Drag Racing The Sc400

sc_toy

Not sure if any of you knew, but just for the hell of it I took my SC to the drags a couple weeks back and ran a couple 15.4s.... well this was good for me since my MR2SC only ran 15.6, but still I think this car can do better. So I've taken several things out of the car and weighed them. I also weighed the car before I went to the track last time and it weighed 3650 lb, I'll weight it again tomorrow before I go to verify the calcs I'm doing tonight..... that said here are the weights of what I took out... (weighed on the trusty bathroom scale! LOL)

Spare tire - 50 pounds (taken out already last time I went)

Rear seat back - 15 pounds

rear seat bottom - 14 pounds

all floor mats - 13 pounds (I had double mats in the front for some reason)

passenger seat - 58 pounds

my sub box w/ amps - 90 pounds!!!

2 laptops - 15 pounds

So since the last time I was at the strip I've taken out ~205 pounds. My calculations say I *should* be able to run a 15.1 or so, but I'm going to let the car cool as much as possible and see if I can't get lucky and break into the 14 range. I won't be disapointed if I only run 15.1 but still.... lol

There's still more weight reduction I'd like to do, remove the A/C system, get a lightweight battery, etc.

Will post results tomorrow!

Aaron

Hey, yeah that's what my numbers came up with also. Last time I ran I didn't get to the track until about 7:30 and it was a warm night, I pretty much ran the car right away. This time I want to get there earlier and let the car cool for a good hour or two beofre I run, my car is always so much faster in the morning.

Not running slicks, just kumho ecsta supras, very slightly shorter than stock (235/45R17). Last time out I ran a 15.420 and a 15.428, and a couple 15.6s and one fluke 16.3! LOL Those times were with a brand new factory air filter.

Not that it matters much but I run synthetic 5W-50 oil...

Thanks for the input!

Aaron

Okay new times...

several 15.3s and a couple higher than that

Both the good runs were at 92-93 MPH, last time I was only doing 90.xx on my best run (the 15.420).... so again all I did was removed 200 pounds, bumped my front tire pressure up to 35 psi, and removed the snorkel from the intake box.

I'm so close to a 14.99 that I want to see if I can do it without spending any money on the car. There's a litte more weight I can save, plus port matching, so I'm gonna try. anyone know what the entire exhaust from behind the cats, to the tips, weighs??? I'm going to get a lightweight battery too...

Also gonna change my oil, it's getting old.

Thats a good time..i was able to get a 14.997 at 93 but w/ the following mods: truel dual 2.25 w/ xpipe, bfi, took out spare and installed supra seats. I haven't had a chance to run w/ the nitrous yet. What was your sixty foot..my best is 2.1

Thats a good time..i was able to get a 14.997 at 93 but w/ the following mods: truel dual 2.25 w/ xpipe, bfi, took out spare and installed supra seats. I haven't had a chance to run w/ the nitrous yet. What was your sixty foot..my best is 2.1

Nice time! The slips are at home and I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure my best 60 foot was just a touch over 2 seconds. I'll scan them all when I get home and I'm going to make a little page with the progress and what changes I've done to get each time, etc.

Once I find the material I'm going to finish the BFI (don't like the acryilic I bought). And I may bring a buddy to watch my stuff so I can bring my jack, stands, etc and I'll just take my exhaust off after the cats.

Any idea how much those supra seats weighed? The passenger seat from my car was 58 pounds (bathroom scale), and I imagine the drivers is likely closer to 70. The seats in my old MR2 were nice, leather and all, but they were mechanical and only weighted about 20 pounds each.

Did you do any runs without the exhaust? I'm curious to see how much the exhaust weighs, and how much faster I can run with it off. I might have to go back next wednesday! :D

no didn't get a chance to run w/o the exhaust. Trust me makes a big difference going to true duals because that midsection is a big restriction. The mufflers are not that much heavier that my aftermarket ones maybe 5-7 lbs each. The seats together 85 lbs versus the stockers that weigh like ~125 so there is some savings. Plus they have more support and are sportier looking. Try talking off the headlight also and you should be pretty close to 15.0 flat.

http://home.ica.net/poutanen/temp/timeslips.xls

I've put my better runs into an Excel spreadsheet to disect the difference

between runs. Interesting to note the best run on each day had the same 60 foot

time, while at the 1/8th mile I was .1 seconds faster, and at the 1/4 I was .2

faster. Due to the weight of course.

