What Is The Best Cell Phone Company?

93LSOwner

yeah but will it happen to me?

The Phone program at my office is getting dropped due to budget cuts, so no more phone for me. this has been known for awhile, since the fisrt of the year or so, but i have been so busy i sort of forgot.

i went to 3 different carriers, and because i have no credit history (i have never financed anything)... they all wanted a deposit of around $500.

AT&T/Cingular: $500

T-Mobile: $440

Sprint: $465

The only one that came back with $0 for a deposit was VZW. so guess what? i may have to go that route. i have to have my phone for work, and motorola isnt offereing their "employees only" service anymore after the 15th of april.

but i dont want to get screwed...i also dont feel like taking out a signature loan (which i probably cant even get without a cosigner) just to pay a security deposit on a *BLEEP*ing cellular plan. <_<

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you're not interested in high line features like Bluetooth and having the latest in phone technology availiable to you Verizon will be fine. I'd do Verizon too to avoid a $500 deposit requirement.

Get some credit! Unfortunately in this country people who have no debt and only buy what they can afford are at a disadvantage.

As long as you're not interested in high line features like Bluetooth and having the latest in phone technology availiable to you Verizon will be fine. I'd do Verizon too to avoid a $500 deposit requirement.

Get some credit! Unfortunately in this country people who have no debt and only buy what they can afford are at a disadvantage.

verizon provieds those high end features and service is awesome

the only bad thing abotu vzw is it is a litle bit overpriced

but IMHO its better overpay then have some bad service like tmobile or singular provides

I did not expect the topic to go up to 6 pages!!! lol

As the starter of the topic I thought I should let you guys know my side as well. My provider is Cingular and I have a LG L1400. Last month, when I went home, whenever I would turn on the camera, the internal screen would have this pink colored bar on the top. So, I took it to the Cingular store and they messed around with the settings like I haven’t tried it!

After 15 minutes of messing around with the setting they just gave me a new phone!

I did not expect the topic to go up to 6 pages!!! lol

As the starter of the topic I thought I should let you guys know my side as well. My provider is Cingular and I have a LG L1400. Last month, when I went home, whenever I would turn on the camera, the internal screen would have this pink colored bar on the top. So, I took it to the Cingular store and they messed around with the settings like I haven’t tried it!

After 15 minutes of messing around with the setting they just gave me a new phone!

so what was wrong with the phone?? I was thinking about getting that L1400 before I got the Treo 650 and V551 but I decided on those phones because they are quad-band so I can use them when i vacation in the Philippines. (FYI- They are unlocked!!!!)

almost got worried at one point when i found out they were both locked, especially the Treo 650. I couldn't imagine buying the unlocked Treo 650 for $700!

If i didn't get my Treo unlocked, can that be a basis of me returning it for an unlocked model when my main reason for switching to Cingular from Sprint was the capability of changing SIM cards in different countries?? They didn't disclose that to me when I first bought the phone (especially they had 2 options but i was never told of the unlocked unit when i was shopping around for the treo).

but IMHO its better overpay then have some bad service like tmobile or singular provides

Verizon most certainly does NOT offer Bluetooth. They cripple all the bluetooth features in their bluetooth phones except whats neccisary to run a bluetooth headset so you have to use their pay per use data services. No file transfer or dial up networking which is where Bluetooth really shines. Verizon is also the slowest carrier to add new phones to their lineup because they are suspicious of how new technologies will effect their bottom line.

I have 2 of Verizons POS excuses for Bluetooth phones.

Cingular for instance may not have as strong service (depending on where you are) but their phones come with all their features intact.

Verizon most certainly does NOT offer Bluetooth. They cripple all the bluetooth features in their bluetooth phones except whats neccisary to run a bluetooth headset so you have to use their pay per use data services. No file transfer or dial up networking which is where Bluetooth really shines. Verizon is also the slowest carrier to add new phones to their lineup because they are suspicious of how new technologies will effect their bottom line.

I have 2 of Verizons POS excuses for Bluetooth phones.

Cingular for instance may not have as strong service (depending on where you are) but their phones come with all their features intact.

Steve, Bluetooth and video really isnt what i want the phone for. yeah it would be nice, but i dont need it. nor do i want it at the moment. i can get the V265 for free witha 2 year contract, with the option to upgrade the phone in 6 months, so i may just do this. my only other issue with this is CDMA is only in the US, Korea and a few other small countries (japan may have it as well). if i have GSM and i get shipped to Iraq, i can use it there. BUT, i have to pay the $500 deposit if i do this...i hate choices.

