Tinted Windows

Leroy

Not sure if you guys in the US have Tint King, but up here they give a lifetime guarantee on their tints. I believe the quote for my car was just over $200 CDN for everything but the front window.

I would make sure the place you go to has a guarantee and they should have been in business for a while.

I don't like handing the keys to ANYONE! <_<

Aaron

So what is standard practice on the windshield tint (aftermarket)? I want to get my windows tinted, but want it to look like it would coming off the Lexus floor if they tinted it for me. Do you leave the windshield alone, put the "strip", use a lighter tint strip, or what?

Not busting on anybody else's style, we're all different, but I don't want it to look "tricked out" I want a factory elegent Lexus look like I have now.

(95 SC400, 48k miles, gold w/tan interior, all stock.)

On tin warranty: Usually the warranty is provided by the manufacturer of the tint film. DO NOT accept any film that does not include a lifetime warranty in writing. Avoid the "poly" films, as they will discolor and bubble after only a few years. Make sure that a "metallic" film is being used. Poly film turns purple or fades, metallic film resists that much better.

I prefer SolarGard brand films as a good balance between price and perormance. I dislike Llumar films, but that is just a personal thing. Formula 1 film is OK, but pricey. I would avoid SolarTek films.

You probably want to go for a neutral color film, even though bronze tint is popular in some circles. I dislike mirror tint because it's too dangerous for other drivers. The glare from the sun in early evening can be lethal. The "best" films are metallized with titanium, but be careful because they are hard for the tinter to work with. They tend to not shrink as well as standard films, and won't conform as easily to a non-flat piece of glass.

One of the best ways to tell the ability of the tinter is whether he (or she) can do the rear window with a single piece of film. The rear window is the most dificult window, and good tinters pide themselves on doing a one-piece rear whenever possible. I have seen as many a 15! pieces of film used on a rear window.

After the job is done, look for dirt or bubbles, especially near the edges.

Once you have the car tinted, NEVER EVER clean the film with cleaners that contain ammonia.

A good tint shop is the best reference for laws and enforcement, as those vary wildly. I live in Tampa, Florida, but learned to tint in Orlando. Things like mirror or colored tint are mostly ignored in Tampa, even though they are illegal by state law, but will get you pulled over real quick in Orlando.

I hope this helps.