Buying Mercedes, But May Keep Lexus Too....

90LS400Lexus

The transmissions did fail without warning. On our '99, my dad got in it one day, and throughout first gear was this horrible metal on metal grinding sound. We had it towed and rebuilt. The my mom's cousin's Suburban tranny craped out on them on a vacation road trip. It also died without warning. What a lovely vacation they had! :lol: I will give Chevy that...they certainly know how to screw the dollar store parts together in a way that they won't rattle. lol

:cheers:

That is terrible that they failed without warnings.

Anyway- I took a closer look at the local 96 LT and at first- was very impressed with the "like new" condition of this SUV- especially the interior. However.... while I was looking at the left rear side, I noticed some paint imperfections on the lower part of the tailgate- further investivation is that there was an "unsmoothness" around the lower left quarter panel. I "knocked" on it and it had a "thud", as if it is body filler, which I am 99% sure it is. This alone discouraged me from the purchase. I am hesitant about paying $7000 for an automobile that has been in an accident- even if it was minor- which it probably was.....

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To update- I have definetely decided to sell the LS and perhaps buy a newer LS (or at least one with less miles), or maybe even the Suburban I was mentioning- if I can get them to come down to a better price. You know me- undecided- I have not even ruled out a more practical choice- a Camry or Accord- have owned both and they are super cars.

Even though my engine and transmission are in perfect working order in my LS, and the body is very good and interior is excellent, I think that considering the mileage, it may be better for me to sell it now, instead of shelling out big bucks for repairs down the road.

I still have not really ruled out a Mercedes, but if I get a Mercedes, I am not going to get a old or higher mileage model, like I was talking about before. I have found a local 1991 300SE that I am considering, that is in excellent condition and only 98K miles, with ALL service records. I think if I get a lower mile model, it will be OK and from the latest parts/labor prices I have found out on the LS, I do not think it could be much worse. I went ahead and checked reliability and owner reports on this car and from what I have read, it is a very reliable model. Engines seem to be bulletproof from what I have read. My uncle has a 90 300 wagon with the same engine and he said his has been bulletproof, aside from a blower motor replacement, which was $700. If I can find a lower mile 93-94 LS400 at the price of this Mercedes- I may consider that, because I like the 93-94s.

There are actually two people that are interested in my Lexus. One is supposed to come look at it tomorrow evening.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice/suggestions. :)

Also thanks for talking me out of the 81 Mercedes - I later found out from the owners posts on that site (did a search), that it had steering/suspension problems. :unsure:

If you want a fun car to drive to work, check out one of the Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V cars. Very quick good handling cars. Cheap.

It is always hard trying to decide what to buy. I guess I've owned quite a few cars. Some have been great, others problems. My 70 Electra was perfect (until the accident anyway) while my 71 Electra was junk. Oh sure it ran to over 300,000 but with constant problems and repairs. For driving to work I'd buy a Corolla. Cheap and good.

I love our Corolla, espcially at the gas station.

If you want a fun car to drive to work, check out one of the Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V cars.  Very quick good handling cars.  Cheap.   

It is always hard trying to decide what to buy.  I guess I've owned quite a few cars.  Some have been great, others problems.  My 70 Electra was perfect (until the accident anyway) while my 71 Electra was junk.  Oh sure it ran to over 300,000 but with constant problems and repairs.  For driving to work I'd buy a Corolla.  Cheap and good.

I love our Corolla, espcially at the gas station.

VB- you had a 70 Electra and a 71 Electra? Were they 2 or 4 doors?

