That Did It...

ArmyofOne

i was just told when i had my brakes done ($339, for new front rotors and pads, the old rotors were glazed and cracked) that my steering rack is worn out. i was told this isnt the fault of anybody, its just something that wears out. has vey little to do with maintenance. i was told, rough estimate comes to $1400 Parts and labor.

is this a hard job? i have never done one, on any car, let alone a toyota. i have done engine swaps before, and had to move the rack, but at the same time, i never had to REMOVE it from the suspension setup completly, i just drop the subframe and the suspension together, leaving the rack where it is.

part from toyota is somewhere around $900...im thinking i better get rid of this POS while i still can.

meantime, it effects my alignment, the tires wear unevenly, and it is whats causing my transmission to do weird things (i.e. harsh disengagement of the TQ converter), its going to make my bearings, struts, CV joints, and ball joints go bad if i dont fix it.

unfortunately, i just dont have the $$$$ to do it.

also, the power steering belt is shot, its so dryrotted you can see through it :blink: thats $60, that i have to spend next week.

BTW, when that rack goes, i will have no steering... :ph34r:

anybody knwo where i can get this done cheaper? also, willa rack froma camry fit?

1990 Lexus ES250, 2.5L 2mz-Fe, 140,000 miles.

you could probably get that at a wreck yard from a V6 Camry and save over $500... that's what I would do...

yeah, but then i still have to install it. removing the steering rack is a !Removed! on most cars, i can only imagine that on this one, the motor has to be pulled.

i dont want to do that.

f*** this. i only need the car till february. im going to have the rear brakes done the same way as the front, and just drive the thing (i may get window tint).

thats it other than oil changes/maintenance and i may or may not get the timing belt replaced along with the WP and Cam/Crank seals.

i cant justify putting anymore than i have to into this car. i have nobody to blame but myself, the previous owner told me what was going on, and that he didnt knwo what it was (i myslef thought it just eneded struts and a front ent alignment). i had it inspected by lexus, they didnt find anything other than worn tie rod bushings and worn struts. no biggie, i can do thise, but a steering rack??? what a PITA.

i could/would do it, but this is currently my only vehicle, if i did it myself (with the limited acess i have to a lift) it would take me weeks.

in august of next year, when i come back from Active Duty Rotation, i will buy a mid 90's LS400 or something.

cause i can get the tint at cost, and my comfort is worth the $75.

the brakes were something that had to be done, the car was taking almost 300 feet to stop for a redlight from 45. the rotors looked like mirrors they were so glazed.