How Much Weight Is Best For Traction?

91ls400

A little early but it's going to get down near 30 this weekend in Ohio and I was wondering what amount of weight in the trunk, over the rear axle, was best for traction. Through the winter I always try to keep a full tank of gas and my traction system doesnt always work, not that it really helps that much anyways. I drive in the mornings when they don't always have time to get to all the roads and I need traction! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

A little early but it's going to get down near 30 this weekend in Ohio and I was wondering what amount of weight in the trunk, over the rear axle, was best for traction.  Through the winter I always try to keep a full tank of gas and my traction system doesnt always work, not that it really helps that much anyways.  I drive in the mornings when they don't always have time to get to all the roads and I need traction!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'll go ahead and assume you're using proper snow tires, since you live in Ohio. Just out of curiosity, does Lexus make any all wheel drive sedans and/or coupes?

BTW, I don't know the answer to your question. sorry.

For the 13 winters I had a 90 LS, I put one 25 pound bag of sand into the nook on each side of the trunk. I wrapped each bag of sand in a heavy trash bag and secured the bag with duct tape to make a neat package that would make it through the winter without spilling. The main thing is to have four good quality snow tires and would especially recommend snow tires that have the mountain/snowflake symbol on the side wall.

I use Blizzaks on my 00 LS and they seem to work much better than the light duty snow tires I used on my 90 LS. My 90 LS did not have "traction control" but the early Lexus traction control system was not seen to be particularly effective anyway. Oddly, the early traction control was on by default unless you turned it off. On my 00 LS, traction control is called "snow" mode and is off by default unless you turn it on.

i feel that my car drives ALOT better with weight in the trunk, in rain or shine, or snow...

i don't know it just brings the rear down a little, and seems to stabilize and make and it handle a little bit better

let me make it simpler, if i don't have weight in the trunk i can tell the difference in the way the car drives and handles

now granet we are not talking about a lot of weight here, maybe 25 lbs at the most......

i don't know i just like it better with weight in the back.

Now I've got a '92 SC400 not an LS, but this might still apply here.

I went to the strip with my sub in the trunk. My sub weighs 90 pounds (I measured it). I ran a 15.420 and my 60 foot time was 2.268...

Then I removed the sub, and 115 pounds of other stuff (pass seat, rear seat, floor mats, trim panels). I ran a best of 15.230 but my 60 foot time was STILL 2.268 even though I ran a faster ET.

This was in the dry even after scrubbing the tires in the burnout box. So anything I gained by removing the weight, I lost in traction for the first 60 feet.

Anyway more important than weight are tires, as previously mentioned. I would try to find Nokia Hakkapeliita's if you can. If not try Yokohama Guardex... spend money on your tires, they may save your !Removed!. :)

Aaron

Okay check my last post for tires, as for the rims, I'd buy a set of steelies to put them on. Steel rims shouldn't cost more than about $200 for the set of 4, and it will save all the tire swapping.

Most tire places I know of charge around $10 tire to mount, dismount, and balance. So thats $20 a season for each tire. If you get steel rims you can just take them off and swap your summers on when the weather gets nice, and they'll be ready and waiting for next winter.

The other thing is it's very easy to damage rims and tires when mounting and dismounting them. I would want my aluminum rims touched as little as possible by machines, just when a new set of summers go on.

Hope this helps,

Aaron