Taillight Warning Light Is On

djenks

I have a 1999 LS400 - the taillight warning has illuminated within the message center, telling me that I have a taillight that is out. I went to the auto parts store and bought new bulbs and was about to install them - when I noticed - I do not have a taillight (or brake light) that is not working. They are all working fine.

The warning light comes on every time I start the car. Does anybody know anything about this - or is this a future trip to the dealership (say it ani't so)????

Any help is greatly appreciated. :wacko:

Next time you start the car use the parking brake not the foot brake and if the warning is not on and it comes on when you apply the foot brake the brake lights are not all working. Don't forget to check all the bulbs in the high mounted brake light.

yeah make sure ALL the brake lights are working back there

and if they are and the light is still on.........

then what you could do is, disconnect the batter and go in and clean all the brake light connector housings up really good.........there could be some corrosion that has built up over years that is causing an intermitent connection...triggering the light to come on........

also while you are in there you might as well go ahead and change out all the bulbs, to save u some hassle in the future (they are cheap anyway)

good luck

Probably what you have is a bulb that works sometimes and not others. I went through the same thing. Most of the time the inidcator went off when I started the car, then would come on. One of the tailight bulbs was bad. The filament was broken but still touched sometimes. Replaced it, no further problems. I directions for bulb replacement for the early LS cars in the part that is in the fenders (not trunk).

I'm having the same problem. My Lexus dealer just lightened my wallet of $35 for 8 bulbs today, and if this solves my porblem, it'll be well worth it, and if not, I got screwed! I've had someone press my brakes for me while I checked the bulbs, and every light lights up, but that dam malfunction light is still on. I've even put that electrical grease on all of the bulbs, but that didn't help either. I'll report back tomorrow(hopefully with a good report!) with my results of replacing all of the bulbs.

:cheers:

I would inspect all the bulbs first. A bulb could be half burnt out like others have mentioned. You can only see this if you look at the filaments...if there is a break the bulb is bad. There are a lot of bulbs to check but this is the first step.

I recently tinted my tails and then upgraded to super bright stop lights...to make up for the tint. Man there are a lot of bulbs! In my 91 there are 12 bulbs in the rear!!! :o

Oh and once you have checked or replaced bulbs I would reset the ECU so the warning code is cleared ;).

Super bright stop lights...

To detect that a bulb is burned on there is a current flow sensing resistor in series with the positive battery source. This resistor may not be of high enough power disapation wattage to support the additional current flow.

I had the same problem with my Sc400! It turned out to be a loose connection on the ground wire; just make sure all the connection are good (any sign of corrosion?) The dealer(s) won't tell you this because they want to sell the overprice bulbs! Good luck, T.N.

I replaced all of the lights in the back-6 brake, 2 reverse, and 2 side markers, and now, the tail light malfunction light is off!!! :D I say $35 well spent! lol They were all lit, but I guess they weren't up to the readings that the computer was looking for. Thanks for the suggestions Silver and Denny! ;)

:cheers: