Just Bought A 92 Sc400. Some Questions...

Hello Everyone =)

Just bought a 92 sc400 with 156k. Some things I noticed and I was hoping I could get some experienced advice on:

-at speeds above 70mph, the steering wheel shakes a bit. tread on the tires looks good.

-the brake is really soft compared to other cars i've driven. (have to depress pedal pretty far to feel the car brake). is this normal? i haven't had a chance to check the brake pads yet, but there's no squeaking or anything when i brake.

-with the climate control on, there's a strange smell. it's kind of like a combination musty/burning smell. not alarmingly burning smell, but it's there.

-needs new trunk lifts. how much do these go for?

-small rattling from the passenger door. sounds like something from the wood panels. is it easy to take apart?

-the bar that extends from the top of the door to the upper window/door trim is peeling. it looks like it's chrome underneath with some kind of black plastic covering glued on. is there a good way to fix this? i don't want to buy a whole new trim just for this.

any other tips/suggestions for a first time lexus owner are welcome!

my last car was a 97 mitsubishi eclipse turbo.

thanks in advance

Alot of times when the car gets unstable at high speeds the lower control arm bushings are shot. Very common with SC400's. Usually the upper bushing are ok. I know that before I had my arm bushings replaced there would be a loose sounding "dink-dink" when I drove over cross-seams on the road. After fixing these this changed to a solid sounding "thap-thap". Highway driving became incredibly stable too. I would also suggest getting a full set of Tokico Blues shocks put on, at the same time. I bought my set off of Ebay. I think he is still selling them. A four wheel alignment would also be highly recommended. Your brakes sound like they may have air in the system. You may want to have someone do a complete fluid replacement on the ABS system. Who knows how long its been. A source for just the control arm bushings, to avoid spending like $700 for each full arm, is www.tmengineering.net

Exact part number Trunk Lifts/Shocks from an auto parts store and dealer have both been priced to me at $130 each! So I've stuck with a stick prop. :angry:

I may try a junk yard one day when I get around to it, highly doubt those shocks will have much more life in them though.

The rattling noise you are hearing is not from the wood panel, but from the metal door release latch lever behind the panel. Take off the door panel (instructions can be found in the forum) and look at the metal cutout that screws onto the back of the door handle release. The ?three? bolts there are more than likely loose. I had the same problem and this was what was rattling. I also superglued all the screws in my door frame and then sound deadened the panels while I had them out. Since the doors in the SC are so large, the sound deadening REALLY helps make the car even quieter.

thanks for all the great advice so far. an update:

i went to get my car registered and inspected today and i failed the inspection. turns out:

-need 2 new front tires. uneven wear. inside of the tires are worn down while the outside looks ok still.

-need 2 new front brake pads. they are almost gone.

-need a 4 wheel alignment (not necessary for the inspection, but of course i'll get it done so i don't have the problem again).

this might explain the high-speed instability and soft braking =)

i think i might just go all out and get new rims/tires so i don't wind up double spending for things later on. (different size tires, brake service and alignment)

i would like recommendations for the following, based on quality and of course price:

-drilled/slotted rotors

-good brake pads

-SS brake lines

-rims (17 or 18, preferably a little wider than stock, but no rubbing issues, maybe 245ish width)

-tires

thanks =)

i've got 10 days to get this done!

i'll definitely take the advice on the sound deadening thing when fixing that rattling. less noise = good. dynamat?

also, anyone know a good place to get this done in or near NYC?

Exact part number Trunk Lifts/Shocks from an auto parts store and dealer have both been priced to me at $130 each! So I've stuck with a stick prop.  :angry:

I may try a junk yard one day when I get around to it, highly doubt those shocks will have much more life in them though.

I ordered trunk lifts through e-bay for $35.00 a pair. I had to use a Dremel tool to cut the ball and screw mount from the old lifts. They fit fine but had a lot of power. I would recommend try changing one side first. If you set your beeeer on the spoiler and hit the trunk opener it will launch the beer a bout 15 ft.

I had that same wear on the inside of the tires. When you go to get your alignment the guys going to tell you that he cant align the vehicle because your lower control arm bushings are shot. That is a common indicator of shot lower control arm bushings in an SC, and are unfortunately pretty common. When you fix the bushings, throw on a set of Tokico blues and get a good 4-wheel alignment you will be shocked at the difference. Your highway driving becomes incredibly stable. 90mph feels like 60. Your cornering becomes unreal. I thought the car felt really good before. lol

A set of new premium tires would be an obvious must as well.

i've got 4 continental extremecontacts en route to me as we speak.

do i just have to replace the bushings or the control arms? how much this cost?

do they make aftermarket urethane type bushings?

will the tokiko blues make the ride any rougher? will my ride height be lower? do i keep the existing springs or change those too?

i don't want to lower the car any. tire clearance to fender is already slim and i scrape the front bumper sometimes as is. i like a good drive, but i don't want to lose comfort. it's one reason i am getting rid of the eclipse :ph34r:

I had that same wear on the inside of the tires. When you go to get your alignment the guys going to tell you that he cant align the vehicle because your lower control arm bushings are shot. That is a common indicator of shot lower control arm bushings in an SC, and are unfortunately pretty common. When you fix the bushings, throw on a set of Tokico blues and get a good 4-wheel alignment you will be shocked at the difference. Your highway driving becomes incredibly stable. 90mph feels like 60. Your cornering becomes unreal. I thought the car felt really good before. lol

A set of new premium tires would be an obvious must as well.

well i took it to a dealer for a diagnostic.

$5700 estimate! they are nuts

they told me this is what i need and should get:

-4 struts and strut tops. i was thinking of getting the tokiko blues if i gotta do this anyway. what the hell are strut tops? should i do springs too?

-4 rotors/pads/tires. i looked around and saw 2 places that sold ebc green stuff pads, but it looked like they only sold the front set. if i decide to go slotted/drilled rotors, i should get more durable pads, like semi-metallic? anyone know of a good place to purchase this stuff?

-rack & pinion leaking. not a bad leak. this is too much for me to replace right now until i need to. is there a way to repair the seals?

-4 tires

-60k service (800+ bucks!). i'm gonna skip this for now.