94 Sc400

TTCUPS

im a new sc400 owner,94 with 189k on it.

regarding the timing belt i need help with the following:

1. if the belt breaks will there be any damage?

2.is it true that they almost never break unless the water pump jams up?

i have been told by the service mgr at lexus that he has never seen one break unless the water pump goes bad,he also told me that if it breaks its a non contact

engine so no damage will result.

so he says save the money and other then being stuck some where fix it when and if it breaks.

if he is right i will wait because cash is tight right now.

is all this true?

ttcups.

I was told that it "should be replaced at 90K by the Lexus guys, 120 K by the Toyota Service advisors. I have "heard" that the engine is a non-interference engine up to 97, when the car's engine came with VVti, and non interference is when the timing belt breaks and "there isn't any interference". I wouldn't wait until it breaks, but do it at 120K and then change it. It'll cost about 850-1400 to replace the timing belt and water pump, which u do at the same time. I gave u such a large range of prices because I was quoted 850 at a dealership 15 miles away from my house and 1400 at the 5 mile away dealership. I'm sure you can tell which dealership I am going to go to when I need service. My 95 SC has 96K, no noise from the belt, if there should be any when it's wearing. I would trust, or certainly hope the belt won't break until 120K....

I have a 93 400 but I used to have a 92 and the belt went at 90k. I parked the car and was at a friends house and when I came out, the car would not start. I guess I got lucky that it did not go when I was driving. It was about $1100 to do the change at the dealer.

I have heard of Toyota / Lexus timing belts breaking as early as 90K or lasting as long as 160K.

Leadfoot city driving wears them out quicker. Gentle city driving and relaxed highway driving prolongs their life.

At lexus.com, Lexus says this about the timing belt:

Question: When does Lexus recommend replacing the timing belt?

Lexus's Answer: " While it is possible that the original timing belt may last the life of the engine, for peace-of-mind, the timing belt should be replaced every 90,000 miles. Also, if major engine work is performed, such as a valve job or engine rebuild, the timing belt should be replaced. It is very important that the belt be changed at the recommended intervals as specified in the Owner's Manual Supplement

• 2 weeks later...
im a new sc400 owner,94 with 189k on it.

regarding the timing belt i need help with the following:

1. if the belt breaks will there be any damage?

2.is it true that they almost never break unless the water pump jams up?

i have been told by the service mgr at lexus that he has never seen one break unless the water pump goes bad,he also told me that if it breaks its a non contact

engine so no damage will result.

so he says save the money and other then being stuck some where fix it when and if it breaks.

if he is right i will wait because cash is tight right now.

is all this true?

ttcups.

i have a 92 sc400 and i had mine replaced last year at 165000 miles.the water pump seal failed so i saw coolant on the garage floor that was coming from the weep hole on the pump. this was telling me the pump would fail soon so i drove it to toyota and had the timing belts,water pump & tensioners replaced.