Rotors - Vibration

Grandpa

Ok, it's been a while since I've last posted with school and all, but I my chair is vibrating for some reason, when I press the breaks. I went up to Meineke to get an oil change (free w/ a coupon i got in an entertainment book). I also asked them to take my wheels off while they were at it, and my brakes pads and rotors where fine on the back seat ( assumed that it would be on the back axel ), and the front also looked fine. So, I asked the head mechanic there, and he said, "the most likely problem he could think of is that, the rotors needed to be rotated, and he said that right now it would be a "guessing game" to see which axel needs to be rotated; all 4 would probably needed to be rotated at 15 per rotor($60) and, $100 labor." So, I'm not sure if this guy is bsing me or what. But should I do it? If i were, I would want to do the back two rotors first, right?

If you have a warped rotor, any reputable shop should be able to isolate a bad rotor with a dial indicator, a device that rides against the rotor surface when rotated and it will measure the runout of the rotor. If you have a warped rotor, only solution is resurfacing/machining or replacement of the rotor and I would recommend doing that in axle sets. Never heard of rotating rotors to find a bad one. You also can't tell if a rotor is slightly warped by an eyeball inspection which is what it sounds like you got. I think I would take my car elsewhere if I were you. You could end up with a big repair bill if you're not careful and informed.

In re-reading your post, I'm sure that you misinterperted what the mechanic said. He didn't tell you that your rotors needed to be rotated, he told you that your rotors needed to be "turned". Big difference. I would tackle my front brakes first because they do most of the work.

a mineke shop should definitely be able to check the runout of your rotors, of course that takes time and time is money. $15/rotor to have them turned isn't a bad price, you just have to watch out that they don't go below the minimum allowed thickness of the rotor after machining. The amount that they machine off the rotors will depend on how badly it's warped. You would think that a warped rotor on your front wheels would give you some feedback in your steering wheel. Without driving your car and feeling the vibration I can't tell you whether the problem is front or rear, it's just that the front brakes work harder in stopping the car and normally problems show up there before on the rear. Good luck.

a mineke shop should definitely be able to check the runout of your rotors, of course that takes time and time is money.  $15/rotor to have them turned isn't a bad price, you just have to watch out that they don't go below the minimum allowed thickness of the rotor after machining.  The amount that they machine off the rotors will depend on how badly it's warped.  You would think that a warped rotor on your front wheels would give you some feedback in your steering wheel.  Without driving your car and feeling the vibration I can't tell you whether the problem is front or rear, it's just that the front brakes work harder in stopping the car and normally problems show up there before on the rear.  Good luck.

The only vibration i get in the steering wheel is when i start hitting 60mph +, where it goes on and off

The only vibration i get in the steering wheel is when i start hitting 60mph +, where it goes on and off

This statement usually is associated with bad alignment, worn tires, &/or worn suspension parts:

worn ball joints - usually make the car "wander" and in need of constant steering compensation.

Worn tie rod ends can do the same an make for "shaking" & loos handling

worn Strut bar bushings usually make big "clunk" when you hit bumps or potholes.

Your tires are worn & in need of alignment? Are they in good shape? Is there tread wear on the inside or outside edge of the tires?

Oberg's statements are 100% accurate - he knows his stuff :cheers: