Please Help

slate67

I posted a question re: placement of lift to place front end on jack stands and it was moved to the GS 400 site. No responses there. :cries: Can anyone point me in the right direction re: this placement so that I can drain and replace my tranny fluid? I have a 1998 GS 400 and bottles of T-IV waiting to meet each other. Thanks so much.

slate, look in the owners manual. They usually give you the jack points.

On my ES there is a frame cross-member just in front of the engine that has a rounded "bulb", this is where the floor jack goes. I usually jack it high enought to get 2 jack stands under the car for safety. The jack stands go under the frame rails just behind the front tires. The GS should/may be similar.

here are some pictures to help.

ATF_Change_003.jpg

ATF_Change_004.jpg

I hope this helps.

steviej

steviej:

Thanks for the info. I viewed your tranny file and could not see where you jacked it. Does your vehicler have a plastic skirt underneath the front end (beneath the radiator and timing belt section of the engine I had to remove this to change my oil. If you do have it, does this need to be removed before jacking?

My dilemma was that I used the jack points on the frame to jack the car and then had nowhere to place the stands. I will also look at the underside more closely. I couldn't find the drain hex nut. As I said in another post, in the Camry and Sienna the oil and tranny drains are located on opposite sides of the front end. I am looking for a repair manual on e-bay and hope to find one soon. The cost of a set froma dealer is over 200.00 and e-bay appears to have the sets for $125.

Thanks for all of your assistance. Go Sox. Screw the curse (I hope that is not an unacceptable word on the forum).

Slate

I've found using drive up ramps made oil changes very easy. I used to use a jack with stands but it was more of a hassle.

Thanks. I considered short ramps but the clearance was too low to get the front end up hgh enough to get underneath. Have a great day.

I've found using drive up ramps made oil changes very easy. I used to use a jack with stands but it was more of a hassle.

Thanks. I considered short ramps but the clearance was too low to get the front end up hgh enough to get underneath. Have a great day.

Get Rhino Ramps from Autozone or similar shop....

Very good, low angle ramps - I use them on my LS all the time.

Very safe way to go.......