Want To Buy Shocks

bgwilly

thats not good advice any others

Well here's some good advice for you - be polite or be gone. 90LS has over 500 posts, and you can assume he has advised and helped many others, like he has politely attemped to do for you.

You have four posts.

Buy whatever shocks you want. Figure it out.

Is this true that all other shocks are going to cause a more harsh ride? I love my ride but would at some point like to refresh it. I have been looking at the tokiko's and know they are a high end shock, but are they too stiff?

Is this true that all other shocks are going to cause a more harsh ride?  I love my ride but would at some point like to refresh it.  I have been looking at the tokiko's and know they are a high end shock, but are they too stiff?

I have heard that most other aftermarket shocks/struts are stiffer than the OEM's. I am not sure about the Tokikos.

To bgwilly- I am not sure about the 99s, but the struts for the 1990-1994 at the dealer are $49 each for the front and $52 each for the rear.

Good luck to you.

I'm also thinking of getting new shocks. [opps - STRUTS!!] And like some of us - have often thought about getting a different type of strut [non-OEM - in other words] to stiffen up the ride a BIT. But perhaps by buying brand new OEM struts - the car would FEEL like it has stiffer struts. Is there logic to that thinking?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

I'm also thinking of getting new shocks. [opps - STRUTS!!] And like some of us - have often thought about getting a different type of strut [non-OEM - in other words] to stiffen up the ride a BIT. But perhaps by buying brand new OEM struts - the car would FEEL like it has stiffer struts. Is there logic to that thinking?!

Thanks,

Craig,

Good to hear from you!!

I think new OEM struts will be stiffer than the old ones......in my mind, they'd have to be.... We're talking 12 years of wear & tear, so it should improve ride!!

Like 90LS has priced - the OEM's are about 1/2 price of the others, so I'd get them anyway.

SRK - well said :D

:cheers:

90LS400Lexus,

What dealer sells the struts for $52 and $49? Do they offer mail order?

Also, what kind of pricing is typical for new front control arms (to get rid of the clunking)?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi mmaigret. I bought my rear struts from my local Lexus dealer- which is Lexus of Kingsport, which is located in the Tri-Cities area of northeast Tennessee. Ironically, they are also a Toyota dealership- so the struts actually came out of the Toyota parts department. I have not bought the front yet- and may not, since i am considering selling the car- because of front end clunks, non-working A/C (bad evaporator). However, I did call them and they said the front ones for a 90 LS400 w/o air suspension is $49. each, but that was a couple of months ago when I called. If you would like to call them (Lexus of Kingsport), their number is

(423) 224-2270. They may be able to tell you if they ship or not.

About the front end clunking - it varies. If I recall, 99LSguy said it would cost about $300 parts to replace some of the parts. I have heard it can cost as much as $800 to rebuild the front suspension- which is a lot more than I want to invest in my high mile LS400- which is why I am thinking of selling. Too bad there is not a recall on these.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Craig,

Good to hear from you!!

I think new OEM struts will be stiffer than the old ones......in my mind, they'd have to be.... We're talking 12 years of wear & tear, so it should improve ride!!

Like 90LS has priced - the OEM's are about 1/2 price of the others, so I'd get them anyway.

SRK - well said :D

You are right- the new OEMs do not seem to be all that soft and they would be firmer than worn out OEM struts. Granted, my car is a little "floaty" and seems softly sprung in the rear on the highway, but still, over sharp bumps, especially in the city it does not "soak" up the bumps as much as I would like, especially if both tires hit a bump (such as a speed bump) at the same time. Also, when only about 200 lbs is in the trunk or rear seat, it tends to "bottom out" often. Front does too. I took my grandpa shopping yesterday. He got about $100 in groceries. I placed all of his packages in the trunk and the car "squated" down quite a bit and it was bottoming out on larger bumps- which seems unusual- considering there was nt that much weight in the trunk of the car. Car appears to set level when empty, so I think the springs are OK, but something is not right with the front. Too firm and too much bottoming in the front- not to mention the clunking. I imagine I need new front springs, struts and bushings throughout. Talk about $$$ or $$$$. :unsure:

Attached is another photo of my car- empty- height looks OK.

post-4-1091856051.jpg

bgwilly, If you have height control(air ride), you will see a switch right by the snow/pwr switch. See pic at the bottom of this post. $206 for all 4 struts on your door step:

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...=11&catalogid=1

$57-front

https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...999&catalogid=1

$47-rear

SRK, excellent advise!! I love it!!!! :D Common courtesy is what makes this such a great club.

