General ?'s About Lexus Es300

I just want to do a comparison of other owners who have 94-96 (or 92-96 for the exception of the different engine designs that ive recently found out about in 92 and 93) just to see if anybody else that has a 1st Gen. ES300 has any of the same quirks as mine (a 96 ES300) does.

1). Firm leather front seats. I think the Coach Editions might have cushier leather/seats, but are all 1st Gen. ES300 seats a little on the firm side (especially on the seat bottoms)???

2). Weak Seat Heaters. Ive read a few posts on this topic... Mine doesnt seem to warm the seat bottoms, but do fine "while driving" on the seat backs, but are fairly weak while the car is idling with the seat warmers activated. I assume this is normal for 1st Gen. ES300's(except my apparantly non-working heated seat bottoms :D )???

2). Wander-ish steering. I know 1st Gen. ES300's steering is pretty light... But does anybody elses kind of drift to one side when your driving on a sloped road (if the road is tilted slightly to the left per-say, and your in the far left lane and you let go of the steering wheel, the car drifts slightly to the left)??? Mine does, not sure if its the lightness of the steering or just that I may need a Balance & Alignment :P

3). Dirty Headlight Lenses. Is this from the car being neglected or is this a normal issue because of age??? Ive written a post about this and have seen many 1st Gen. ES300's with this problem. But taking them off and putting them in the oven to get them open and cleaning them sure does beat paying $500+ per new headlight housing at the dealer either way :) .

4). Is the engine supposed to be SUPER silky while in Park at idle to the point where you cant feel it running??? Mine is pretty smooth (although a little more course on cold mornings until it gets warm), but even when its warm and is started up, I can feel it running just slightly through the seats (not so much that it feels like I need Motor Mounts or anything, just a very slight feel of the engine running through the seats). Ive read alot of posts and reviews saying how smooth these engines are, and they are indeed, but are they supposed to be THAT smooth???

4). A slight thud when placed in Reverse. Anybody elses do this? Mine does it even when warm... Not so much that it feels like there is a problem, but it doesnt do this when Drive is engaged.

5). "Float like a Boat". Mine rides very well, but not mid-80's "Cadillac-ish" like some posts seem to portray. I (and my passengers) do "acknowledge" the bumps in the road... Its not jarring or anything like the struts/shocks are worn out, but you do know when you hit a patch of road impurities. Are these 1st Gens supposed to float like Lincolns on the road like some posts lead to believe???

6). Dash Lighting. If you dim the lighting, will this preserve the dash bulbs so that they last longer??? Mine still works well for the most part (I have a very small section on the Tachometer that is a little dimmer than the rest), but I turn the lighting down hoping that this will prevent the dash lighting from burning out like I hear many 1st Gen. Owners complaining about.

7). Does that button above the Gear Shifter REALLY make the car go faster??? :D

I know some of these questions are a little tedious... But since it is a fairly old car (although very pleasing to the eye), I just wanted to see if these issues that ive notcied are normal. Thanks guys.

I have a 93.

1. Firm leather front seats. Same here seats are a little on the firm side.

2. Weak Seat Heaters. My seat heaters seem to work pretty good. I have no idea if i just got lucky or what. :)

3. Wander-ish steering. I guess if the road is tilted slightly to the left then it would drift slightly to the left. I have no idea i never tried it.

4. Dirty Headlight Lenses. My one headlight is a little foggy. I either need a new one or it needs cleaned one of the 2.

5. Is the engine supposed to be SUPER silky while in Park at idle to the point where you cant feel it running??? Well, with my car it is pretty darn silky. :D There was a few times that i parked put it in reverse and pulled the brake up (i have a manual transmission) then started talking to my passenger and forgot that i did not shut the car off and stalled it by releasing the clutch. Duh! :rolleyes:

6. A slight thud when placed in Reverse. This one i can't answer.

7. "Float like a Boat". My car rides pretty smooth, but yeah i still know when i go over a bump.

8. Dash Lighting. Yes keeping it dim will prevent it from burning out. At least that is what i heard. Mine needs fixed, but for now i am not worried about it.

9. Does that button above the Gear Shifter REALLY make the car go faster??? That i don't know. :D

1). Firm leather front seats. I think the Coach Editions might have cushier

My leather are soft after putting some hazelnut butter... still look new (thats what all my passengers say)...smell is also a killer.

2). Weak Seat Heaters. Ive read a few posts on this topic... Mine doesnt seem to

After changing to a better battery it improves. Get the yellow top.

2). Wander-ish steering. I know 1st Gen. ES300's steering is pretty light... But

Solid steering no wander whatsoever...straight as an arrow.

3). Dirty Headlight Lenses. Is this from the car being neglected or is this a normal

Clear as can be...it depends if you put it in the sun (uv makes them foggy I have been told.

4). Is the engine supposed to be SUPER silky while in Park at idle to the point

Mine are silky...I was shocked when I first drove the car coming from an old subaru utitily wagon. However, at times it gets rough when stopped at red lights.

4). A slight thud when placed in Reverse. Anybody elses do this? Mine does it even

None.

5). "Float like a Boat". Mine rides very well, but not mid-80's "Cadillac-ish" like

Mine feels firm...not like a Cadillac at all...but on a straight smooth highway it feels like a cadillac. Depends alot on tires.

6). Dash Lighting. If you dim the lighting, will this preserve the dash bulbs so that

Yes.

7). Does that button above the Gear Shifter REALLY make the car go faster??? :D

Yes. I use it only when I am taking my friends to the emergency hospital. B) ...getting away from the mafia. ;)