Crack In Radiator

skeemer

I noticed some smoke/steam coming from under my hood today, and when I checked, there was coolant beading up on the top of the radiator. There is a hairline crack, about 3 inches long, along the top pipe of the radiator. My car is at my mechanic now to be looked at in the morning, but I was wondering if this is something that could just be patched instead of replaced? I really don't have the money to replace it if it doesn't need it, and I know radiators are expensive. For a hairline crack is there anyway they could glue it or seal it shut? I only plan on having the car for another year and then will be trading it in to a dealer when I purchase a new car next september, so I'm really only worried about the car lasting me another year and 12k miles. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

As a veteran of patching radiators back when I was poor, I tried several things. I tried soldering it, nope, couldn't make it stick. I tried expoxy, worked okay for a while, but eventually started leaking. The best thing I found to use is JB Weld. That stuff bonds to about everything and is nice and think. JB Weld hardens like steel. It will probably stop your leak but be aware, the radiator really needs to be replaced as if one spot is bad, others usually fail shortly thereafter. In my case, the whole side of the radiator split open. Nauturally I was on an Interstate 250 miles from home.

For local use for a year, I'd patch it. If you travel in this car, don't.