Vsc Challenges

sportcrossing

Any suggustions for disarming the VSC on my 2002 Sportcross? Although I think it is a great invention for the novice driver it almost drove the car off Sherman pass in WA at about 90mph. I understand newer models have a switch. Is there anything I can do to upgrade or bypass?

why are you driving the Sherman Pass at 90mph in the first place.

If you turn the TRAC control off, you will may achieve the feel you seek.

Think twice about this.

steviej

Steviej,

If you ever get a chance to make it to NE WA, Sherman pass offers some of the most awe inspiring scenery, and the road becons the edge of the envelope driving. It is a little scary when you cant power through a drift... I finally found the TRAC button under the radio, had to pull out the owners manual to locate it. four months in the car never saw it there. Thanks! I am totally impressed with the IS300 Sportcross, it's like driving a cart with adjustable seats, and airconditioning...

JonA...

TRAC / VSC... Okay still learning Lexus lingo... Maybe someday I will be as fast as you... My weekend job is driving sprint cars, so this is all new to me. Us old guys are used to making decisions for ourselves and not having to rely on a computer to do the driving... I must admit that this Sportcross is a better balanced ride than a lot of stock, and superstocks, that I have driven, it's a little under powered but gets the job done... Have fun, life is only one tach dive away!

:P

Okay so I had it partially correct... Thanks for the input. Here is what I have determined

Lexus TRAC senses the onset of wheelspin, then selectively applies the brakes and automatically transfers power to the driving wheel with better grip. TRAC works in conjunction with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC). VSC senses the onset of a loss of traction in a turn and orchestrates the brakes and throttle accordingly.

Of course factors including speed, road conditions, driver steering input, and throttle position, all will affect whether VSC will be effective or detrimental in what the vehicle determines is "loss of control".

From what I understand about the VSC it is primarily a steering control system, and TRAC is a combination ABS/torque application. Understanding this... switching off the TRAC will not stop the VSC from dampening the throttle and correcting steering angle... A little scary...

Am I the only one that has experienced this?

that is how I figure it too and have experienced both systems in action.

steviej

Really appreciate your comments. As with any vehicle that is new to the driver you want to know what your limitations are. I am very satisfied with this car, it meets my needs for traveling long distances, and adds a spot of fun to the drive.

I was able to get it on the track for the first time last night. It performed as expected, and ran very consistant laps. For a stock ride the Lexus boys really did a good job with this one.