1991 Lexus-how Many Miles Can It Go?

apsharp

This isy first post here and just wanted to describe my experiences with my 1991 ls400. What a great car!!! I purchased 3 years ago with 67k original miles from the original owner. I know have 170k on it. So far the only item outside of regular maintenence that I have done is replace the front power steering assembly and the radiator. Other than that the car still has the original spark plugs, valve gaskets. I have 0 leaks and I run this car 70mph 100-500 miles every day!!!

I use to be a MB diesel fan getting great use out of them. But their were problems, constant vacuum problems, turbo lag, cold starting issues, electronic problems. What I have found with the Lexus is a car that is smoother, LESS TRIPS TO DEALER, more power, and less money out of pocket for repairs.

I have been using Mobil 1 since 90k, and was wondering what some of you are seeing in mileage, anyone over 300k with original motor and tranny? Has anyone switched to synthetic tranny fluid, if so any differences, and what brand and viscosity?

Thanks

-A

Not quite 300K on mine yet, but I do have a little over 231K on my car. Still no leaks under the car- nor the power steering pump and engine is still super silky smooth, aside from some minor lifter chatter at idle- which seems to be very harmless and very common on these cars.

Ironically, I am considering the purchase of a Mercedes 300SD diesel to use as a work car, instead of my LS.

I have test drove a couple of high mile examples (300SD's), neither as smooth as the Lexus, but diesels are not supposed to be ultra-smooth. The 500SEL's (V8 gasolines) are smooth, but much more complex and much lower MPG.

90ls400lexus

If you are looking at the 1992 and up mercedes diesel W140 chassis 300sd I would strongly suggest to run like the plague. Those 300sd's are miserable rod benders. You can go to any mercedes chat forum and 99% of all members will tell you to do the same.

90ls400lexus

If you are looking at the 1992 and up mercedes diesel W140 chassis 300sd I would strongly suggest to run like the plague.  Those 300sd's are miserable rod benders.  You can go to any mercedes chat forum and 99% of all members will tell you to do the same.

Thanks. You are right. I have been there and heard that. I have heard that most any of the 92-up S-Class should be avoided, even the diesel. I have owned a diesel Mercedes in the past, but it was a 1974. If I bought another, I would only consider the 1981-1985 300SD, as they seem to be the best ones. Thanks again for the tip.

I just sold my '83 300 Turbo diesel with 84k on it to get my '90 LS. The old 123 bodystyle is by far the most dependable one there is. Before this one I had a '79 greymarket wagon, nonturbo that was bulletproof with over 180k miles. It's life was ended by an 18 wheeler in '97.

An 83 W124 chassis with only 84k??? Wow, was it in great shape? The 300's ran for ever and ever, I test drove pne that had 384k on the clock and the original tranny, turbo, and motor and the thing ran like a top!!!

My '94 LS 400 has 224,000 on it, runs like new and does not use any oil.

Still will hit 120 when I need to pass someone, and the a/c will freeze me out. You can idle it all day in the Florida sun with the A/C on and it won't overheat.

Best car I have ever owned, and I have had plenty, including 2 BMW's

:) .

Those ole 81-85 5cylinders are about bullet proof. Let me kow when you find one, I still love hearing those things fire up on a cold morning!

You are right- they will run forever if they are well maintained. I test drove a 84 300SD a few months ago. I owned the Lexus at the time, so I was able to notice how much more "unsmooth" it was than my Lexus, but this is a diesel- they are not supposed to be as smooth as a gasoline V8. The transmission seemed to be slipping a bit into 3rd gear, so I passed. I almost bought a 83' 300SD last year for $1500. It ran great, despite the fact that it had 348K. Someone else bought it and I still see it going down the road from time to time.

I really would like to find one to use as a daily driver. I was considering a 1987 Mercedes 420SEL, with 178K, but it probably uses more gas than my car.

talk about never driving a car

'93 LS 400 just reached 60K

WOW. That is extremely low miles for a 93 LS400. Did you buy it new?

yes :blushing:

haha...i guess we just never drove it, it was kinda the luxury car we drove on nice evenings, the others, it was the SUV or sports car.

talk about never driving a car

'93 LS 400 just reached 60K

Hi jason525!! :)

That's interesting!! MY 1993 LS is getting VERY close to the 100,000 km mark. [which is about 62,000 miles] I wonder.. what colour is YOUR LS?! Mine is Black Jade with Black leather. [you can see it by clicking on the link found at the bottom of this message]

Craig!! :)