New Here-gr8 Site - Got Major Problems!

itcamefrommars

Hi,

WOW... awesome site... impressive!

I'm new here and have a 92 LS400.

It's dead. I have searched the forum but my problem question is rather specific.

OK.... first off... recently through a divorce and haven't seen kids in almost 2 years. My Lex has suffered.

Power Steering has been leeking for 2 years now. Was rebuilt 3 years ago.

I just keep adding fluid... have let it run dry many times (I KNOW I KNOW... BUT I was even homeless for a while there... well my Lex was my home!)

Recently (last month) it's been making a "whirrrrrr" sound, like a loud fan.

A week ago it just stopped in traffic. I have crappy battery terminal connectors on it and sometimes have to twist them to get a good connection.

I messed with the battery, added water and after about 10 minutes it started up.

It made a squeaky weird sound and checked it the next day.

The alt. belt didn't seem to have enough tension.... drove it around the block and lost the belt.

Bought a belt.... went to put it on and noticed that the fan is coming out of the water pump.

The fan still has the shaft connected and I can see the shaft with a grove on it when I pull it out as far as I can. (restricted by the shroud and radiator.)

There are metal shavings on the inside of the fan.

Could it be the PowSteering pump froze and screwed up the fan/water pump.

Where should I start.... on a budget.... and don't want to spend money in the wrong place....

I'm going to take out the fan today to inspect it more.... just found this forum and figured I'd ask some questions first.

Thanks to all for the forum.... I'll be a regular here!.... as I've troubleshot alot on the LS400 these last 2 years! (like the taillight circuit box melted and got a new one at a junkyard for 20bucks...dealer wanted $350... errrgh)

Thanks again all!

Wellcome. I would start with the water pump. It sounds like to me that your bearing failed and it just let loose. The problem is that the water pump job is a big job. You have to take out the timing belt and while you are at it you might as well change the belt. The powersteering is also serious because it can short out the alternator and your battery will not charge up. You have two big problems. The water pump is first. Good luck and feel free to ask questions. B)

Hello and welcome to LOC!

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, but hopefully with some help here, you can get your Lexus back in perfect working order.

I do not know a lot about the mechanicals of these cars, but I agree with EM91. That pump may be the #1 thing to replace.

I would also recommend getting that power steering leak repaired, because over time, the fluid from the pump will destroy the alternator. Could be part of the problem with the stalling? :unsure: Do any unusual instrument warning lights illuminate when driving?

I am sure many folks will ring in here with excellent, helpful information- there are a lot of knowlegable LS400 (as well as other Lexus) owners here.

Good luck!!