I love those old big General Motors cars- especially the 1971 up to 1973- I think the 74-76 had bumpers that are too big. You may have read me mentioning that I had a 1972 Electra a couple of years ago (see photo). Had want ad for one on the internet. A man only about 10 miles away phoned and said he had his deceased fathers old 72 Electra in the barn, with 90K actual miles. His father was a doctor and he bought it new back in August of 1972 for $5960. It was originally a $7200 automobile, but it was toward the end of 1972 model year (around September) and the 1973s were arriving and he got the "end of year sale" price. Anyway- I went to see it and it was covered with dust and the chickens had been all over it (need I say more)? :lol: He said it had not been started in months- but he got in, pumped the Quadra-jet 4barrel carburator and she started right up. The car was 100% rust free and the interior was like new. I only paid $1500 for it. I put about 20K on it, with NO problems. It was starting to deteriorate (paint) and surface rust was developing, because I had no indoor space for it and the paint was already thin, so I sold it for $1800 to a man in South Carolina that was going to paint it and have a new vinyl top installed for his son. I seen photos of it on a Buick site and it looks new. They have really babied that car. I regret selling it now and I have actually been looking for another 71-73 Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick or Cadillac full-size car, to restore as a "weekend cruise-in" car. I have learned that these late 1960s and early 70s cars were oddly optioned. Back then, you basically got what options you wanted. Mine had A/C (still COLD and never serviced - ORIGINAL freon) power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, am-fm-8-track :P , cornering lamps, bumper gaurds, rare gear shift "finger touch" wiper control. I seen another 72' at a local cruise-in- equipped differently. His had auto climate control A/C, rear window defrost, and power trunk, but his did not have the gear shift wiper control, or bumper gaurds. I have even seen some without power windows and A/C ( a couple of 71s). The 455 V8 would pass everything but the gas station. :P Ride- well it was like you were on a cloud.

Sorry - did not mean to ramble about the old cars, but they have always been "groovy" cars to me. :) .

Suprising your 71 had the problems, but 300K is a lot of miles for these old cars.

**I agree with you about the Corolla, but I am wanting something a little bigger, so I am definitely considering a Camry or Accord. I have about ruled out the Suburban or Tahoe, because 13 MPG city is not really appealing to me. I have not ruled out the Mercedes, but I am going to put Toyota 4-Runner back on my list. I was in the market for one a while back and I really like them, but I stopped searching for one, because they seem to be way overpriced, but they seem to be a little more reasonable now, so I will reconsider. I also like the Toyota Tacoma 4WD trucks. I also agree with you about the Sentra- they are great cars, but a little too small for me, but the 2000+ is a decent sized car.

Thanks again.

Here is another photo of my old 1972 Electra-

this was about 3 years ago, before we had the new driveway put down.

post-4-1094791703.jpg

The 71 Electras and the 72s were virtually identical. Only minor differences in the grille and taillamps.

Here is a photo of the top of the rear seat in my old 1972. Rest of the car was as in good of shape. I think the "designs" in the upholstery on the early 1970s cars was neat. Often they had "patterns". GM, Ford and Chrysler all did this.

post-4-1094792046.jpg

Well, the first "potential" buyer came to look at the Lexus this evening. First impressions of the car seemed good, but they commented on the slight noise that the engine was making. It has the common, but slight lifter tapping sound and the fuel injection tapping noise, but the car was idling super smooth. I told him this was not bad, especially on a 233K mile car. It was dark when the man looked at it and he noticed that the LCD was darkened in a couple of spots and commented. Was also unaware that the A/C is broken.

Also- despite the many records I have, there is a large gap in the oil change records from about 99K to about 170K, which concerned him. I think if the same owner was going to well maintain a car up to 100K, I doubt he would stop at 100K to 170K. The printout from Lexus shows maintainence there from 100K to 200K, but no details on what was completed. Also, I think that if the oil was not changed regularly, that there would be no way it would still not be leaking or burning not ONE drop of oil between changes. Everytime I near the 3K mark, I will check the oil before I take it to get it changed and it is always at the same spot it was at the beginning of the oil change- which suggests to me that the oil has been changed regularly. I was about to say- well this is a 1990 Lexus- not a 2005, no its not perfect, but what do you expect for $3400? If you want a perfect Lexus, go to the dealer tomorrow and buy a 05'. :rolleyes:

At any rate- I may go look at the Suburban tomorrow, but I think I am now more interested in the 90 Mercedes 300SE with 114K. I think I will look at it first to make an assessment of that car. My uncle has a 1990 Mercedes 300 wagon, with the same inline 6-cylinder and he said they are bulletproof engines. His has 161K and he has had NO problems at all with this car. Also fairly easy to work on- there is a lot of extra room in the engine compartment- which is a plus I suppose.

