Exhaust Problems

rdlloyd

exhaust problems..

Everytime i start my car in the morning, grey smoke bursts from the rear..this only last for a few seconds, but it comes out as if the car is warming up" in the winter time or something..its 85 degrees out, and i dont think it should be doing that....what is the reason for this? i have about 135K miles on the car, and alot of mechanics keep saying "that is common for a car over 130,000 miles" . But im not buying that, what should i do? change the oil? fuel injection? any ideas?

My guess is that you are using a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. True?

Problem is most likely tired (old and hard) valve stem seals, especially those on the exhaust valves (as exhaust valves run consistenly hotter than intake valves).

With engine sitting overnight, oil is leaking past the seals and into the combustion chamber. Valve guides (bronze inserts that allow the vaves to slide back and forth) may also be a bit loose as well.

But replacing the valve guides will improve the situation significantly. This job can be done without doing R&R (removal and replacement) of the heads.

My guess is that you are using a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. True?

Problem is most likely tired (old and hard) valve stem seals, especially those on the exhaust valves (as exhaust valves run consistenly hotter than intake valves).

With engine sitting overnight, oil is leaking past the seals and into the combustion chamber. Valve guides (bronze inserts that allow the vaves to slide back and forth) may also be a bit loose as well.

But replacing the valve guides will improve the situation significantly. This job can be done without doing R&R (removal and replacement) of the heads.

^^^^hey thanks for the info...i took the car to get an oil change today..and asked one of the mechs about possibly replacing the vavle guides WITHOUT doing R &R if the heads,.,

The mech then claims that on this particular model of toyota(96es300) that the valves cannot come off without replacing the heads?

is this true OR is he just trying to get more money out of me?

Valve guides can not be replaced without removing the heads, but the valve guide seals can be. Again, my guess is that replacing the seals will do the trick.

My guess is that replacing the seals is a 6 to 8 hour job on an ES. Good luck. Write back as to how it goes.