Mike, I'd look the price up for the uca and lca for you on PP Lex's site, but I don't know what year you are driving. Here's the link to PP Lex: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

90, don't sell your car!! Fix the few little problems, and you'll be good for another pleasureable 230k! I sure wish there was a recall on the suspension, but I can understand why there isn't since it is a piece of rubber that gets the hell beaten out of it every mile. 90-94 owners can buy just the bushings from Dazian for about $100(I think...pretty sure), and save $900 from not having to buy the entire uca and lca. I've emailed them, and they said that 95-00 LS bushings are in the works and should be ready in November. There's not a chance I'd put aftermarket struts on my LS because the ride is one of the best qualities of this beast! B)

air_susp_edited.jpg

bgwilly, If you have height control(air ride), you will see a switch right by the snow/pwr switch. See pic at the bottom of this post. $206 for all 4 struts on your door step:

$57-front

$47-rear

SRK, excellent advise!! I love it!!!! :D Common courtesy is what makes this such a great club.

Mike, I'd look the price up for the uca and lca for you on PP Lex's site, but I don't know what year you are driving. Here's the link to PP Lex: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

90, don't sell your car!! Fix the few little problems, and you'll be good for another pleasureable 230k! I sure wish there was a recall on the suspension, but I can understand why there isn't since it is a piece of rubber that gets the hell beaten out of it every mile. 90-94 owners can buy just the bushings from Dazian for about $100(I think...pretty sure), and save $900 from not having to buy the entire uca and lca. I've emailed them, and they said that 95-00 LS bushings are in the works and should be ready in November. There's not a chance I'd put aftermarket struts on my LS because the ride is one of the best qualities of this beast! B)

air_susp_edited.jpg

Thanks Blake for the info. I may keep it, but not sure. I was having the problem with my starter (staying engaged) a couple of weeks ago, but it has stopped. I know this is a costly part to replace in terms of labor- not to mention $275 for the starter. A/C evaporator- $800? Front suspension- about $500? Seems like a lot of money, but if this is all it needs within 100000 miles- would not be too bad. None of these things are something that needs attention now- as mentioned- the starter has stopped doing that and I can live without the A/C and the clunking. These are just annoyances. Thanks again.

I was also thinking about selling my car for another 95+ LS with lower miles, but after thinking about it for a second, I realized that it would be pointless! EVERY LS will have clunky suspension sooner or later, the LCD will go out, the timing belt will need to be changed, etc. They all have the same problems! My car runs flawlessly-the old saying that the 1UZ-FE is bullet proof is quite true(!), and like your car, it shifts excellently 98% of the time which is more than acceptable for a 233k mile car. BTW, when is your car due for another timing belt? I'm doing mine tomorrow! It's a scary thought; if JPI wasn't 8 hours away, he'd have the job! Hmmm...JPI franchises would do quite well! lol

You've stuck out the bulk summer without A/C...kudos to you!! I'm a real wimp when it comes to a/c especially down here in the swamp(and I hate riding with the windows down...except for the moonroof!). I too have learned to ignore the clunking! I turn up the sweet stereo system, and all is well! Think about selling the car for a while longer.....atleast enjoy driving it the months when you don't need the a/c! I love watching your sig...it seems like you get a new car every month! lol

