has anyone else had or heard of any problems with transmission?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

got a tech problem..... my friend was messing around inside my dash and all of a sudden the left side of my climate control stoped working. just the button ( the screen still has power.... any idea would be helpfulll.....

thanx

will

cemike, Most likely it is the channel in the intake manifold that is clogged with carbon. Removal of the intake from the thottle body to the main chamber and cleaning the porting from the EGR to the throttle body will fix this. Use carb cleaner. It is a messy job. Light has come on due to no flow of exhaust gas to cool combustion temp. May create some pinging if not repaired.

Bubbles, You will need to remove the ground cable from the battery and the engine and clean the connections to chassis and engine. Take the cable and solder the lugs if you can. If not build a new cable. Common problem with both the 300 and 400.

Not Sure Exactly what happened... in a three day period, 1. The

Power Window Actuator went out in the Drivers window,

Common problem with the weaknees of the lug on the cable that runs up and down the guide. Just have to replace regulator. At least you don't have to replace the motor also.

2. The Illumination went out on BOTH the Guage Levers on Dash. (Gas

and Temp}

Again a common issue. Make sure you replace all the illumination bulbs as you will be removing the cluster again.

3. The Tilt Steering Memory/adjustment suddenly started

making a LOUD noise if you attempt to lower it. It is STUCK in the all the

way UP and all the way OUT position.. (quite Umcomfortable to drive)

Try and check the position sensor connection on the right side of the column. If it loses connection because of the movement of the column.

4. The "TRAC" light is suddenly ON all the time.

This would have to be diagnosed with pulling the codes using a scan tool.

5. Just Noticed a NOTICEABLE Vibration in the steering. Upon

inspecting the condition of front tires, found them toi be in QUITE poor

condition. (15K Miles into 60K Tires.) Apparently Front End is suddenly out

of alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

CECLARK6 Writes: Edited for Content

I have this problem with my 1999 GS300. The car cranks up good. When I apply brakes the car shut off. The brake is depress they good to floor. The lights on radio goes out and comes back on. After car shut down it will crank back up with no problem. Please help me.

Couple of things first. We don't usually type with the Caps Lock on. I'm not sure if you're trying to use the Quote feature, I'd ask you to Highlight the text, hit CTRL C and then CTRL V when you're ready to Paste.

Two things come to mind. One is your battery isn't cranking the right amount of power. Also, it could be a short in the circuit. Have you ever used a Multimetre to test circuits?

When you put it into Drive, does the car stall?

List your model, year ,

# of owners ,

price when bought and from where

lenght of ownership and attributed problems and repair costs.

Also mention where you had it fixed ( lexus, independent, midas or diy).

When it was done.

Any mods done to the car and its costs.

If desired your age and insurance you pay.

If you have any picutes in the gallery put links in the post so we can have an idea about the car.

Please only post once and if you have a question either pm the member or make a new thread .

This will keep the page from being filled with excess.

I just bought a 1992 SC400 and i would like to know if any of you had a diagram or something that showed the fuse box and what fuse does what and also a wiring diagram for like the audio and all of the other accessories. The car runs excelents but needs some loose wires pluged in and a paint job :)