:unsure:

VBDENNY- did you see my last reply to your post about the Electra?

To update- I went and looked at the 300SE today. Initially, it made a good impression. No dents, no scratches, like new interior, but it needs a basic cleaning. I was immedietly leary of the car when the owner decided to tell me that the car was diagnosed with a stuck ring on the #5 cylinder. It was losing oil, but no leaks or smoking from the exhaust. He said the shop recommended Marvel Mystery oil be added, unless he wanted to install new rings. He said he done so (added the oils, as well as something called "seafoam") and there has been no oil use since, but I was still skeptical. <_< Basically, the car has been "doctored" up to sell. <_< Also too, he said it had a moderate exhaust leak, that needed repair, but after I heard about the engine, I was really not interested, because I also caught a few little fibs during the discussion about the car.

He did come down to $4000- which is what I paid for my 90 LS400 last year, when it had 224K and this Mercedes has 114K.

Back to the drawing boards I suppose.

I have also found a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser, with good miles that I am considering now. Dismal fuel mileage however. :rolleyes:

Also, something a little different (not to replace the Lexus, but rather a "toy"), a 1973 Ford LTD Country Squire 10-passenger stationwagon (classic 70s green with woodgrain- dark green interior), with 54K actual miles, 1-owner, in EC. Now this a something easy to work on, but what a gas hog. :)

Here is a photo of the car - the wheelcovers are blacked out here, because I edited the photo to see what it would look like with the awful aftermarket wheels that have been installed on it in this photo. It has the original wheels and hubcaps though.....

My father said it is one of the ugliest cars he has ever seen, but he dislikes the old "tank cars" of the 70s.... but I do not care... I will be driving it - right? ;)

post-4-1095223531.jpg

never, never a mercedes for me again, not over my dead body!

in late 90's, I used to own a 88 420sel, spend over $8K in repair over 3-years period, still could't get it to run right, and it spent more time in the shop than on the road during my ownership.

just sold my 93 400sel about couple month sago, couldn't be happier to get rid of that 'junk' which was more or less the same stories with the 88 model.

what a relieve that I am finally mercedes-free!

Thanks. I decided to pass on this car. Sorry your Mercedes were bad. My uncle loves his 1990 300E wagon, with 160K- no problems and still like new.

I may take VB's advice (or whoever it was) and consider a 1998+ Corolla. I have found two local 1999 Toyota Corollas that I really like. One is the entry-level silver 1999 Corolla VE, with 81K miles and ALL service records- in new condition for $4100. The same lot also has another gold 1999 Corolla CE (mid-level model, adding power windows, power locks, etc) also with 81K miles and ALL service records- also in new condition for $3990 (what I paid for my 90 LS, with 224K). I would really like something larger, like a Camry or Accord, but these seem like good deals. Also- a 1999 Honda Civic LX sedan, with only 60K for $6900. I really like the red 1998 Accord EX coupe (sunroof and leather) that the lot I bought my LS from has, but it is $7995, which I think is steep, considering the car has 90K- maybe not.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

To update- Lexus still remains. I have reduced to a lousy $2995- and cannot even get a call on this car. One man called and when he learned it had 234K- "ooo, too many miles he says". :rolleyes: I came close to calling back and telling him to go to Lexus of Kingsport and pay $60K for a new LS, if he wanted a Lexus with low miles, but do not expect one for $2995. <_<