I was also thinking about selling my car for another 95+ LS with lower miles, but after thinking about it for a second, I realized that it would be pointless! EVERY LS will have clunky suspension sooner or later, the LCD will go out, the timing belt will need to be changed, etc. They all have the same problems! My car runs flawlessly-the old saying that the 1UZ-FE is bullet proof is quite true(!), and like your car, it shifts excellently 98% of the time which is more than acceptable for a 233k mile car. BTW, when is your car due for another timing belt? I'm doing mine tomorrow! It's a scary thought; if JPI wasn't 8 hours away, he'd have the job! Hmmm...JPI franchises would do quite well! lol

You've stuck out the bulk summer without A/C...kudos to you!! I'm a real wimp when it comes to a/c especially down here in the swamp(and I hate riding with the windows down...except for the moonroof!). I too have learned to ignore the clunking! I turn up the sweet stereo system, and all is well! Think about selling the car for a while longer.....atleast enjoy driving it the months when you don't need the a/c! I love watching your sig...it seems like you get a new car every month! lol

So your 95 has the clunking front suspension too? Learned something new- as I thought it was basically a 90-94 problem, but I guess after so many miles and years- this is something that most cars typically do. You are up to 233K now I see. I think I now have 231,700 right now.

About the timing belt- that is another problem- I have NO idea when it was last changed. That is why I hate when people remove service records from cars. My car had some, but nothing mentions the belt. I got the service history from my Lexus dealer, but some of it is jibberish and really does not go into detail what was done to the car over the years. I hope what I have heard about these being "non-interference" engines is correct. :unsure:

Yes, I have managed without the A/C this summer, but I have only most recently started driving it daily, since I sold my 1992 Buick, which had A/C. It does typically get hot here in northeast Tennessee and is humid through the summer, but temperatures have been below average for a lot of the summer- we have only had about 4 days above 90 degrees, so I have been able to live without A/C, but driving with the windows down gets annoying after a while- especially on the interstate or highway. What really gets me is when it rains outside and it is hot out. Even with the windows barely cracked down, water still pours in these cars- perhaps a design flaw? So, I will have to drive in 80 degree weather, in heavy rain with the windows up. Turning on the vent only brings in heat- where it is so hot outside. I too usually turn up the radio to drown out the clunking. Also, my LCD is just starting to go too. It is dark in spots on certain mornings, but clears up perfectly about an hour (or less) after I drive the car. I guess it is slowly dying.

LOL about the note on my signature. Yes- I have been known to trade cars from time to time. :P I had four until recently- I sold the 92 Buick. I had the 85 Caprice Estate sold on *-Bay, but it was dead-beat bidder, so I will relist or send a second chance offer to the next highest bidder. I had originally bought it to use for parts in the future for my 89 Pontiac Safari wagon, but the trim is quite different on these cars (surrounding woodgrain) and they have different engines, so not a lot of usable parts, save for the glass- which is identical on all 1977-1990 full-size General Motors stationwagons. I thought it was too good to strip anyway- so I am selling it.

I may be adding another car soon- a like new- 1985 Mercedes 500SEL, with 94K actual miles. I am hesitant on this one too, because parts are very high for these cars as well, but at least it has low miles and is not as complex as the LS400s- since it is a 1985 model. $3800 seems reasonable on this car. If I get it- I will probably sell the Lexus, unless I decide to keep it and fix these things as I get a chance.

post-4-1091939049.jpg

$57-front

$47-rear

air_susp_edited.jpg

Newby question here. I just bought a 95 lexus Ls400 and one of the reasons I got it so cheap was that I was told it needed new struts. Owner said to the tune of $800 each..so I assumed air ride. But I do not see any type of air hookup at any of the struts and I do not have this switch you have just talked about.

Soooooo....I just need regular struts then..correct? OEM of course.

Does your car have that "normal - high" switch there by the gear shift? If not, then it does not have air suspension. Wondering though- you mentioned "so cheap" - if you do not mind telling us, how much did you get this car for?

All we have by the shifter is ECT selector. Normal and Power. I don't even know what that is yet. I am missing a manual with the car. Just warranty papers and stuff.

