Es300 Regular Maintanence

rmalghan

I used to be an owner of Toyota Camry for 5 years and I always went to jiffy lube for the 3000 mile oil change. I have purchased the ES300 last year. I took it to the jiffy lube and they changed the oil. But they mentioned I have to take it to the dealer to check the air filter. The dealer charges $60 for this 3000 mile maintanence service (oil change and other services).

Just wanted to run these questions by other users:

1. what do other lexus users do? Do you always take it to the dealer

2. Is it recommended to take it to the dealer only?

Thanks

Ravi

You don't have to take it to the dealer, I'm actually surprised that the Jiffy Lube said they couldn't check the air filter, its very easy and I've had Quick Lube places do it before.

I service mine at the dealer USUALLY because I need the loaner car. As a matter of fact I'm dropping it off today at 3...

Ravi,

I never take my ES to the dealer unles I absolutely need a loaner (which is extremely rare). Their prices are overly inflated for what they do and they always seem to find something else thet "needs repair" while the car is there. I also do not like the Quick Lube places as I have had and heard too many horror stories about people geting ripped off or someone forgetting to put the oil pan plug back in correctly.

Find yourself a good independent mechanic and he can take care of just about everything you need done: Oil change, filters, tune-up, suspension, tires, etc. The only thing I would go back to the dealer for would be some sort of complex electrical problem.

As to the Jiffy Lube sending you to the dealership for the filter, I am amazed. Usually they will just rub your filter on the floor to get it dirty and then tell you you need to replace it. (Then they charge dealership prices for a cheap paper filter and send you on your way. Thank you - come again.)

I don't know where you are in VA, but I'm in Va Beach and can recommend someone if you are close by.

If your ES is an 02, 03 or 04, then the air box is a little harder to get into.

Besides the two bolts, the small bracket holding a valve on the back side or the cover has to be removed so that the top cover can move up freely. They probably did the two bolts and could move the cover enough to get at the filter and called it quits. In addition, they may not have had the filter element in stock. I'm not surprised as the Denso filter has a different construction than most aftermarket Penzoil/Fram/STP filters.

I do all my own routine service, but I also have a garage packed with most tools needed to do the minor repairs from oil changes to brake replacement to pulling a motor out.

Most of the routine items are fluid replacements which are a piece of cake once you have done it one time. There are plenty of threads here that give step by step instuctions for the easy stuff.

The hardest part is the proper disposal of the old fluids.

Word to the wise though, if you choose to go somewhere else than the dealer, keep all your paperwork. Non-dealer service centers will not be able to log into the nationwide Lexus computer system so you will be responsible for keeping track of all service that is performed.

The service center (Toyota, independents, JiffyLube, etc......even some Lexus services centers) you choose is up to you. Some are very good and some are not that careful.

steviej

I take my 01 ES to my independent mechanic (it's still under factory warranty & also a Lexus extended warranty). I keep ALL detailed service records should I ever have a problem to prove no neglect was involved. As long as there is proof of service (I only bring the car to the dealer for warranty work or if something MAJOR happens that needs to be taken there) with bills & records, you will be fine. B)

:cheers:

• 2 months later...