1991 Lexus Es250 0-60mph Time?

a week and a half going downhill!!! :lol:

just kidding. try going to motortrend.com or Road and track.com or Car and Driver.com and see if you can access their archives.

You might be able to find the original test article(s) that would have that info.

15 year old car facts are scarce on the web. Maybe you could find someone with an sales original brochure. Try Ebay for that.

Last try, contact www.lexus.com and see if they don't have it in their archives.

just some suggestions.

steviej

0-60mph: 8.6 seconds (a/t) 8.0 seconds (5spd)

1/4 mile: 16.7 seconds

Top Speed: 130mph

thats about right, not too bad...

in fact, considering they are 15 years old, and not race cars, thats pretty damned good LOL.

EDIT: but i fyou bought this car to go fast, you wasted your money. the only lexus i would by to go fast in would be an SC300/400/430.

the only lexus i would by to go fast in would be an SC300/400/430.

I have a GS430, and thats no slouch - 0-60 under 6 seconds.

The LS430 moves well for a big car.

Neither are 'race cars', but they are far from slow. :D

true matt, however, they do not look fast...well...maybe the GS does, but the LS i almost always will regard as a cruiser and nothing else. :)

BTW, did you get my PM about the site skin codes?

I always wanted to know when i should be turning the Overdrive off. I know it turns the car from a 4spd-3spd, or maybe its from a 5spd-4spd. But what driving conditions call for the use of this? If im jsut driving around town under 50mph do i want the overdrive on or should i have it off.

Lexus es250

leave it on and don't think about it. That way it is there when you need it.

The only time I ever take the OD off is when I am towing something with my truck or if I am driving under severe load conditions (regardless of what I am driving).

steviej

So the OD isnt for going fast, its for towing and stuff like that huh.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

heh, i had a friend in my car today, i floored it form a light and he was like "HOLY *BLEEP* !!!"

:D

i caught him off gaurd, i dont think he expected it to be that fast LOL. its by no means a FAST car, but very respectable for a "rebadged camry"

So the OD isnt for going fast, its for towing and stuff like that huh.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

No, you are reading it backwards. OD is a last gear so to speak. It usually has a very low drive ratio. The engine rotates less than one complete revolution to the drive wheels complete revolution. This creates a situation where it takes less power/fuel/and effort from the engine to make the car move.

OD is not "Hyper Drive", it is not for speed as in racing. It is for lowering the engine RPM at faster rates of speed. This conserves fuel and allows for less wear and tear on the engine and drivetrain.

OD is NOT for towing, nor is it for when there is a load on the vehicle. During thsese situations, the Tranny may want to go into OD, but as soon as it does any variation in speed or engine demand will cause the tranny to shift out of OD. I simply turn the OD off so that it is not an option and I avoid alot of unecessary shifts in and out of OD.

Chris, do you follow me now?

steviej

Another way of thinking about it is if you had a manual tranny, you are driving in 5th gear and need to speed up to pass, so you down shift to 4th gear and step on it, which accelerates faster than staying in 5th...when you take off the OD you down shift from OD to a lower gear and doesnt go back into OD untill you turn it on...

Hope this helps...

What he's saying is you should leave O/D on and only turn it off when towing or when driving the car under load.

Steviej said the exact opposite, he said its not for towing. I guess what will help me out is if i know:

When it should be on.

And when it should be off.

When you turn it off a light comes on in the dash saying that it is off, and when i see a light come on that means to me that its probably not supposed to be on all the time only under certain circumstances. If the OD was supposed to be off most of the time then i would think they would make it so the light went on when you turned the OD on instead of off.

Thats just what i have in my head right now.

Right, like I said turn O/D OFF for towing, leave it on all other times. When you push the button, you're turning it off. When you shut off the car and turn it back on the O/D will reset to on and the light will go off...

Steviej said its not for towing. now im confused. ive had my es250 for 3 years. When you turn an es250 off the OD does not reset, it might on other models. But that really doesnt matter.

So let me see if i have this.

Leave the OD on for normal everyday driving, like around town.

Turn it off when i need to tow, or pass someone?

Ive always just used it when i need to climb inclines, and when i want to pass. When i am driving and turn the OD off i feel a the car shift, sounds like something is dropping into place.

Yes, steviej and I said the exact same thing. Leave it on normally, turn it off when you need to tow (which you shouldn't in the ES) or when carrying heavy loads, passengers etc.

O/D is designed to be used under normal driving conditions. Steviej is saying O/D should not be used for towing (i.e. "Its not for towing) meaning the switch should be set so the light shows "O/D OFF" if towing.

No reason to turn it off to pass, when you pull out to pass and push the gas down the transmission will downshift out of O/D automatically and stay there as long as its neccisary to deliver the acceleration you're asking it for.