Here's the deal on my 95 Lexus. We went on a "Lexus Hunt" as we call it, actually looking for a one owner car with service records. We traveled Nevada, Arizona and California looking for a 93 to 95 Lexus Ls400. I had sold our 93 Cadillac Deville and wanted to try the LS400. $8500 was all I wanted to spend and price depending on condition. We found a lot of wrecks and junk out there. And a few we believe were odometer rollbacks. Miles doesn't bother me as I have had Toyota products before.

So, we are traveling home and coming through Las Vegas and there is an ad in paper for 95 Lexus. Ad says needs struts and power steering leaks. $5200. So we go look at it. Owner says it has to have these certain struts that are over $800 each. I assume he is talking air ride. It's near dark when we are looking at the car..but with a flashlight...I don't see anything air related hooked to the struts. The guy comments that his mechanic has told him:

#1. The car needs struts at $800 or so each.

#2. The power steering leaks and probably is rack and pinion problem.

#3. Check engine light is on and it is some sensor needs replaced which is about $100.

#4. There is a clunking sound when hitting the brakes sometimes. Mechanic says it's a motor mount that needs replacement. About $100.

He's very honest and has owned the car since 40,000 miles. The car now has 148,000 on it. The strut deal sounds a little strange..but hey...I am new to Lexus so I take it he and his mechanic know more than me.

Since I am a mechanic (but not a lexus mechanic yet..give me a week) I figure I might be able to find some used struts from a wreck or the good people on these forums can route me to where I can get parts cheaper. Labor I can do. The wife likes the car and it drives fine. So, I ask him what the least he will take for the car and he says $4700, So, I buy the car and we drive the car 500 miles to home..no problem.

I think that is pretty cheap for a nice 95...Pearl white, gold package and chrome wheels, new tires and brakes. Leather needs a little help on the driver seat.

We have had the car 2 days now and here's my hit list:

1. Clunk in front end (struts or bushing I imagine.

2. Power steering leak (possibly rack and pinion,,leak is not bad.)

3. Cd changer (apart now and looking for a gear to fix)

4. We got all the lousy window tint off...that took a day.

5. need a chrome wheel...one chrome wheel is damaged. Spare is on.

6. Hood support "shocks" (today's project..read on here how to make some work.)

7. Check engine light (have to read codes).

That's the majors...course I will be going over everything with fine tooth comb and fixing all problems. We are tickled to get the car...especially at that price.

Again I would like to thank those on this forum for the eductation I took with me...while looking for our first Lexus. I'll be very active here and will help anyone I can. :D

bob, register at www.lexus.com (have ur vin ready) and they will send you the manual for free.

i also have problems with my front, or it seems to be the prob. when i hit a pothole there is a loud bang in thefront right. when i drive on the sleeping cop i dont have any noises.

im lost here, i checked everything and all of it seemsto be in the top shape

All we have by the shifter is ECT selector. Normal and Power. I don't even know what that is yet. I am missing a manual with the car. Just warranty papers and stuff.

Here's the deal on my 95 Lexus. We went on a "Lexus Hunt" as we call it, actually looking for a one owner car with service records. We traveled Nevada, Arizona and California looking for a 93 to 95 Lexus Ls400. I had sold our 93 Cadillac Deville and wanted to try the LS400. $8500 was all I wanted to spend and price depending on condition. We found a lot of wrecks and junk out there. And a few we believe were odometer rollbacks. Miles doesn't bother me as I have had Toyota products before.

So, we are traveling home and coming through Las Vegas and there is an ad in paper for 95 Lexus. Ad says needs struts and power steering leaks. $5200. So we go look at it. Owner says it has to have these certain struts that are over $800 each. I assume he is talking air ride. It's near dark when we are looking at the car..but with a flashlight...I don't see anything air related hooked to the struts. The guy comments that his mechanic has told him:

#1. The car needs struts at $800 or so each.

#2. The power steering leaks and probably is rack and pinion problem.

#3. Check engine light is on and it is some sensor needs replaced which is about $100.

