2002 Es300 Check Engine Light

mrsel3

Hi I am new. Just purchased a 2002 ES300. Love the car. It has 55000 miles mark levinson, navigation. Yesterday the check engine light came on. I checked the gas cap and it was tight. I am going to take it to my mechanic in a few days. I was wondering if there is a way to check the error code in the car.

I know that in Grand Cherokees there is a way to check the error code, it reads out on the odometer. Probably a way for the dealer to save money! I always did it on mine and saved time at the dealer.

I have a feeling it is the 02 sensor.

I put 93 octaine in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also are there any performance enhancments for this car, I am having trouble finding anything nice online.

Thank You

sorry mrcel3, no way to check unless you invest in a code reader.

as blake said, Autozone will read the code for free.

Code P1135 is Bank 1 Senor 1, the Lexus has a batch of O2 sensors that were used on the 2002 that had problems.

If the car is CPO, then is should be covered. If you bought from an non-Lexus dealer, see what their warranty is/was.

Either way, the O2 sensor (if that is the problem) can be had for less money online and is very easy to change if you have an O2 socket, also available at Autozne.

Another word to the wise, use only Toyota/Lexus OEM O2 sensors.

Psot whatever code Autozone give you, we can tell you what the interp is.

good luck,

steviej

Thanks for the reply, I will stop by my local autozone. I bought the car through a nonlexus dealership. However it came with an aftermarket warranty which I can use anywhere. o2 sensors are not covered by the warranty though. How much can it cost?

Also I noticed that the top to the air box is loose. I dried !Removed! it but it still pops open .Could this be causeing the check engine light?

Thank You

those sound like the charcol evaporation canister codes.

This should be covered under the emission warranty with I think is still in effect on the 2002. Check in your supplemental owners manual, it will list the items that are covered or check with your Lexus dealership.

steviej

actually old rx the maf can get dirty but i don;t recommend just doing anything with out knowing why first. As it can make it harder to pin point the problems unless you can conntinue the troubleshooting after one thing is finished as it can hlp and also make it harder to hear or feel a problem.

Also if a maf gets dirty it will read a higher temp meaning a higher resistance to tell the ecu which inturn thinks their is less air entering the engien causing it to run lean not rich