Sound Deadening My Car

sunman

I am adding sound deadening material in the whole car. I have gutted it already and started the work. I want it to be wisper quite and solid as a tank. After removing the carpet, there is already some deadening material in the car but I added more to the floor, roof, and the doors. The doors already feel much better. A solid thud when closing the door. Also, I have added a XM factory tuner to my Toyota nav system.

I am adding sound deadening material in the whole car. I have gutted it already and started the work.  I want it to be wisper quite and solid as a tank.  After removing the carpet, there is already some deadening material in the car but I added more to the floor, roof, and the doors.  The doors already feel much better.  A solid thud when closing the door.  Also, I have added a XM factory tuner to my Toyota nav system.

You are the first person I know to have said his/her Lexus is not quiet enough! :lol:

[quote You are the first person I know to have said his/her Lexus is not quiet enough! :lol:

Well although Lexus does a world class job at reducing engine and drivetrain noise, considerable road noise can be heard in the cabin of any Lexus, especially over coarse or concrete road surfaces. For some unknown reason (perhaps weight savings?), the Asian car makers have been reluctant to use alot of sound barrier type insulation in the floors, trunk or doors like the American luxury car makers do. So considerable high frequency road noise penetrates the cabin of the Asian luxury cars and I find it adds to fatigue on long trips.

I don't find that the case at all. I think that has more to do with the tires than anything else. The proper tires inflated to the proper pressure all but remove road noise from the 3 Lexus' I've had considerable contact with. Maybe the reason tires are so important on the Lexus has something to do with that sound deadening though, who knows.

i don't expect a significant difference. Let me recondition and redye my seats and I will take it for a spin and see the difference. I have michelin tires at the moment on stock rims. I sound proofed the doors also. There is no sound deadening material there at all except the moisture barrier. The doors are solid now when closing them