2004 Es330 Ride Quality

Walt

My wife and I feel the ride of our 2004 ES330 is much harsher than expected. Dealer suggested reducing air pressure to 28lbs. with the Bridgestone V rated E30 summer tires.

This did very little, then they mentioned they were switching to H rated tires for their top of the line Lexus. I had chrome wheels and saw that they were supposed to have all-weather tires, so I insisted they switch my tires to all-weather Bridgestone LS-H H-rated tires (rated very high by Tire Rack), which they agreed to do. However, the ride quality was not noticably improved.

Has anyone else been disappointed in their very firm ES330 ride quality?

Any suggestion in "softening" the ride?

Walt Traub (waltertraub@aol.com)

Have you driven other Lexus ES300's to determine if yours is in fact different from normal?

Lexus has a "Plush ride" to it's name from it's top-of-the-line cars like the LS400. I've never thought the ES300 has a "plush" ride, but instead a good balance between performance and comfort.

In other words, I believe plushness = less control.

I put 110,00 on a 1997 ES300 and believe it has a softer and smoother ride than the 2004 ES330 I now drive. I wonder if the Michelins on the '97 made the ride smoother than the Bridgestones. I'm certainly not wanting to abandon the '04 330, but wish it had as good a ride and as smooth a transmission as the '97 had.

I have a 2002 ES300 which rides really harsh and has crappy Bridgestone Turanzas on it. Also..and wondering if yours does the same...my es rattles real bad too.

I've been wondering if maybe there is something wrong w/ the cars's suspension or its shocks. I've been thinking about taking it in to the dealer and letting them look at it.

Walt, did your ES330 come with the variable suspension package?

Easy way to tell, is there a button to the left of the shift lever that is not for the rear sunshade?

If so, is it in the sport mode?

My 02 ES has one of the smoothest ride I have ever had. If you don't have the variable suspension, then our suspensions are the same. Mine came with V-Rated Bridgestones (RE92) and now I have Dunlop Sport A2. Both have been at 32 lbs and the ride is as smooth as silk.

steviej

Walt,

I live in the same town as you. I currently have a little over 25,000 miles on my '04 ES330. I ordered 2 sets of tires today to replace the V-rated tires that came on my car. I ordered 4 H-rated 17" Dunlop A2's with new wheels and 4 V-rated 16" Michellin MXV4's as a winter tire. You're welcome to feel the difference in ride comfort in my car next week when the 16's are installed. I'll put the 17's on just after I wax and polish the new wheels I bought so can try that set as well.

I don't find the ride harsh at all. I travel frequently in my car and found that 30lbs of air all around seem to give the best ride comfort. Make sure you measure the air pressure before driving the car so that you get an accurate reading.

My wife and I feel the ride of our 2004 ES330 is much harsher than expected. Dealer suggested reducing air pressure to 28lbs. with the Bridgestone V rated E30 summer tires.

This did very little, then they mentioned they were switching to H rated tires for their top of the line Lexus. I had chrome wheels and saw that they were supposed to have all-weather tires, so I insisted they switch my tires to all-weather Bridgestone LS-H H-rated tires (rated very high by Tire Rack), which they agreed to do. However, the ride quality was not noticably improved.

Has anyone else been disappointed in their very firm ES330 ride quality?

Any suggestion in "softening" the ride?

Walt Traub (waltertraub@aol.com)

I have an 04 ES330 and wouldn't describe the ride as harsh in any way. Perhaps not as smooth as an LS, but certainly one of the smoothest rides I've ever had. Just stock tires and suspension.

I have a 04 Es 330 Sport Design with the same tires you originally had on yours and have found no problems with the ride. True, not quite like the LS, but certainly the best ride I have ever had in a car. As suggested earlier would be worth taking a ride in another ES 330 to see if there is any decernable differences. Of course, ride quality is rather subjective, but then again . . .

Well....when everybody else says how smooth their es is is....it makes me believe that something is definately wrong w/ yours and mine. Does anybody elses es shake you around, creak really bad in the roof and sound like it's going to fall apart when you go over bumps???

Does anybody elses es shake you around, creak really bad in the roof and sound like it's going to fall apart when you go over bumps???

Oh yah, I think all that is normal. The falling apart sound just lets you know that everything is is working a-okay. :lol:

Serioulsy though, I would check your struts or have your dealer do it. I remember a member awhile back had his front left strut replaced on his new ES early in it's ownership. It was creaking and making a popping noise when going over bumps.

Let us know what you find out when you fix it.

:cheers:

Well....when everybody else says how smooth their es is is....it makes me believe that something is definately wrong w/ yours and mine. Does anybody elses es shake you around, creak really bad in the roof and sound like it's going to fall apart when you go over bumps???

mine is shaking around alot over bumps but smooth as silk on new roads.

I am thinking it may be worn struts.