I decided to pass on the Corollas- too small. I have decided on a 4-Runner, Suburban, or perhaps a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra pickup. I looked at a 97 Camry LE with 146K, in EC, but I have heard complaints about a "sludge" problem on SOME the 97-00 4-cylinder Camrys (IF the oil is not changed every 3K), as well as some of the V6 Camrys. Seems it was a flaw that Toyota is aware of, so I may pass on that car. A real shame too, because it has a super nice ride quality- almost like a Cadillac- nothing like the harsh ride my LS has. :rolleyes: My aunts husband is a new car salesman for the Toyota dealership in Johnson City and they have two low mile 99 Camrys (59K), so I may check these cars out. Since I cannot sell my LS- I may just give it away by trading it in. :(

Its funny, but I realized today that many people (family included) warned me about Mercedes cars and their troublesome electrical systems- which I was aware of. Ironically, my 90 LS is plagued with electrical glitches. Radio not working unless it is hot, LCD black unless it is hot, some of the heater/AC night illumination lights are out, speedometer needle is 3/4 way out, interior light will often not come on unless I "wiggle" the switch at the door, RF power window switch has to be pressed hard at that door to get it work. :unsure: All seem to be common problems with these cars. Seems to me like they are right there with Mercedes- at least mine is. <_< At least my windows, locks and everything else is OK. I even hear of more electrical problems with these cars- which my car luckily does not yet have- such as that common problem with the wiring harness in the trunk. I am suprised I do not have that problem.

Edited by 90LS400Lexus

Ironically, my 90 LS is plagued with electrical glitches.  Radio not working unless it is hot, LCD black unless it is hot, some of the heater/AC night illumination lights are out, speedometer needle is 3/4 way out, interior light will often not come on unless I "wiggle" the switch at the door, RF power window switch has to be pressed hard at that door to get it work.   :unsure:  All seem to be common problems with these cars.  Seems to me like they are right there with Mercedes- at least mine is.   <_< 

Again though, your car has 250,000 miles! The issues people talk about on Mercedes cars happen 60k or younger. You also can't blame people for not wanting to buy a car with 250k miles. Its very old.

I looked at a 97 Camry LE with 146K, in EC, but I have heard complaints about a "sludge" problem on SOME the 97-00 4-cylinder Camrys (IF the oil is not changed every 3K), as well as some of the V6 Camrys.  Seems it was a flaw that Toyota is aware of, so I may pass on that car. 

I've never heard of sludge reports in the 4cyl engines just the 1MZFE (mainly 97-01 Lexus Toyota cars ). I don't think Toyota is at all at fault for sludge; I'm sorry, but if you are too brain dead to change your oil every 3-5k miles you deserve your engine oil to turn to jelly. However, I'm sure there are some extremely rare cases where it wasn't the owners fault, but I've heard of owners not changing their oil for 10-20k miles. :o Come on!! I think Toyota is bending over backwards by replacing engines.

Have you ever thought about leasing? It's just what I observe from your sig, but it seems like you switch cars every 6months-year. With a lease, you'll pay every month, but you won't get slammed with the depreciation(like you are experienceing with your LS) when you are ready for something newer, and you have a factory warranty. Just a thought...

:cheers:

Hey, 90'

Sorry to hear about the sale of the Lexus.

We have an 1992 Acura Legend LS (as you can see in the sig). "I" want to sell it. People have came and have seen & test drove the car, one didn't even bother to test drive it (guess he didn't like it). But, the thing is NO ONE makes an offer. I'm selling it for less than $5,400 (see, I'm sellling it not my family, I just posted it in the paper for $30 bucks just for the heck of it) and hoping someone will buy it so I can buy another Lexus.

My parents don't want to sell it because they probably will have to pay some more $$$ for the next car then what we are going to get out of this Acura.

But still....that is not important....

So, my point. Today, not many people are interested in buying a 14 years old car with such high miles. Not even a 12 year old car with a little less than half of your miles (122k miles).