So any acceleration I lost with the weight on the first day must have been made

up for with traction from the subs sitting over the rear axel. My average MPH was up by about 3 mph also, not sure if that was because of the intake snorkel or the weight difference.

I really like the stock mufflers, so I'm thinking a true dual 2.25" mid-pipe (with H or X pipe) to replace the 3rd cat and resonators will be a nice mod. I've got a buddy that works with stainless steel all the time so for a case of beer I can get that pipe section made up (gotta get him to make flanges so I can swap over to the stock mid-pipe for emissions testing).

I might cut two small holes into the inner wheel well that I can plug with rubber grommets. It's such a PITA to have to take of the wheel to get at those bolts on the right side of the light.

Are those supra seats electric? If so do they plug into the SC harness? If not that's fine, I never adjust my seat anyway. I loved the mechanical seats in my MR2SC.

Anyway, I might go back this wednesday and I'll report back then...

Damn..if you pulled a 2.0 on that 15.2 run you would've easily hit high 14's. Very good. How was the temperature that day..i made my 14.9 on a 100 degree track temp. I also only removed the center section and i just did my emissions last week and passed w/ flying colors. The supra seats are powered on the drivers side and manual on the passengers. They are a DIRECT bolt in. The plugs are different ..there is like 8 wires from the sc harness and 2 for the supra. Just use a multimeter and find the pos/neg and splice them and your done.

Damn..if you pulled a 2.0 on that 15.2.... -snip-

Yeah all my 60 foots were over 2.2xx, no matter what I did I couldn't get them under. I did some runs with a burnout, some with just a tire scrubbing, and some just driving up to the box and running. A short burnout seems to clean the tires enough to help...

What tires were you running? I'd like to get rid of these kumhos and get something grippy on the back. With 200 less pounds my 60 foot should have been better but this time I was spinning for probably the first 10 feet.

I'd like to raise the stall speed on the convertor, and get a shift kit and tranny cooler. Methinks that'd get me below 14.999 with no other mods. Oh yeah temps were about 20 deg C (about 70 f). I tried icing the intake manifold but it ended up throwing a sensor off because I ran over 16 seconds...

Anyway thanks for the help, I'm going to keep my eyes open for a set of supra seats (in tan leather if they came that way)....

Cheers,

Might look around for a pair of stock 16" SC or LS rims in the scrapyards. I should be able to buy some used race rubber around here for cheap too. It'll look funny having a car that can only run 14's on slicks but that's fine..... the future wants to see my car with a lysholm blower. :D

Also, I was anti N20 for a long time, but seeing how costly it will be to get forced induction for this thing (no real room for turbos, maybe a big T88 in front of the engine but that's about it).... and how cheap a good nitrous oxide kit is, I may go for a 75 or 100 shot of n2o.

How do you like your setup? Any idea how many runs you can get from a 10 pound bottle @ 75 hp???

In the long run it'll probably be cheaper and more useful for me to get a blower, and I miss the feeling of my old MR2 Supercharged that instant torque kicking you in the back.

Anyway, cheers.....

Hood only does 60lbs or so, depending on the material used. Also, for more precise weight distribution, you should put the battery behind the front seats. But if youre doing drag i guess it would be better over the back tires. That and you dont want a hydrogen bomb inside your car

It'll look funny having a car that can only run 14's on slicks

how so?

Just that most of the guys at my strip that run slicks are down in the sub 13 second range. But who cares I guess, I'm not there to impress anyone!

I'm not going to go as far as a CF hood, there's only so much that weight reduction will get me. If I were to drop a full 1000 pounds of the car I'd barely be running 14.0 flat and there's no way I'd drop that much weight and keep it a daily driver, I doubt you could drop that much weight as a dedicated race car.

All I'm doing right now is having a little fun, seeing if I can hit 14's for $0 (or near $0).

450 crank HP would get me mid 12's with the weight being stock, so that's the power I gotta shoot for. Still in the design phase, and $$$ saving phase but I've got a good idea of what I need to get that kinda HP out of the 1UZ...

Aaron