What Gives Best Results On Dwp

Hey guys,

i've been reading much of the posts in this forum. I've seen the awsome results (mirror like finishes) that many of you have achieved on your cars with your favorite products. I'd like to know is it possible to get that kind of depth on a white car. If so what would you're recomendations be.

So far what i've been doing is, prewax cleaner, sealer/glaze, finished with carnuba wax. steps 1 & 2 with o/b, wax by hand. I can't say i'm not happy with the results, cause it shines real nice, just doesn't have the depth you see in darker cars.

B)

You'll never achieve the deep-down lustre on a white finish that is possible on dark-colored cars. That's because white reflects more light than any other color in the spectrum, and a darker color's ability to seemingly absorb light is the primary component in creating the illusion of a deep lustre.

But white is the only exterior color I've bought for at least the past ten years. That's because it fights the effects of the sun far better than any other color, hides fade and swirls far better than any other color, and is always in demand for resale purposes.

Stick with white exteriors. Your vehicle will simply hold up better as the years go by.

RX is absolutely correct, you're just not going to be able to acheive the same depth with white, silver, beige etc as you can on dark colors. I had a white car before the Lexus and got the darker color for the look and it may be my last one. Sure it looks great when its clean but its only clean for about 10 miles. I wash it twice a week.

What you want to do is try and maximize gloss. I'd reccomend a pure sealant for maximum reflectivity, Klasse, Zaino, Poorboys EX-P, IZ Glanz Wax etc.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll agree with you that the white is easier to keep clean than the dark blue/purple that i had on my last car.  I'll have to give one of those products  you mentioned a try.  :cheers:

But while dark colors are beautiful, they are flat. No pearl in the paint like the lighter colors. Your goal is to get that pearl to shine!

Claying is key. After you wash, clay your car. Then wax. Use Meguiars or Zaino. People used to ask me did I get my car painted that color :o No, it was factory paint.

On Crystal white, it has even more flakes to me.

Have you seen my car Sick? LOTS of pearl! As a matter of fact a lot of dark colors are coming out nowadays with a lot of pearl, better paint technologies are making that possible. Lexus has several very pearly dark colors now, Black Garnet Pearl, Black Cherry Pearl, Flint Mica, Black Forest Pearl and others.

~One man’s opinion / observations~

White metallic- I use Klasse (AIO & SG) and Pinnacle Signature Series Wax as an LSP

When a client comes to pick up his white car and it sitting next to a black or dark coloured vehicle and he stats to compare finishes, I find this combination gives the best reflection I can get from white paint.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

thanks for the suggestions, i'll be picking up some klasse soon. anxious to give that a try, although i'm sure i read that preperation is key when using products like klasse or zaino.

Up til now, i've been using mothers pre-wax cleaner, then swirl remover, and finish with wax, carnuba in summer, and now that winter's here, Meguiars gold class. next time i go through the whole process, i will clay the car, but i don't think that Mother's swirl remover will work with klasse.

also, is it worth wet sanding the car, to get rid of the orange peel, if so what compounds do you guys recommend after the sanding.

once again thanks for your comments/opinions, they are appreciated.

Axle13

No, you don't want to wetsand it. Yes you'd be rid of the orange peel but you'd be left with a much thinner clear on it making future polishing difficult and shortening the paint's life.

I think white looks great. I really like black, but it soaks up too much sun and is harder to keep clean.

I threw out my Maquire's Gold Classic. Sure it gives a beautiful shine, but it doesn't last long. I am sticking with what I know works great and lasts up to a year and still looks like you just waxed it. Clay is good. Put a piece in a fuzzy wash mitt, dip in soapy water and polish until you have glass.