Can't Afford A 2004 So What Is 2nd Best..

twestrope

I am beginning to consider getting a used LS. My budget can't handle a new 2004 LS 430. What would be the 2nd best year of the LS 400/430's ? What would be the best year if value was the primary consideration? Thanks.

Not all of us can afford a 2004...and not all of us want to tie up that much capital in a car.

I'm fairly value oriented, being the product of parents that are Quakers and grew up during the Depression...

For me, I like the 98-2000 styling much better than any LS year except the 2004, so that narrowed my decision considerably. I ended up with a '98 for $15, letting the previous owner take the $35-40K in depreciation. Granted, I don't have all the latest bells and whistles, but I got a quiet car with a great ride and everything I need. No one can tell it has 100K on it. And no car loan!!! The car will easily go another 100k.

I can go buy a boat with the $35-40K I saved, and enhance my life considerably more than buying a 2004.

Just make sure the car checks out: carfax, maintenance records.

My 2 pennies.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the '90-'97 models are significantly easier to work on because they don't have the variable valve timing engine. Examples: changing the timing belt or checking the valve clearances is alot less complicated on the '90-'97 models.

I LIKE THE '00. THE WOOD GRAIN WHEEL IS DEFINITELY AN UPGRADE!! I DONT THINK THE BODY STYLE IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN THE 98 BUT I JUST LIKE THE IDEA OF PURCHASING SOMETHING NEWER. I HAVE A 96 LS400 AND I'M WAITING A COUPLE OF YEARS FOR THAT '04 LS430 TO DEPRECIATE. THEN I'LL SNATCH IT UP AND BE DONE BUYING CARS FOR AT LEAST 10 YEARS!!!! <_<

I just got an '01. One thing you'll notice if you're shopping now, is that there are a lot of '01s on dealer lots that have just come off 36 month leases.

So, you have a good selection of cars with three years of depreciation and something like 40k or 50k miles.

Good luck!

JPF

I do not think you would be disappointed with a nice, low mile 90-94 LS400. No, they are not as advanced as the 95-04's, but they are still well-built capable cars, that offer grand luxury, bulletproof reliability. Be sure to check some of the trouble spots on these cars, as well as a Carfax. I am considering "upgrading" to a 93-94 LS400, or perhaps a 95-97 LS400. I almost bought a 98' LS400 for $15000, but was hesitant paying $15K for 6 year old car, even if it is a Lexus and I like the fact that my 1990 is paid for (paid for in full when I bought it). I have also been considering a 1980s Mercedes 300SD turbo diesel, 91-97 Toyota Land Cruiser, or a 95-98 Chevrolet Suburban / Tahoe SUV. Still have not made a definete decision on whether or not I will keep the 90 LS400. Aside from some minor flaws, it is still a great running car, that still gets a lot of compliments- which I think it neat, considering it is nearly 15 years old.

Good luck with whatever you decide.....

I was once told by a Lexus mechanic the 2 years for the most reliable Lexus LS400 is 91 and 93. I have a 91 and it's great, 170k and no problems other than replacing power steering assembly and radiator. I do beleive the 93's have a better brake system and wider tires!

I got a 2001, exactly like someone posted, off lease, 41,000 miles, got a great deal, someone else took the hit! I looked over the 2004 brochure, and the 2001 is pretty much the same body style and interior. The 2004 has more high end tech stuff, but $70,000 was out of the question. I love my 2001, it has the ultra luxury package and driving in the commute has never been better!