Front Suspension Problems

elazar

Hi, I am a little new to this club, but I did some searching before I posted this. I have a 1994 Lexus ES300, bought it used, 125,000mi. It had some problems when I bought it, cracked headlight assembly, the steering wheel was crooked(took it in for a MAJOR alignment, and that fixed it.), and it needed an oxygen sensor. I repaired all of the problems, but I still seem to have a problem with the front suspension. The car sways when I drive it, not alot, but you can feel it. It kinda rocks side to side at higher speeds. I also have the infamous clunking sound, but that I know how to fix. I am pretty handy with the car, I replaced the headlight assembly, oxygen sensor, air filter, pcv valve, plugs, some bulbs, fuses, fuel filter, etc. I did some seraching on the internet and haven't found anyone with the same problem, so I guess maybe my problem is a little unique. Just a little backround info on the front suspesion: one of the stabilizer links is missing, and the other is shot. The tires have a nice amount of wear on the insides, due to the fact that the car was driven alot before it was aligned properly. I was told that stabliliser links help the car on hairpin turns, and are not so critical to the front suspension. I don't really think that is true, but if someone in this forum can enlighten me as to what they do, and where to get them for a good price that would be much appreciated. Basically, the car sways when I drive, and I do not have the steering control that I should when I drive the car(at higher speeds(i.e. 65-70mph), the car will pull/jerk to the other direction on turns and curves)

Oh, another thing, the steering is very loose, but I think that's b/c of the steering rack, which may not be worth replacing. If you know otherwise, please tell.

Thanks,

Elazar

I've had a very similar problem. If you have a friend handy you could do a check for a worn steering bushing. Have the friend rock the steering wheel left to right while you look at the behaviour of the steering box and rack. If your bushing is worn then you'll see the entire rack sliding from left to right. This play/movement almost caused me to run off the road while passing another vehicle.

To repear it I had a mechanic insert a new bushing (from a land rover), and it's running fine now.

hope this helps some.

• 2 weeks later...

xxxavier2k... i have a 93 and i am also curious about the steering bushing (i ironically almost ran my ES off the road on Atlantic City e-way last week). the play in my steering wheel is ridiculous now and it just started like a few days before the incident. i had someone look at it and they also suggested a "bushing" may be broken or worn down to nothing. said r&p and inner tire rods/axle, etc. was fine. (he basically yanked on the rods and felt the whole rack and steering box moving freely). does that sound like the same issue you experienced? how difficult was it to fix and how much did damage did it do (to your pockets)??

Sorry for being out so long. I had ISP problems. Yes sticky the problem sounds adentical to what mine used to be. The bushing is a rubber-like sleeve that fits in the steering rack where the bolt that attaches the rack to the cross member is fitted.

On the driver side the bushing is in the steering box it self while on the passenger side the bushing is on the steering rack bracket.

Hope this helps