Turning Light And Steering Wheel Problems

Hey all,

I'm new here and really happy to find such a great forum for Lexus owners here. I currently own a onyx black 99 Lexus ES300 that has been a great drive so far.

Recently, I've noticed two problems starting to surface with my Lexus. The first is my right turn signal, it seems to be flickering (and clicks) very quickly on the dash display where my left turning signal flickers normally. I tried checking outside and it seems like my right turn signal up front is very dim. Could this quick flickering be a problem with my right turning light bulb and what model of bulb do I need to replace it with?

The second problem deals with my steering wheel. It seems around 7-10 degrees off to the right in order to center the car. Would a normal alignment solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

AC

Could this quick flickering be a problem with my right turning light bulb and what model of bulb do I need to replace it with?

Before changing the bulb, make sure that the socket is clean. Sometimes the bulb contacts become oxidized and will result in a fast flashing. Generally, bulbs either work or they don't.

The second problem deals with my steering wheel. It seems around 7-10 degrees off to the right in order to center the car. Would a normal alignment solve this problem?

A proper wheel alignment will correct this problem. Make sure to tell them to "Centralize the Steering". Actually though, the centering of the steering wheel does not require a wheel alignment because it's a separate operation.

Example: On a few occasions when I had wheel alignments done, the wheel alignment was correct, but the steering wheel was off. They correct this by moving the tie rod ends in or out. This does NOT affect the alignment.

kind of disagree with both answers

the bulbs can half work by having a broken filament which still arcs and works alot less

it may have become loose

get a new bulb and replace it anyway

the steering wheel may be corectly aligned as well as the wheels but the rack itself may be off from a number of changes incluiding a steering wheel change or rack removal

moving the tierods will center the wheels and steering wheel but not the rack

each part needs to be centered individually to get a perfect center of all 3

SK-

Sometimes I feel you answer questions just to be argumentative. :angry:

When I said, "Generally, bulbs either work or they don't." These are the most common causes, NOT arcing filaments!

When I said, "Make sure to tell them to "Centralize the Steering", this is generally all that is needed to correct these problems. Of course the rack mis-alignment is possible, but not very common.

When I suggest something, it's to correct a problem with the simplest way first, before going on to the more complex fixes. ;)

amf, moving tie rod ends in or out DOES affect the alignment AND steering wheel center position. That's basically how you do alignment - by moving tie rods you adjust toe in or out. Improper front toe can cause pulling, tire wearing and out of center steering wheel. :chairshot:

When I said to move the tie rod ends, I meant they turn them in opposite directions to keep the toe in the same, but it repositions the spokes on the sterring wheel. It does NOT affect the alignment!!

Could you explain what does "opposite directions" means? :blink: There are only two directions - in or out, so you can extend or shorten the tie rod (and change toe by doing this). Some common type steering systems had special sleeves designed to straight steering wheel w/o changing toe, but rack-and-pinion systems don't have them, so once you move tie rod end you gonna change toe :)

i don;t try and be argumentative ,just give straight facts.

if the car dirves straight fine then it is not a wheel alignment problem it is a rack steeing wheel problem ,correct?

chanign the rod ends will do nothing for the true senter of all 3 unless done together

It's a little hard to explain but I'll try.

If you turn the drivers side tie rod so the direction of the front of the tire is shifted to the left and then turn the passenger side tie rod the same amount to shift that tire also to the left then the toe in would remain the same, but the only thing that will change is the steering wheel position.

This was done by Lexus on my '94ES when I had to bring it back to correct my steering wheel so the spokes were centered when driving on a straight road. The car did not have to go back on the alignment machine to do this, and it was done in a matter of minutes. And this is how they told me it was corrected!

So there. :chairshot: and a double :chairshot:

correct you can move the rods equally but

the wheel is now centered but not the rack

each part needs to be done independantly.

the wheel moves any way you put it but the rack limits the degree of turn not the steering wheel

Anyway, I would move my tie rods only while the car sitting on alignment rack with sensors on the wheels B) If they created mashine like this, why should I trust my eyes? :pirate: I'll let laser take care of it! :geek:

Didn't mean to heart anybody and of course not arguing, just trying to give right information to our people, because everybody learns something new every day, same as I do. ES99, you just need an alignment, it gonna fix your steering wheel problem :cheers: