Any Of You Have That Protective 3m Shield Film

bkchig

Hey guys, just bought a es330 last week. At the tint & detailing place, some of the guys that were getting their cars tinted also got the 3M protective shield that goes across the whole front bumper and 1/4 up the hood. I told the sales guy I would get it when I get my car tinted, but what do you guys think? It protects against rock chips, but I was wondering if it would fade or peel over time. Do any of you guys have this on your car?

Yes, I got the 3M protective shield that was installed by my Lexus dealer. Personally, I don't think it's worth the exorbitant price I paid. $500 bucks!

It ended up that the dealer refunded the price because they just put this 3M on the front & rear bumpers only covering part of the bumpers(8" strips) which naturally when someone backed up, it missed the protected area. The dealer told me that they didn't want the bother of removing this film. It's been on my car for about a year and a half and it didn't fade or peel and still looks good though, but if another car hits your bumper with a possibly sharp part of his bumper, it'll dig right into this supposedly strong plastic and it looks like hell. Save your money! ;)

I say go for it. Nothing looks worse than a car hood and bumper full of rock chips. I stopped counting after 30 rock chips on my 2004 ES. I am now going through the should have would have stage.

500 buck!!!!??? that's how much they are charging me for both the tint (3M scotchtint lifetime warranty) and protective film...(including tax)...wow, that dealership took you to the cleaners...They told me that the film will go 24inches back from the front...covering the bumper and front part of the hood. I guess it might be worth it..

Dealerships always mark up the price on tint and "clear-bra" and in most cases outsource the job to a shop that charges half of what they charge you. One of my clients is an independent tint shop that does work for 90% of the dealers in his area. He charges approximately $150 for tint and $199 for a clear bra. The dealerships he does work for usually charge $300 and $500 respectively.

Another thing to consider, regarding amf1932's problem with the film only covering part of the bumper: Sometimes dealerships will buy pre-cut kits and do the installation themselves. This doesn't yield the greatest results. If you take your car to an experienced shop, they'll cut the film on-site, according to your specifications (if possible... sometimes the curves and lines on the car prevent the film from adhering). A shop can also apply the film to your side mirrors and headlights.

In my opinion, the clear bra is well worth the money. Different shops use different materials (some are thinner and less visible), but regardless of where you go or what material you use, the results are great. The bra shouldn't fade or peel. If you have a white or very light car, though, keep in mind there will be a slight discoloration of the protected area (this is the film, and doesn't affect the paint).

Definately have the clear bra put on.

The point of the clear bra is not to protect the car against collision like Alan was told, it won't do that. The point is to protect it against stone chips and light scuffs. $500 is nothing, dealers charge $1000 or so for the full kit. Most detail shops will do it for less. Its worth every penny. They don't crack or peel over time, nor do they yellow. They can also be removed at any time with no discoloration afterwards. Get the headlights coated too.

Go for it. I have it on my front end and have not regretted it. I have very few chips on the hood (where it is not protected) and the protected part is still pristine.

Check to see what film they are using. The early 3M films (in case they still have some in stock to use) caused the paint to have a slight orange peel look. 3M just came out with a new film about 5 months ago that drasticallly reduced this. I have the early ones since I did mine a year ago. I'm also hearing of another film maker called Venture. These are supposed to have a lifetime warranty and no orange peel look.

Inquire more about the film. Some of the kits I found also include headlight, foglight, and upper rear bumper protection as well as the front bumper, hood, airdam, and portion of the fenders. They want around $700 installed for this kit in my area.

The info is great guy! I really appreciate it. The film is 3M and they are ordering the 24inch kit for my car...(though I believe they use sheets of it and just etches the pattern out). I going to get it with the 3M scotchtint (smoke color) for my windows.

Hey, this is a more friendly and informative site compared to the VWvortex site...(I had a VW before). Thanks guys. Take it easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Most tint shops do clear bra. I would start by calling some shops near your dealership and asking "Do you do work for Such and Such Lexus?" Unless they've made some agreement with the dealership, they'll be happy to tell you. Don't worry if you can't find the specific shop, though. Any decent tint shop will do a good job with the bra. Just ask lots of questions and make sure you get the answers you want.

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I just bought a gold '98 ES300 yesterday with only 56K on it, the front of the car is pristine, not a mark on it. I bought it at a Lexus dealer (lease turn-in), and they tried to push the clear bra thing on me but I declined. They wanted $600 for the insntall. I've seen the pre-cit kits for other cars in catalogs for less than $200, I'm considering doing it myself instead. Wondering if anybody here has tried this, and a place to get one.

I am told it is a simple process. All the pieces are precut.

You wet up the section in soapy water (I don't know if it is just dish soap or if a special solution comes with the kit). you also wet up the car so that the piece section slides around for positioning. When you got it in place, you blot off the wetness and let it dry. I would assume you squeegy out the air bubbles, too.

Do a google search on Autobra or Clear bra and see what you come up with.

steviej