2005 Es Steering Wheel

lexus_driver

Hey all,

I own a 2002 ES300, and Lexus has just sent me a 2005 ES brochure. I was both dismayed (Why didn't Lexus do this earlier?) and excited at the fact that Lexus has finally gave the ES steering wheel audio controls. I have always been a fan of the steering wheel audio controls. Thus I would like to know if it is possible to swap the 2002 steering wheel with the 2005 steering wheel? Thanks in advance!

It is definately possible, the airbag would also have to be replaced. The wood on the wheel would have to be refinished to match yours as they changed the wood color on the grey and tan interiors, and the tan is a slightly different shade now. The wood on the black interior is the same.

The problem is the cost. For right now at least you'd have to buy that wheel new (I've seen the 05 in person and the wheel is very nice) as there won't be any used ones around. I don't have a price on that wheel, but the wheel from the 02-04 is nearly $3,000 from Lexus WITHOUT the airbag! The airbag would be at least another grand. Then you would either need to find a wiring harness for the radio controls or fab one up. The harness would probably be another $500 or so. Your radio should be able to accept steering wheel radio controls as its used on other Toyota vehicles that have this feature.

So, its possible but for right now not at all cost efficient.

I may be mistaken, but doesn't Lexus use the same steering whell in its other cars? I know for sure I've seen it in at least the current generation RX. Perhaps there's a used one available from an '04 RX. (I know, it's not very likely, but it should be easier to find than a used one from an '05 ES)

No, this wheel is an all new design and is different from the wheel used on the RX (and Camry Solara). You COULD use a wheel from an RX I'm sure but the wood wouldn't match, a swap with an all leather wheel should work fine. You'd have to buy the Lexus airbag though.