New To Forum-how Do I Use The E-shift?

AnnieC

Hi, I'm new to the forum and the Lexus line, just bought my 2004 IS300 two months ago. I was wondering how to use the E-shift correctly. I noticed that even in Park, when I shift to the "M" or manual mode, it's automatically in the 5th gear. I would shift down to the 2nd gear and get moving. Am I doing it correctly? I've had a lesson before in driving a standard stick-shift car, but I'm not very good at that since I've always driven automatics.

I love the car except for the terrible gas mileage, I get 19-20 mpg with mostly highway driving (with approximately 40% of the time in congested traffic), and only 17 mpg during city driving. Compared to my previous cars, Toyota and Acura, these gas mileages are terrible, so I thought that driving in the manual mode might help a little?

Appreciate any help. Thanks,

AnnieC

Hi, I'm new to the forum and the Lexus line, just bought my 2004 IS300 two months ago.  I was wondering how to use the E-shift correctly.  I noticed that even in Park, when I shift to the "M" or manual mode, it's automatically in the 5th gear.  I would shift down to the 2nd gear and get moving.  Am I doing it correctly?  I've had a lesson before in driving a standard stick-shift car, but I'm not very good at that since I've always driven automatics. 

I love the car except for the terrible gas mileage, I get 19-20 mpg with mostly highway driving (with approximately 40% of the time in congested traffic), and only 17 mpg during city driving.  Compared to my previous cars, Toyota and Acura, these gas mileages are terrible, so I thought that driving in the manual mode might help a little? 

Appreciate any help.  Thanks,

AnnieC

My experience is that it really depends on your driving style. The programed shift on my Sportcross is actually very good and probably provides the best fuel economy for daily commutes. I find that when I drive in manual mode the fun factor always comes into play. If you are very disciplined, you may be able to squeeze a mile or two out of your go-juice, but it may take more attention than you are willing to pay.

A good rule is to keep the tach as consistant as possible without over reving or bogging the motor. On flat land it is fairly simple because the motor has enough torque to maintain good RPM and ground speed and eshifting to 5th rapidly will get your best economy. The trick here is to avoid rapid accelleration and decelleration, and try to adjust your speed without using the brake. Stop and go driving is your worst enemy. Keeping in mind that openings in the traffic will create this intense desire to acheive maximum speed emmediately therefore wasting any savings that you may make by maintaining a constant speed in traffic.

It is like a bell curve... Your vehicle is designed to acheive its best fuel economy at highway speeds, so anything either side of 70mph is using more fuel to propell your vehicle, particularly on the upper end. Reaching freeway speeds effeciently requires a brisk but smooth acceleration up to about 55 and then easing back until you reach 60-70mph. Its the old theory of relativity... For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, with your automatic you will want to get the car rolling quickly then let up on the accelerator easing it in to high range and holding the tach constant.

Even idling is an expensive venture. Here in WA I will spend as much as 20 minutes of my 1.5 hour commute idling, for that I get 0 mpg. If you have the luxury of long distance freeway drives your cruise control is your best friend, and it helps you to relax.

It is kind of like racing a sail boat, everything matters! Avoid unnecessary steering wheel movement and switching lanes, since each sideward movement causes fuel consuming drag. Keep windows closed at highway speeds, use internal venting. Avoid using the air conditioner at lower speeds. Respond to wind forces by driving slowly into the wind and then letting it help you while driving with the wind, and draft whenever possible. Take advantage of rolling resistance to help you slow down as opposed to braking.

The bottom line is you have to pay to play... There are hundreds of vehicles with better fuel economy but they just arent as much fun and they dont look as nice either... I think that driving attitude is the most important equation to fuel economy, if you drive like you want to save fuel you will.

t is like a bell curve... Your vehicle is designed to acheive its best fuel economy at highway speeds, so anything either side of 70mph is using more fuel to propell your vehicle, particularly on the upper end. Reaching freeway speeds effeciently requires a brisk but smooth acceleration up to about 55 and then easing back until you reach 60-70mph. Its the old theory of relativity... For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, with your automatic you will want to get the car rolling quickly then let up on the accelerator easing it in to high range and holding the tach constant.

First time I ever heard Newton's third law called the theory of relativity.

BTW. The optimum speed for mileage is 45-55. Above that speed, wind drag comes into play. Also drafting on the highway is extremely dangerous and should not be encouraged.

t is like a bell curve... Your vehicle is designed to acheive its best fuel economy at highway speeds, so anything either side of 70mph is using more fuel to propell your vehicle, particularly on the upper end. Reaching freeway speeds effeciently requires a brisk but smooth acceleration up to about 55 and then easing back until you reach 60-70mph. Its the old theory of relativity... For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So, with your automatic you will want to get the car rolling quickly then let up on the accelerator easing it in to high range and holding the tach constant.

First time I ever heard Newton's third law called the theory of relativity.

BTW. The optimum speed for mileage is 45-55. Above that speed, wind drag comes into play. Also drafting on the highway is extremely dangerous and should not be encouraged.

OOPS, mixed my Einstein and Newton... too much NOS, back to the garage....

Hi, I'm new to the forum and the Lexus line, just bought my 2004 IS300 two months ago.  I was wondering how to use the E-shift correctly.  I noticed that even in Park, when I shift to the "M" or manual mode, it's automatically in the 5th gear.  I would shift down to the 2nd gear and get moving.  Am I doing it correctly?  I've had a lesson before in driving a standard stick-shift car, but I'm not very good at that since I've always driven automatics. 

I love the car except for the terrible gas mileage, I get 19-20 mpg with mostly highway driving (with approximately 40% of the time in congested traffic), and only 17 mpg during city driving.  Compared to my previous cars, Toyota and Acura, these gas mileages are terrible, so I thought that driving in the manual mode might help a little? 

Appreciate any help.  Thanks,

AnnieC

The 2JZ engine is not great with gas mileage. In return, the engine is pretty much indestructable.