Portable Cd Player- Car Adapter Will Not Fit

90LS400Lexus

I got a portable CD (Sony) player for Christmas last year and finally decided today that I would open it and put it in the car. I ran into a problem (of course). :rolleyes: I discovered that the power cord plug will not fit into either of the lighter outlets. They are too small... :unsure::angry::rolleyes: Has anyone else had this problem? Are they typically smaller on the Lexus, or is this portable CD player just happen to be one that is unusually small? Thanks for the info.

(Getting madder and madder @ my LS) :angry::lol:

I have a 93 LS 400 and the lighter outlets are normal size. I often plug in my iPod, cell phone and a portable DVD player. They fit in the front and the back outlets.

Then I am guessing that this plug in is larger than average size..... :unsure:

Don't get mad at the LS , Do you need a cd changer for your LS ? pm me or e-mail and will supply you with a changer if that is what you want to do .:cheers:

Actually, I do not have that luxury, because my 1990 LS doesn't have the CD player option. Only cassette. Thanks anyway.......

Actually, I do not have that luxury, because my 1990 LS doesn't have the CD player option. Only cassette. Thanks anyway.......

Same here....no CD changer on my 92, only cassette. And now the cassette stopped working too!

Same here....no CD changer on my 92, only cassette. And now the cassette stopped working too!

If the cassette stopped working that would really make me mad. I play mine almost constantly when when I drive it, so it is probably only a matter of time. However, I think the previous owner never used it- so it may be OK for a while yet.

I do not mind cassettes, but seems as if you cannot hardly buy them anymore these days. E-Bay- you can find some, but not nearly as many as CD's. Sad really, because there are so many 1980s and 1990s cars on the roads that still have factory cassette players- not to mention that even some 2004 models still have cassette players installed as factory equipment.

Anyway- I tried the power plug in my mothers 1997 Oldsmobile- and the same thing- it seems too big to fit in the socket. It will go in some, but not much- also- there is no power connection on either car. What are the chances of all 4 on 2 cars being bad? If my power socket fuse was bad- what else would not be working? Everything works on the car as far as I know.

Thanks again.

What are the chances of all 4 on 2 cars being bad?  If my power socket fuse was bad- what else would not be working?

do you have the lighters that go into the outlets? i can't imagine both of your lighters are missing. if you want to test the outlets, push the lighters in and see if they heat-up and pop out like they are supposed to. if the lighers dont work, then it's probably your fuse which is located in the kick panel fuse box near the E-brake. the lighters in my car were broken for the longest time. i checked the fuse many times, only to see a good fuse. i was determined to fix the outlets yesterday morning and did not come up short. the problems was: the contacts that were SUPPOSED to contact the fuse in the fuse box were bent. apparently, the previous owner had some sort of add-on that he routed to the fuse box. he inserted a thin piece of metal which at one end, hooked onto the fuse, and the other end hanging out so that he could piggy-back that fuse. this thin piece of metal pushed the contacts back so that when just the fuse was inserted, the fuse did not come in contact with the contacts in the box. a simple piece of wire wrapped around one prong of the fuse fixed this.

well, once again i successfully drew out a 1 sentence story into a novel :rolleyes: . moral of the story is: check the fuse, if it looks good then wiggle the fuse around to see of the contacts are bent.

btw, all outlets are universal. can you take a pic of the item you are trying to plug into your outlet?

hope my huge drawn-out story doesn't make you go :wacko: .

What are the chances of all 4 on 2 cars being bad?  If my power socket fuse was bad- what else would not be working?

do you have the lighters that go into the outlets? i can't imagine both of your lighters are missing. if you want to test the outlets, push the lighters in and see if they heat-up and pop out like they are supposed to. if the lighers dont work, then it's probably your fuse which is located in the kick panel fuse box near the E-brake. the lighters in my car were broken for the longest time. i checked the fuse many times, only to see a good fuse. i was determined to fix the outlets yesterday morning and did not come up short. the problems was: the contacts that were SUPPOSED to contact the fuse in the fuse box were bent. apparently, the previous owner had some sort of add-on that he routed to the fuse box. he inserted a thin piece of metal which at one end, hooked onto the fuse, and the other end hanging out so that he could piggy-back that fuse. this thin piece of metal pushed the contacts back so that when just the fuse was inserted, the fuse did not come in contact with the contacts in the box. a simple piece of wire wrapped around one prong of the fuse fixed this.

well, once again i successfully drew out a 1 sentence story into a novel :rolleyes: . moral of the story is: check the fuse, if it looks good then wiggle the fuse around to see of the contacts are bent.

btw, all outlets are universal. can you take a pic of the item you are trying to plug into your outlet?

hope my huge drawn-out story doesn't make you go :wacko: .

Thanks 1UZ- The front one is not missing, but the rear one is. The front one appears to have never been used. I also tried this in my mothers 1997 Oldsmobile and the same thing happened. It seemed as if it was not fully going into the outlet and there was no power going to the player. I also turned on the ignition, thinking that maybe that had to be on in order to get power to it. I will check those fuses tomorrow (as well as that lighter) and see if that may be the problem. Thanks again.