Traction Control

laxdude3622

I do not have the heated seat/traction control options on my car :( . But I was wondering how much does the traction control really help for those of you who have it? And does it affect your perfomance or anything?? Thanks. Also how much would it be to get heated seats just wondering?

Not sure if the heated seats would connect up to your connectors or not, but I imagine the seats would be expensive if you found them. I do like the heated seats though, used them tonight. :D

I always turn the traction control off in my car in the dry, however it saved my !Removed! in the rain once. I was on a two lane road coming out of a corner behind a slow person with a light rain happening, and I steped on it to pass and the tail started to kick... the TRAC kicked in, grabbed the rear brakes and let off the throttle and the tail drifted back in behind where it should be.

Unfortunately my mom abuses the TRAC in her LS400 in the winter, uses it all the time when pulling away from lights and I'm worried all that excessive use of the rear ABS will warp the rotors eventually. I don't like the idea that my drivetrain is trying to push the car, and my brakes are trying to stop all that force at the same time.

I will probably mod my traction control and remove the ABS all together eventually. I want my traction control to close the throttle plate just enough to keep the tires hazing slightly.

HTH,

Aaron

The traction control in the SC do not engage the rear brakes. It only cuts the throttle back when it detects slippage from the rear wheels. VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) or ESP (Electronic Stability Program) on newer vehicles actually modulate the brakes on the wheel in need.

• 10 months later...

dont worry about trac control but i cant tell you how many times ABS has saved my a$$.... wow, coming from a city of bad drivers like miami... no way man... i would be road kill without abs. The thing with miami is it rains every day. Literally, everyday like from 3 to 4 it rains, then in half an hour, its sunny without a cloud in the sky. The problem is that means at one point in time throught the day, the roads are all wet, mix that with my fellow immigrants that dont know how to drive right, and the traffic from it all, and boom, you get the avg of 900 accidents in miami-dade county every 4 days. Also why the insurance premiums are the highest in the WORLD... no joke. My lawyer has a caddy escalade that costs him more in insurance here, than his 360 modena and 575 maranello did in NY... combined... ouch.

juancho

• 11 months later...

The traction control in the SC do not engage the rear brakes. It only cuts the throttle back when it detects slippage from the rear wheels. VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) or ESP (Electronic Stability Program) on newer vehicles actually modulate the brakes on the wheel in need.

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed this error and thought it should be corrected.

ALL SC300's and 400's with traction control use both the rear brakes and throttle to gain traction, just like sc_toy said. Remember that the car has an open differential and the ABS system is monitoring the wheels speed in relation to the other. When one wheel turns slower than the other 4, the car is starting to skid and ABS takes control of that one wheel and pulses the brakes. When one rear wheel turns faster than the others, that wheel is spinning and ABS is applied to that wheel while the throttle is reduced. This sends the spinning wheel's force thru the open differential to the wheel that has more traction. So the TRAC trades power for traction. If TRAC only modulated the throttle, it would be throttle control, not traction control and it would be totally useless.

Anyhow, it's a pretty unnecessary system if you know how to handle a rear wheel drive car in the wet or snow, but for those who don't let up on the gas when they should, it could help. I usually turn mine off. Heated seats are ok, but the SC ones take a long time to heat up, dont get very hot. Plus, they dont have a range of temps like Audi/VWs.