How Long Will It Go?

HMac

I've got a ES300 that I'm quite happy with -- 90k in three years. I expect to continue to put 30k a year on and I'm trying to figure out how many years I can expect and if I should expect some serious repair bills. I've maintained it well and have only had to replace the tires and brakes. Your thoughts on possible mileage and cost would be much appreciated.

If the car is maintained properly with all recommended service being performed (including the vital "preventitive" maintenance), the car should provide you with reasonable trouble free service for more than 500,000 miles + B) IF the car is driven properly (IE: not abused) the engine & transmission should last the life of the car....NO exceptions. ;) In fact, in most locations......the body of the car should "give out" before the engine & tranny do. B) Mileage on a car dosen't mean much as long as the car has been cared for.

:cheers:

While I do agree with muh of what Lexusfreak says, I think that the 500K mark is somewhat unrealistic. I am at 120K now and I am hoping that I can get another 100K -150K + out of it before something major happens. I think eventually that it will get to the point that the combined cost of preventative and general maintenance over a given period will outweigh the car's value and you would be better off putting the $$ towards a downpayment on a new car.

On a related note, I think that cars that are driven daily and subjcted to high mileage over an extended period of time will outlive those that are driven sparsely. My co-worker has a 1995 Chevrolet pickup with over 300K on it. He maintains it well and drives it all the time and it runs great. On the converse, my grandmother's 1997 ford Taurus with 65K on it feels like it is about to kick the bucket because she only drives it for shorter distances a few times a week.

Well I don't entirely disagree with bran on some items he mentions.....he is right that if your cost's of keeping the car on the road are astronomical compared to what it's actually worth...the money might be better spent on another vehicle.....I didn't mention that because that's obviously common sense. B)

My boss has 585,000 miles on his 92 V6 LE Toyota Camry.......only regular maintenance (fluid changes, brakes, tires, tune up's, timing belts & the like) he has done on the car with original engine & tranny. Body is starting to go a bit because of the harsh winters we have here in Canada which is natural for a 12 (going on 13) year old car. The car is showing no signs of slowing down mechanically however. That's what one should expect from a well maintained & cared for vehicle by Lexus/Toyota....there are exceptions to be sure. 90k isn't that much mileage in the grand scale of things so enjoy! ;)

:D Thanks to all -- I'm just bringing it in for the 90k and was wondering about the timing belt -- will get that done. Sounds like my thoughts of sticking with this baby for 3-4 years before turning it over to my kids (God help the poor car then!) are reasonable. What about struts -- should I expect to replace them soon (haven't had to yet)?

485,000 on my 93 Camry LE 4cyl

144,000 on my 95 ES300

115,000 on my 97 ES300

All excellent cars Timing belt is most expensive thing and should be done at 90,000 miles. I do it myself and save some big bucks.

Don't forget the multiples.

Some people change the timing belt at 90 K and then ignore it at 180 K, 270 K, and so on.

They are very long lived vehicles when maintained well. One thing you're gonna wanna do pretty soon though, if you haen't already is shop around for a good, trustworthy, independent mechanic that knows Toyota/Lexus vehicles. The dealership doesn't seem so expensive when the car is new, but it can make maintaining an older Lexus far more expensive than paying for a new one.

One thing you're gonna wanna do pretty soon though, if you haen't already is shop around for a good, trustworthy, independent mechanic that knows Toyota/Lexus vehicles. The dealership doesn't seem so expensive when the car is new, but it can make maintaining an older Lexus far more expensive than paying for a new one.

Absolutely! This is the best advice so far. It doesn't matter how many miles it will go if you can't find a decent mechanic to take care of it.

I think I have one (comes highly recommended), and my initial dealings with him, though limited, have been very good. This 90k service/timing belt will be the first major test so.. time will tell!!

thanks again for all your input

HMac, nice to see another fellow member from CT. Where in CT are you? Hey, we have the same model year and mileage too (mine's also a 2001 and it currently has 95,600 miles). I performed the 90K service at Lexus of Westport, where I also did the 90K service for my previous '96 ES. The service of course included replacement of the timing belt and fluids like brake, differential, and coolant. I do my own oil changes and brakes, and I plan to perform the transmission service myself the next time around. The suspension for my '01 ES is still pretty healthy, so no plans to change out the struts and/or springs.

Oh BTW, we are having an informal Lexus gathering on Sunday, Oct. 3rd at a park near the Hudson River in Fort Lee, NJ, and we are inviting members from this forum and ClubLexus. The weather has been superb lately, and hope to continue to do so onto the meet date. If you are interested in checking out the meet, please let me know! :)