I'm not taking sides, but Steve said this in another post.

applying it to your LS: People do realize that they are not buying a $2995 car, but rather buying a $30k car (or whatever it was back in 1990) and buying all of its problems and maintance costs that come with it at the price of $30k.

The reason why I replied is because I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat as you. So, don't think that it is because you have a bad car.

Also, my parents do realize this and rather than being in a lose we are just going to keep the car until god forbid something happens to it.

So, think about just keeping the car instead.

applying it to your LS: People do realize that they are not buying a $2995 car, but rather buying a $30k car (or whatever it was back in 1990) and buying all of its problems and maintance costs that come with it at the price of $30k.

They were around $40k or so in 1990 I believe. I remember my dad wanted one but couldn't afford it and wound up getting a Lincoln instead that was closer to 30k.

Just checking- do I have somewhere posted where my car has 250K miles, or are you rounding off the 234K miles? Not sure about that one. I wanted to be sure I do not have it advertised anywhere on there with that mileage...... :unsure:

I have never heard of any complaints of electrical problems on 60K mile Mercedes, but I may have missed them. I know a lot of people with 81-89 Mercedes with 200K+ miles, many with less or equal amount electrical problems than I read here on Lexus with less than 200K and they are even older. That is what I was trying to say. :)

Also- people seem to "jump" on these cars elsewhere- despite the mileage/age. There is still a large market for older cars- despite their age. I know it is a OLD car, with 234K, but I do not think I am asking too much for this car and was trying to say that no one should expect a NEW/low mile LS for $2995. I actually like the older styles better and they seem to be better built, as far as the body goes. Perhaps someday I will be lucky enough to afford a brand new one, but I would probably still buy a LOW mileage older Lexus. About my car- its not like I am asking $10000 for it. I know its old, hence the $2995 price. Early 90s Accords and Camrys are priced at this price around here. Perhaps it is the fuel prices? Most people are buying smaller cars. I never thought of that before. :unsure:

Thanks

Again though, your car has 250,000 miles! The issues people talk about on Mercedes cars happen 60k or younger. You also can't blame people for not wanting to buy a car with 250k miles. Its very old.

Thanks 93LSOwner. That is what my father said I should do. I will probably just run it into the ground, then take it to the crusher, trade it in (give it away rather), or may even donate it to charity.

If I do keep it and run it into the ground- I will have to live with the suspension clunks, no radio (unless the interior is hot), no A/C, blackened LCD (unless the interior is hot), 1/2 blacked out speedometer needle (ALL very recent problems), because I am not spending another dime on this car!

I have no doubts that the engine/transmission would go another 200K miles, but the "minor annoyance" problems is what makes me want to sell it. I have over $4500 invested (but have put 10K miles on it) and now I regret buying this car more than any car I have ever bought in the past. I now know I paid WAY too much for it. I just wanted a LS so bad, I payed no attention to the high mileage. <_< KBB still shows the value at $3800- despite the miles- so much for that huh? Cannot go by KBB. My dad warned me, but I would not listen. Why did I sell my 93 Camry? :rolleyes: Oh well, we learn from our mstakes- mine was a $4500 one, but its only money right? I will NEVER buy a high mileage car again- no matter the price.

Some say I may have it priced to cheap. If I raised it to $4000- maybe I will get more calls- perhaps they think there are major problems? My uncle had a old BMW priced it too cheap and no calls. He raised the price $1000 and sold it the next day. He lowered it $400, but still made $600 more than he wanted. I do not think it is so much my Lexus, because there are other LOW MILE Lexus LS400s in the same newspaper, next to mine that has been in there for weeks. Another thing I should consider is fuel prices- most people assume this car is a gas guzzler and they are buying small cars now.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hey, 90'

Sorry to hear about the sale of the Lexus.