I hear what you say about debt, but i have made a vow to not take out any kind of major loan until i am finished with school, with the exception of possibly a car laon, when the time is right. I have one credit card that i use for emergencies...and i have never used it. maybe i should start using it for gas or something.

PM me if you have any suggestions for credit building...i suppose if i had VZW service it would build up credit as well.

No, cell phone service won't help your credit. Its one of those things where you need credit to get it, but it won't reflect on your credit report. All it shows are peices of credit, no utility bills, no rent, etc. So, credit cards, car loans, department store accounts, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, etc.

To build credit you need:

4 credit cards or 4 total peices of ACTIVE credit. If you have no credit you wont be able to get a car loan. Lenders want to see 4, active (meaning used every 6 months or so), and responsibly used (no balances over 30-50% of the availiable credit) peices of credit. These can be credit cards, loans, etc.

Bear in mind you'll be sub prime until you have a credit history of 5-10 years, putting you automatically out of top tier car and home loans regardless of how perfect your credit is so get started now. Since you have one card thats begun a credit history which is a great start.

Start slowly opening new accounts, every 3-4 months or so and charge something to each and pay it off. It will pay off in the long run, trust me.

No, cell phone service won't help your credit. Its one of those things where you need credit to get it, but it won't reflect on your credit report. All it shows are peices of credit, no utility bills, no rent, etc. So, credit cards, car loans, department store accounts, personal loans, student loans, mortgages, etc.

To build credit you need:

4 credit cards or 4 total peices of ACTIVE credit. If you have no credit you wont be able to get a car loan. Lenders want to see 4, active (meaning used every 6 months or so), and responsibly used (no balances over 30-50% of the availiable credit) peices of credit. These can be credit cards, loans, etc.

Bear in mind you'll be sub prime until you have a credit history of 5-10 years, putting you automatically out of top tier car and home loans regardless of how perfect your credit is so get started now. Since you have one card thats begun a credit history which is a great start.

Start slowly opening new accounts, every 3-4 months or so and charge something to each and pay it off. It will pay off in the long run, trust me.

will do!

IMHO the phones are to make calls, not to take pictures or watch videos:)

all i want in the phone is a good battery life and a strong service

and my lg vx6000 does that :) it holds the charge for 2-3 days

there was a recent article in the pc magazine about all those extra features in the phone

and verizon now has a phone that is GSM/CDMA capable thus its goinna be working in another countries. also verizon has few phones with a fullsize keyboard.

i personally dont care how many megapixels are inthe camera phone

i use my SLR camera to take pix and i find all those ringtones really annoying, me and ppl around me usually keep their phones on vibrate. i understand that companies are trying to combine few different gadgets into a phone but i dont think its going to be worth it. simlicity and reliability are my goals when i buy my things.

eg i was driving my friends brand new infinity m35x and i have to admit its a nice car and the dash looks rather comlicated but when it comes to reliability and how easy things are to use lexus dash is much more intuitive and everthing looks rather well placed despite of a first impression of a rather simple console.

just my 5c:)

I fully agree, but bluetooth is one of those features thats going to become an industry standard. Not only is it a safety issue (excellent handsfree systems that are troublefree to use) its a productivity issue for people who need to access the Internet on the go, theres just no excuse for crippling the bluetooth.

IMHO the phones are to make calls, not to take pictures or watch videos:)

all i want in the phone is a good battery life and a strong service

and my lg vx6000 does that :) it holds the charge for 2-3 days

there was a recent article in the pc magazine about all those extra features in the phone

and verizon now has a phone that is GSM/CDMA capable thus its goinna be working in another countries. also verizon has few phones with a fullsize keyboard.

i personally dont care how many megapixels are inthe camera phone

i use my SLR camera to take pix and i find all those ringtones really annoying, me and ppl around me usually keep their phones on vibrate. i understand that companies are trying to combine few different gadgets into a phone but i dont think its going to be worth it. simlicity and reliability are my goals when i buy my things.

eg i was driving my friends brand new infinity m35x and i have to admit its a nice car and the dash looks rather comlicated but when it comes to reliability and how easy things are to use lexus dash is much more intuitive and everthing looks rather well placed despite of a first impression of a rather simple console.

just my 5c:)

it may be GSM, but you have to check the frequencies of the country your traveling to AND if the phone is LOCKED into the Verizon cell company. ;)

Besides, isn't Sprint trying to get GSM world phones into their system too??? :whistles: