IS 250 mystery fluid leak

Erika C

Hi Everyone,

I brought my '06 IS250 AWD to Meineke recently for them to check out some things -  the car has 180K miles, wasn't riding as smoothly, along with some concerning smells here and there (occasional: burning smell, sulphur, antifreeze).  Mechanic determined I needed new radiator, drive belt, 4 CV axles. I had the work done, and an oil change. Car is driving beautifully, but 5 days later, was leaking a clear oil-like fluid, like baby oil, puddling under the car close to the front end, slightly off center towards the driver side. Did not smell funky, kind of a neutral smell. I brought the car back to Meineke, with the fluid soaking the paper towel that i stuck under the car so they had something to look at for quick identification. They said it was coolant, that a clamp on the radiator came loose, and installed a different one. Car was fine, no leaks, until 3 days later, same clear oily fluid dripping in the same spot. Brought it back to Meineke today, they told me I now have a completely different problem, this time it's not coolant but a differential fluid leak (my car is automatic transmission), and that I need to go to a transmission shop.  My question to the mechanic, why would a coolant leak (first leak when i brought it back), be the same exact color, viscosity, and location as a differential leak.  They said sometimes fluids look and smell the same (ummm really?). Wouldn't a differential fluid leak be located more towards the middle of the undercarriage, and brown in color, bc the car has 180k miles? They checked brake and power steering fluid, bc i asked them to, they said those were fine.

Would anyone have an idea what the clear oily leak could be?  I hate to waste time and money at a transmission shop if that's not even close to what the problem is.

thanks!

I would definitely stay away from a transmission shop, especially if your transmission is working fine.
You should get a second opinion. It doesn't have to be by a dealership but try to research shops with good yelp ratings or shops that are recommended by coworkers or friends.

Power steering fluid is clear. Coolant is red, yellow, green or blue. Automatic transmission fluid is between red and brown depending on condition. Red is great. Brown, not so great but no need to panic.

Stop going to Mieneke. They told me when I bought a tail pipe there that if I didn't get new shocks from them that day my transmission would fail soon. 
Try putting cardboard under the car to see if the fluid has any color. Maybe tape white paper to the cardboard as a bonus. 

Hi Dave, Mike - thank you so much for the speedy responses. There wasn't an oil puddle under my car this morning, first time in 4 days. I've been under the hood to check out the power steering fluid (thinking it was all leaked out), couldn't find the reservoir, searched the internet, and it seems the 2006 IS250 has an electric power steering system. The mystery leak isn't power steering fluid. What I did find, my coolant reservoir is bone dry - and no puddles under the car, might be because there's no coolant.  But, I'm wondering  if Meineke mechanic mistakenly put the wrong fluid in the coolant reservoir, unless there is a coolant out there that's like baby oil.  I filled up the reservoir to max level, with Prestone, red in color. If puddles of red appear under the car, I'll know for sure there's a coolant leak, and i'll take it to another mechanic, not back to Meineke.  It seems weird they didn't even check the coolant level yesterday since they said that was the problem last week when I brought it for the same issue.  

• Like 1

You're welcome, Erika. Please keep an eye on your coolant temperature gauge, also. If all the coolant was sucked into the engine, there could be air in the system, which may cause temps to rise beyond what it should be. If that's the case, the air needs to be purged, typically at more than one bleed plug on the engine.

FYI brake fluid is also clear but that would be around the wheels and it sounds like you have a coolant leak.

Good idea using red coolant. Old coolant tends to lose color over time. It doesn't become clear, just a lot less bold colored. So if it ponds on say, concrete it may appear clear.