We have an 1992 Acura Legend LS (as you can see in the sig). "I" want to sell it. People have came and have seen & test drove the car, one didn't even bother to test drive it (guess he didn't like it). But, the thing is NO ONE makes an offer. I'm selling it for less than $5,400 (see, I'm sellling it not my family, I just posted it in the paper for $30 bucks just for the heck of it) and hoping someone will buy it so I can buy another Lexus.

My parents don't want to sell it because they probably will have to pay some more $$$ for the next car then what we are going to get out of this Acura.

But still....that is not important....

So, my point. Today, not many people are interested in buying a 14 years old car with such high miles.  Not even a 12 year old car with a little less than half of your miles (122k miles).

The reason why I replied is because I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat as you. So, don't think that it is because you have a bad car.

Also, my parents do realize this and rather than being in a lose we are just going to keep the car until god forbid something happens to it.

So, think about just keeping the car instead.

My car was sold in January of 1990. Window sticker price was $37,900 after options. (Leather, moonroof, remote entry, deluxe floormats). Base price on the 1990s was $35,000. Price could go as high as $42,000 with all options such as air suspension, traction control, heated seats, CD player, etc. You are right the Lincoln was about $30K. Now they give the Lincolns away. Very low resell value. Even worse than the Lexus.

They were around $40k or so in 1990 I believe. I remember my dad wanted one but couldn't afford it and wound up getting a Lincoln instead that was closer to 30k.

0 (ZERO) :D . Seriously- at least less than 100K. I am looking at a couple of Toyota cars ranging from 11K up to 59K. May even buy brand new- who knows. May be my best bet. Thanks again.

So, about how many miles are you considering now, for your future car?

Since Zero miles...........

You know as far as the outside styling goes for this class of cars. We never bought a Nissan, but...I would pick the new Altima over the new Camry and Accord. But, I don't know about the ride, interior quality, realiblity, etc.......just a thought. <_<

My aunt bought a brand new 2001 Nissan Altima SE back in June of 2001. It is a good car, but the quality is nowhere near the Nissans of the 80s thru mid 90s. It only has 29K miles and she just lets it set in the driveway. She has a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan- which is easier for her to take the kids to all of their ball games- she often gets elected to take other folks kids as well. <_<

The 80s Nissans are bulletproof. My dad has a 1988 Nissan 4WD truck that now has 260K miles and still runs like NEW- no rattles, no electrical problems. My uncle was the original owner and he did not maintain it very well. The timing belt never even got changed until my dad bought it from him in 1999, when it had 205K. :blink: Needless to say, the belt was extremely thin.

Anyway, I have considered the Altimas, because like the Accords and Camrys, they receive IIHS highest crash test rating in the off-set crash tests.

I am still very undecided. I may even purchase a smaller car- such as the 03-05 Corolla I mentioned- a lower mile 90s or early 2000s car/truck/SUV is still not out of the question. I am going to shop around a bit tomorrow. I am thinking of parking my LS and will start driving my Pontiac again- to keep the wear/tear down on the Lexus.

Thanks again.

Since Zero miles...........

You know as far as the outside styling goes for this class of cars. We never bought a Nissan, but...I would pick the new Altima over the new Camry and Accord. But, I don't know about the ride, interior quality, realiblity, etc.......just a thought. <_<

The timing belt never even got changed until my dad bought it from him in 1999, when it had 205K.

:o :o :o

How is it even physically possible for a timing belt not to break when it is TWO-HUNDERED-THOUSAND miles old?!?

Hard to believe, but that was the case on this truck. My uncle bought it brand new in March of 1988. When my dad bought it, he asked my uncle when he last changed the timing belt and his answer was "I have never changed the belt". My dad changed it that same week. It was indeed the original. The belt was so worn that it was paper thin. Nissan must make good timing belts. I am suprised that one did not snap a long time ago.

:o  :o  :o

How is it even physically possible for a timing belt not to break when it is  TWO-HUNDERED-THOUSAND miles old?!?