Possible Future Ls Owner

Aholda

I just noticed I posted this on the UK forum :blink: heres my orginal post

Hello all, first of all, I'd like to say this is one of the most organized respectable, car forum website I have seen, the information is great.

Currently I am driving a 99 Toyota Corolla, it's one of my mom's cars, she drives a Camry so she let me drive the Rolla. Ever since I have been interested in cars, which was about 10 years ago, I am 18 now, I have wanted a Lexus, my dad being a Finance Manager at my Uncles Dealership in my hometown he has drove home a variety of different cars, including a few Lex's. Although my dad could possibly help me get any car from the dealership I want, I have decided to be semi-dependent and try to help buy my first car. I recently found a 1993 LS 400 with 130000 for 6 grand at a local dealership. 1. Is that a good deal if the car is mechanically sound? 2. What kind of matienence costs am I gonna be looking at anually? 3. Could I get my car serviced at my uncles dealership for less? 4. How would you rate a 1993 LS, are they known to cause problems or are they very realiable if taken care of properly?

I may have more questions soon, but if you all could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can soon own my own LS and become a part of this excellent owners community

The motor mounts fail. The strut support bushings fail. All of the rubber seems to have problems. There's been some dash and instrument light issues.

You want a mechanic inspection on every piece of rubber in that car. Service records also. If not..assume everything is bad and will have to be replaced. And adjust the price accordingly.

Example: 1995 Lexus I bought 150,000 miles.

Lower ball joints bad

Strut supports shot.

Other bushings o.k.

Front upper strut bumpers bad and causing clanking sounds. I replaced struts also.

Motor mounts broken

Trans mount broken.

Hood supports (shocks) were bad.

Tires balanced by Pep Boys (need I say more)

Broken vacuum line causing check engine light.

No lights in radio LCD or radio controls

CD changer broken.

Windshield badly pitted

Power steering hose leaking

Rack and pinion boot torn

I paid $4700 for the car and now have $6200 in the car. Paying no labor (all work done myself) and buying parts as cheap as I can.

I pity those who cannot do the work themselves for whatever reason. You can get upside down financially in one of these cars real quick. I figured a Lexus being the high line Toyota product that it is would be far superior to the Toyota's I have had in the past. My Toyota pickup has none of these problems the Lexus had.

But I knew this when I bought the Lexus. Thanks to this forum. I wanted to try one anyway. Be sure to have the mechanical end checked. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to repair it. My 4 cents (used to be 2 cents but I am doubling my prices...just like Lexus). :D

all those problems list by bob are typical, i mean you are driving a car that is 11 years old.......how many 11 year old cars are even still on the road without engine/tranny rubuilds and such.....let alone drive, and look like new like the LS...........

personally i have never had anthything big go wrong with my 92, i mean its 12 years old, i replaced a rear bushing and front caliper thats it

any time you are talking about a car that is that old of course you are gonna have some little things go out ie...rubber bushings, suspension pieces and such.....everything Bob listed are just normal maintence items that need to be taken care of on ANY car......

for the money in my opionion you can't by a better car than a gen 1 or gen 2 LS. ;)

read the pinned topic at the top of the LS page by wanda, and/or do a search in this forum, you will find every single answer to your questions

thanks alot, the info was great, I have read that the 93 was the best of the 1st generations :D also, I know this sounds like a dumb question but due to my lack of knowledge of mechanics what is rubber bushings etc....

:cheers: My humble response to your interest in buying an LS.

I am a new car broker and have been for 20 years. I have been responsible for arranging numerous Lexus products over the years. I drive a 1990 LS400 myself and overall, I believe Lexus is the best car built for the money!

Yes, we have to replace rubber and bushings, service AC, buy tires, replace timing belts etc BUT you will do that stuff on ANY car over the years.

I like one of the above recommendations that you check out every rubber part, find out when the last timing belt change was effected and, generally, you want a thorough mechanical check-out efore you buy this particular car. Of course the bottom line is how much you have to pay for the car. Determine the fair market value in your area then deduct the costs of reconditioning as per your inspection then make an offer.

Best of luck to you. Yes, I too enjoy this super forum!

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson

1990 LS400 with 86,000 original miles and would not trade for anything available today! :D

Aholda,

I think your 99 corolla is a superior vehicle in terms of maintenance cost, and that 95ls400bob is correct in his evaluation - you need to be able to work on these vechicles DIY or they will eat you alive. I mean, a $6k purchase for the LS is good, but you take it to a dealer and they'll find another $6k (minimum) in maintenace.

These are reliable, yet expensive cars - they are expensive to maintain unless DIY.

Powerful, quiet, smooth, and full of class is why we have them :lol:

I have a LS400 and a 99 Corolla. If you have a car for dependable transportation, either is great. If you are talking about economical transportation, the LS is not the car. Imagine paying 3 times as much each time you fill your tank and that is what the LS will cost you over the Corolla. If you are looking for a new hobby (like Lexus repairs), then the LS will make it a realiity. In my case. it is one of my favorite hobbies and I have very much enjoyed working on this car. Everything on the Lexus seems fairly logical and well engineered. You will learn quite a lot.

Not to say the rolla isn't easy to work on, it just that nothing has broken on the car so I haven't done much except oil changes.

also, since now I am having second thoughts on the LS, what about the ES, GS or even a SC, are they same with matienence, I really like the GS model, but they are hard to find around here for the same price, could someone shed some light and give me some good info about which of these would be best for a 18 year old 1st year college student

thanks alot! :D

The ES is much cheaper to maintain, especially older ones as more components are shared with the Camry. Even at the dealer the ES costs about 1/4 what the LS costs for everything (they have different fee schedules for 6cyl and 8cyl cars. The SC and GS are less represented on the road than the ES and are going to be more expensive to repair, closer to the LS.

If you've got your heart set on a Lexus I'd look for a nice low mile 95-96 model ES.

thanks SW03ES that really helps...yes my heart is set on a Lex, has been for a while....so a 95-96? can give me some info on the ES, such as the generations and the yearly changes, via a link or you can take your time and type it :P I also like the ES so that is good to hear it will be much cheaper matinenence wise thanks again :D

2. What kind of matienence costs am I gonna be looking at anually?

3. Could I get my car serviced at my uncles dealership for less?

Hello and welcome.

#2- yes, they are very expensive to maintain. Parts are very expensive, as is labor.

#3- may be a question you may have to ask your uncle, since he owns the dealership. Ask him if you can get your car worked on there @ a reduced rate.

Overall, sounds like a nice car. Good luck!