Question About Starting Car Up .

IlyaIlya

hey guys this might seem like a stupid question but I m going to ask it anyways ;)

when i first go to start up the car, i have to crank it quite a bit for it to start, sometimes out of getting use to old cars that i had, i let go too fast thinking it should start and car does not, so i crank it 2nd time and it starts fine, is this normal? should first start take like 2 seconds of cranking?

cause when car is warm (just driven or started before) it start very fast, (turn key and it just starts fast ) but when car been sitting all day/night , i turn key and hold for a second or so and then it starts

maybe i m paranoid, but i dont think it should do that, maybe the fuel is not getting to it in time so it takes an extra half second-second, but maybe its just normal.

just wondering what you guys think ?

thanx

hey guys this might seem like a stupid question but I m going to ask it anyways ;)

when i first go to start up the car, i have to crank it quite a bit for it to start, sometimes out of getting use to old cars that i had, i let go too fast thinking it should start and car does not, so i crank it 2nd time and it starts fine, is this normal? should first start take like 2 seconds of cranking?

cause when car is warm (just driven or started before) it start very fast, (turn key and it just starts fast ) but when car been sitting all day/night , i turn key and hold for a second or so and then it starts

maybe i m paranoid, but i dont think it should do that, maybe the fuel is not getting to it in time so it takes an extra half second-second, but maybe its just normal.

just wondering what you guys think ?

thanx

The first start shouldn't take very long. Back in the days of carbeurated engines, that was common, but with a modern fuel-injected engine, it should start right up. Maybe a second or two, but certainly not longer than that.

It's hard to say what the problem is. It could be anything from dirty fuel injectors to a dirty fuel filter to a dirty air filter (or quite a few other things).

My guess is that it's been a while since the car has been fully maintained. Personally, I'd take it to a dealer, but if you really want to do things yourself, I'd start by changing the fuel and air filters to see if that helps. If you have high mileage (> 60 K miles), I'd change the plugs, too.

If you haven't been the owner long, try to get the service records from the dealer or previous owner so you can see what's been done and what hasn't.

no way am i taking it to dealer ;) and i might end up changing fuel filter, air filter is fine, i think maybe its just building up pressure in fuel system, cause 2nd time it starts just fine and car is just as cold . doubt its plugs, but i ll change them eventually if my MPG sux , but it seems to be fine, maybe i m just not use to it, but first time start is a bit longer then when car was just shut off

doubt i can get any records, car came from auction i beleive, can i some how look up what recalls/stuff has been done to it by calling lexus and giving vin #? for free? it might tell something up to 60k miles or till when everything that was done came free, after that i bet person did it elsewhere

no way am i taking it to dealer ;) and i might end up changing fuel filter, air filter is fine, i think maybe its just building up pressure in fuel system, cause 2nd time it starts just fine and car is just as cold . doubt its plugs, but i ll change them eventually if my MPG sux , but it seems to be fine, maybe i m just not use to it, but first time start is a bit longer then when car was just shut off

In this and the other thread, you've indicated that you don't really understand how the car works, but you don't want to take it to the dealer.

If you're not going to take it to the dealer, you really need to learn something about basic auto mechanics. No one's going to be able to diagnose all your problems remotely - and simply replacing parts at random is arguably the worst possible way to fix things that are broken. Try finding a course at your local library or community college. Or bite the bullet and find someone who DOES know how cars work.

when did I say that i did not understand how car works? well lexus maybe . but i had a talon, that i worked on, i have replaced everything mostly, clutch, injectors, radiator, turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, clutch slave/master, etc etc etc, did everything but the brakes heh, never bothered touching the rusty brakes, on lexus i might try ; )

and I WOULD NEVER TAKE TO DEALER, regular mechanic maybe, but never a dealer, btw a lot of times dealers/mechanics replace parts at rendom and dont solve nothing ;)

so dont know what you are talking about

thanx for reply though

Ok to make things simple,

if you think it is a fuel pressure problem from the filter or the pump

turn the key and wait until it stops from building inital pressure then turn it off and do it again 3 times total, if it starts right up then you might have a pressure problem,

If not then you need to look at otehr areas,

what maintance have you done since owning it?

and most important what year is the car???????????//

IACV whats that? anyways i tried what u guys sugested, and its correct, after i let it sit on on position 2-3 times before starting, it started right up, so i m guesing over night it looses fuel pressure, and takes that extra second to build it before car starts

might be fuel filter, but i doubt it. I ll see maybe later on i ll change it, but for now i ll just crank it a bit longer ; )

thanx guys

steviej well it did not , when he was looking at post, and he is right for asking about the year, I have put that signature after, so every one knows what year car i have, sorry about forgetting to put year before,

I m use to having a eagle talon, and when i was on boards i had nickname TSI_AWD92 , so most people knew what year i had heh, but here i just put ilyailya, i should have done ilyas97es300 ;) anyways thanx

I stand corrected and apologize to sk. :blushing:

IACV = Idle air control valve. The ones on the 1MZFE tend to get carboned up and sluggish over time. The valve assembly needs a good cleaning every so often.

if fuel pressure is suspected, have a shop hook up a pressure monitor so that you can record the fuel rail pressure on cold start up, warm start up, etc.

steviej