Potential Buyer

SNOWCRAZY

HEY THERE! I AM LOOKING AT A 93 ES 300 WITH 107,000 MILES ON IT. IT LOOKS REAL GOOD IN AND OUT. THEY REPLACED A COUPLE OF THE DASHBOARD LIGHTS SINCE THE ARMS WERE NOT LIGHTING UP. THEY REPLACED THE CV BOOTS, AND VALVE COVER GASKET. I TALKED THEM DOWN TO $6050.00. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A PRETTY GOOD DEAL?

ALSO, WHAT IS THE GAS MILEAGE I COULD EXPECT IN TOWN AND ON HIGHWAY? THANKS AND IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OPINIONS ON IT FEEL FREE TO POST THEM.

That deal isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I am not sure what your budget is, but for $500 - $1000 more you could get a '94 or even possibly a '95 with similar mileage. I would stay away from the pre '94 models. They have problems with overheating and a few other issues that were corrected in the later production years of the 1st gen ES300.

Do a search on autotrader.com. Search at "any distance" to see what else is out there. I realize that you probably won't go to Dallas to pick up a car, but it will give you a feel for what price/year/milage ES300's are out there and what their asking prices are. At that point you'll be able to compare that to your price and determine if the deal is right.

I don't know if you are dealing with a private seller or dealership, but you could save $1000 + if you buy from a private seller instead of a dealer. Who knows, you could even find that cherry with all the mainenance records in imaculate condition just waiting to be stolen.

THANKS FOR WRITING. BY OVERHEATING PROBLEMS, DO YOU MEAN SOMETHING THAT IS EASILY FIXABLE, LIE RIGHT COOLANT MIX. OR IS IT SOMETHING REALLY EXPENSIVE? MAYBE THERMOSTAT, RADIATOR, OR WHAT? IS IT MOSTLY ON LONG DRIVES, HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IN A TEST DRIVE, (10MILES,50, ETC.)ALSO DO YOU KNOW WHAT MILEAGE I MIGHT EXPECT?