Recall

willpatt

Even though I am very new to this forum, I know that the sludge topic has been discussed to death. However, I hope someone will help me. I just purchased a 2001 RX300 with 33,000 miles. I am having a small amount of smoke when I start the engine - but runs great. I assumed it was SLUDGE and called the dealer who said that it was, but even though it is under full warranty, they would not repair because there is no proof of regular oil changes. The 15K and 30K full maintenance was performed at the dealer. I have read on this forum about a sludge recall/warranty and was wondering if there is anything I can do besides eat the cost at this point. He said it would cost about $1000 to repair. Is the fix something I could get done cheaper or does the lexus dealer need to do it?? Thank you for any help, William

Did you purchase this vehicle as a certified pre owned vehicle from a Lexus dealer?? Either way, I would contact Lexus corporate and start pushing the issue.

If a vehicle had its 15K and 30K work done at the dealer, then usually that person would have had the oil changed as well even though you don't have the records. I just heard about an engine replaced at my Lexus dealer where the owner never changed the oil and after 30K or 40K the engine died. Lexus paid to replace it.

I think you can make some headway. Maybe you just don't have the right dealer.

Tom

If the only proof you can show is of the 15k and 30k maintenances then no, Lexus will not and should not pay for the repair. Every 15,000 miles is not an acceptable oil change interval on this vehicle. If the truck does have sludge at only 33,000 miles its about 90% chance that it did indeed not have those regularly scheduled oil changes when it was driven by the previous owner. Some people think its only neccisary to have the car serviced on the "major" services, this is not true.

You said you just bought the car, like jbar asked did you buy it certified pre-owned from a Lexus dealer? This might be your only chance as they're supposed to check for sludge and previous oil changes before certifying the trucks for sale. If its not CPO did wherever you bought it from have any kind of warranty?

The Lexus 4yr50k warranty that every Lexus comes with does NOT cover any damage or repairs due to owner negligence, failure to maintain the vehicle as laid out in the maintenance schedule is considered "owner negligence". Now, because that specific engine is predisposed to gelling Lexus has warrantied the engine against gelling to I believe 8 yrs 100k miles if you can demonstrate at least oil changes once every 10,000 miles. Now even this interval is much longer than the 5000/7500 mile interval laid out in the maintenance schedule as it is so Lexus isn't likely to pay for a repair stretched out any more. I'm sure they do in isolated cases though...

I think jbar is on the right track, stay on them, try a different dealer.

This came from www.BobistheOilGuy.com

You can try to use Auto-Rx and see if that would get rid of the sludge problem.

I used it once at 45,000 miles on my RX300 and the car has been running fine. But I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 since day one and change oil every 3000-4000 miles. The car has no sludge problem at all. I just tried it to see if it makes any difference.