#4. There is a clunking sound when hitting the brakes sometimes. Mechanic says it's a motor mount that needs replacement. About $100.

He's very honest and has owned the car since 40,000 miles. The car now has 148,000 on it. The strut deal sounds a little strange..but hey...I am new to Lexus so I take it he and his mechanic know more than me.

Since I am a mechanic (but not a lexus mechanic yet..give me a week) I figure I might be able to find some used struts from a wreck or the good people on these forums can route me to where I can get parts cheaper. Labor I can do. The wife likes the car and it drives fine. So, I ask him what the least he will take for the car and he says $4700, So, I buy the car and we drive the car 500 miles to home..no problem.

I think that is pretty cheap for a nice 95...Pearl white, gold package and chrome wheels, new tires and brakes. Leather needs a little help on the driver seat.

We have had the car 2 days now and here's my hit list:

1. Clunk in front end (struts or bushing I imagine.

2. Power steering leak (possibly rack and pinion,,leak is not bad.)

3. Cd changer (apart now and looking for a gear to fix)

4. We got all the lousy window tint off...that took a day.

5. need a chrome wheel...one chrome wheel is damaged. Spare is on.

6. Hood support "shocks" (today's project..read on here how to make some work.)

7. Check engine light (have to read codes).

That's the majors...course I will be going over everything with fine tooth comb and fixing all problems.   We are tickled to get the car...especially at that price.

Again I would like to thank those on this forum for the eductation I took with me...while looking for our first Lexus. I'll be very active here and will help anyone I can.  :D

That sounds like an excellent deal Bob. I paid $4000 for my 1990 LS400, with 224K last year- which I think is steep, but I bought it anyway.

About your car- if it has the air suspension- $800 each was quoted- you can always change them over to the standard struts. However, if you car does not have the additional button by the gear selector- it does not have it and they should only run about $50 each at your Lexus dealer- at least they are for my 1990. I do not know how you change them to standard struts if you have air struts, but some people here have and I am sure that they can guide you through this, if your car does have it. They are even higher for the 90-94s I think- around $1000 each. What exactly is your car doing? Is it setting low to the ground, or is it just bouncy?

All other problems mentioned sound minor- except that "clunk" may be bushings. My car needs those as well. You have come to the right site, as there are a lot of helpful folks here, so again- welcome to the group.

From all I can read here, It sounds like his mechanic was wrong and there is no air ride. Actually car sits fine and at correct height. After seeing some pictures someone posted of air ride struts I am sure I don't have them. I think the clunking in the front end maybe the owner was thinking "148,000 miles and clunking..maybe I need new struts".

Which brings to mind....how do we know when to replace these struts. If they are $50 each...I am gonna replace them just because they have 148,000 miles on them.

From all I can read here, It sounds like his mechanic was wrong and there is no air ride. Actually car sits fine and at correct height. After seeing some pictures someone posted of air ride struts I am sure I don't have them. I think the clunking in the front end maybe the owner was thinking "148,000 miles and clunking..maybe I need new struts".

Which brings to mind....how do we know when to replace these struts. If they are $50 each...I am gonna replace them just because they have 148,000 miles on them.

When the struts are worn, the car will either ride too harshly, or will have excessive bounce. These cars are supposed to have a soft ride however. I doubt the clunking is the struts. Probably the bushings. They must be difficult to check, because when I was replacing the brakes on the front of my car today, everything appeared to be in good order and was tight. My father was there and kept commenting about how "flimsy" and cheap the front end (suspension/steering) components looked for a large car. I never paid any attention. He said everything looked too small for the car, but who knows- they have done fine so far, except for the common "clunking" noises.

Anyway- if your car does not ride harshly, I would not replace them. At 148K, they may be OK. My 90 appears to have the original fronts, and it now has 231K, but the ride in the front is getting harsh.

Not sure about the 1995s, but on the 1990-1994s, you have to remove the entire rear seat and package tray, just to gain access to the rears. Fronts require spring compressors, etc. I think. Good luck.