How To Bleed Power Steering?

Hi Folks,

I'm going to change out the power steering pump this weekend. The manual says after installing to "bleed system."

How do I do that? And how much PS fluid will I need? Can I use any ps fluid?

I'll read through the manual, but yous guys always have a bit more to add and I'd like to hear it.

Thanks! :D

Fred

Front wheels in straight ahead position. Check the fluid level. this level should be at the Cold mark on the dipstick. Let the engine run at fast idle. Turn the steering wheel from side to side without hitting the stops. Keep the reservoir full of fluid as this is done. Recheck the fluid level and make sure it is up to the Hot mark on the dipstick. Use the power steering fluid that's recommended by Lexus.......it's different then the stuff you buy at the auto supply store.

Fred, the big key to it all is to make sure you don't run out of fluid as you turn the steering wheel left to right. You wouldn't want to bind anything after you spent all that time changing out the part. Make sure you inspect the hoses really well and replace them if you have to question yourself if they are still good.

Mike, it very well may be, but atf is red and the ps fluid in our es300 looks more like clean oil. To be safe, I bought ps fluid from the Lexus dealer today, along with some antifreeze and silicon spray for the door/moonroof rubber.

Hey, they did NOT have the timing belt cover gaskets in stock -- "special order."

:lol: hahahahahaha! :lol:

Well forget it, I'll catch them next time.

Cheers,

Fred