Anyone Driven The New Land Rover Lr3 Yet?

teutonictrio

• 3 weeks later...
The LR3 should be at dealers now (a 'tester' anyway) and I wonder if anyone has driven one and can compare it to their GX470.  We were on the list but bought the GX instead - hope not to regret the decision.

u won't regret it, cuz i don't trust Land Rover... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to see a LR3 today and I did not like it. Ford is doing the same thing with Land Rover has it is doing with Jaguar, cheaping it up. The inside of the car looked very plastic. The woodtrim option consist of stick on wood like the other ford products. The overall quality of the car looked the same as an Explorer. It does not even compare to the looks of the GX. The one thing I did like was the rear door. It opens similar to the Land Crusier, one part up, one part down. I have always like Land Rover because of thier history and off road performace. I was very disapointed with the new LR3. I would love to see a head to head between the two.

My local Landrover dealer got a truckload of them in, and I'll be taking a drive in one on monday. I'm not really planning on trading my GX, I love it, but I'm always interested in what else is out there.

hey, u be careful out there. you know sales people (no offense to anyone). careful, or ur Gx my end up as a used car and taking home a new LR3! lol :lol:

The LR3 should be at dealers now (a 'tester' anyway) and I wonder if anyone has driven one and can compare it to their GX470.  We were on the list but bought the GX instead - hope not to regret the decision.

I just drove an LR3 this morning. The dealer let me take it for a couple hours to really give it the once over. My first impressions.

The interior is nowhere near as nice as the GX470. It does have more storage cubbyholes though, including two glove boxes, and a nice deep center console storage bin. No birds eye maple, no french seam seats and door trim. Lots of cheap feeling dark plastic.

The LR3 does not ride as well as my Lexus. It's composed, and it was rattle free, but I felt the bumps more then I do in my Lexus.

The Lexus is much quieter inside then the LR3, both in regard to road noise and engine noise.

The LR3 has a usable third row seat, unlike the Lexus. The second row seats in the LR3 however, do not have as much leg room as the Lexus. It also didn't appear to have as much width in that second seat for fitting three adults there.

The LR3 V8 has more horsepower, but it sure didn't feel any quicker.

The LR3 has a better system for choosing the type of 4wd gearing to use. There is a 4 position rotary switch on the center console, with english language settings for "normal", mud/snow, ruts, or rock climbing. That seems like a much more elegant way to do it then the GX's low range gear lever.

After driving the LR3 for a couple hours, It felt good to get back into my Lexus. I won't be trading it in on an LR3 anytime soon. :)

I just drove an LR3 this morning. The dealer let me take it for a couple hours to really give it the once over. My first impressions.

The interior is nowhere near as nice as the GX470. It does have more storage cubbyholes though, including two glove boxes, and a nice deep center console storage bin. No birds eye maple, no french seam seats and door trim. Lots of cheap feeling dark plastic.

The LR3 does not ride as well as my Lexus. It's composed, and it was rattle free, but I felt the bumps more then I do in my Lexus.

The Lexus is much quieter inside then the LR3, both in regard to road noise and engine noise.

The LR3 has a usable third row seat, unlike the Lexus. The second row seats in the LR3 however, do not have as much leg room as the Lexus. It also didn't appear to have as much width in that second seat for fitting three adults there.

The LR3 has a better system for choosing the type of 4wd gearing to use. There is a 4 position rotary switch on the center console, with english language settings for "normal", mud/snow, ruts, or rock climbing. That seems like a much more elegant way to do it then the GX's low range gear lever.

After driving the LR3 for a couple hours, It felt good to get back into my Lexus. I won't be trading it in on an LR3 anytime soon. :)

Motor Trend named the LR3 the 2005 Sport Utility of the Year???? Anyway, I took a look at their site and judging from the other contenders, it's possible.

Enjoyed reading your review of the LR3. Thanks.

Motor Trend named the LR3 the 2005 Sport Utility of the Year???? Anyway, I took a look at their site and judging from the other contenders, it's possible.

Enjoyed reading your review of the LR3. Thanks.

i know, i was kinda surprised! :blink: