2001 Es300 "mods"?

I'm ready to pick up my 2001 ES-300 on Thursday. I'm not much of a "car guy" and usually leave my cars alone.

I was reading up on some of the posts here and noticed quite a few of you have done some modifications. I have no idea what they are or what they do!

Here are some of them. If you guys could give me a short description of what these things do(as far as improvement) I'd appreciate it. In fact maybe it will interest me enough to start learning about these things and start doing things myself.

-K/N Filter

-specific kinds of spark plugs

-brakes/pads

-suspension

-Tires...which are the best kinds?

-Engine oil

-AV Equipment / Speakers

-Exaust systems

-Lights

If any of these would be potential DIY for a car dummy like me, let me know...I'll take up the challenge of DIY!!!

I think changing the lights to ultra whites would be something I can do...just need some instructions.

What about AV systems? I want to put a Nav unit in there...probably impossible?

Thanks People!

Nick N.

Nick, I think you're asking for a LOT of answers to mostly info in which you're new to the territory, so I'll say this up front: Please use the "search" engine built into this LOC forum, and spend many hours reading up past threads that pertain to the information you're looking for. I don't mean any offense to you at all Nick, but I must stress that there's too much information to lay down in one post ;)

If after you read up some posts and you have questions about something specific in which you can't find from the search engine, then by all means post up your questions! That tells us that you did some previous research and are now asking for help :D

I got a 2001 ES 300... A black and chrome beauty.

My advise... Don't do anything to it. The car is a great car as is. Remember that these ES's are sofas on wheels, if you want to trick a car out there are other ones better suited. Some of the modifications just make the car look cheap or ghetto.

Unless you need any plugs, brakes, suspencion, tires, oil, stereo, muffler or lights I would wait until needed.

JMHO.

George

agreed with everyone , i like your mod style sk8 :)

the search engine goes a long way although it may take time to get all the answers.

if you are not a car guy then get a set of sylvania silverstars from epe boys and leave the car bone stock it is perfect the way it is.

I agree that the car looks great as it is.

I got the pearl white. I was originally going to get the Silver but I wanted a light color interior. I really liked the way the beige looked. Plus, my MDX is Silver with black interior so I wanted to try out something different.

Actually, this will replace my 1999 3.2TL which is white with grey interior.

I like the pearlish white compared with pure white...

Anyways, yeah, not intending to enlarge the rims, install body-kits, spoiler, lowering the suspension, adding noise.

I think the most I might do is add white color bulbs and tint the window...maybe 30%. I have 15% on my TL and I hate rolling down the windows everytime there is a cop!

Other than that, what about Body Side Molding? I started another thread on that since I could not find anything after Searching.

Remote starter?

Those are more pratical things living in NY.

Thanks All.

Nick N.

OK, I decided to get 2 things since they were having a "sale" on the options. At the risk of sounding ripped-off:

Remote starter. $560. Yeah, I know, expensive. 1 way too. I asked for a 2 way with LCD remote and he said he would do it for $75 extra. So total is $635. They will guarantee the work. Also, the good thing about it is that they will make me a new key with transponder, program it, then break off the key part and use the transponder part to put inside the car. So I get to keep all my keys. That's convenient. It's an Audiovox. I guess it's not the best out there but I didn't want to take it to a hack shop...there are so many of them in NY and I'm clueless so.

Window tint. Used to have drug-dealer tint but I got sick of rolling down the window so decided to go legal. $350. Again, kinda high...can get it for $250 at a local shop but I was willing to pay the $100 premium.

That's it.

Maybe I can install ultra whites myself...hope I don't break the thing...

Can't wait, can't wait!

oh yah i fogot , you did get take for an overpriced peice of crap , audiovox is garbage and any store that sells it is also in the bottom of the barrel for quality as no good store would want to be associated with the brand

sk, no holds barred I guess...bit harsh huh?

I know, I know. I read about the viper, etc. They have some nice ones on their website. From what I read they are a great company.

I called up a local shop and they said $550 for the Viper 2 way with LCD installed. They needed to use the valet key. You know, in NYC, it's reaaaaaaally hard to find good help and service. Confidence in not something that comes to mind when you speak to these people over the phone...Living in NY for 27 years and you take the good with the bad...mostly bad when it comes to sh*t like this you know?

Honest help and NYC don't belong on the same sentence!

Plus, everything in NY is expensive!

Food, rent, help...

Not to say I didn't get taken, because I know I did...come on, I bought it at the dealer. I was taken...even the ES300...yeah, they are making serious $$$ off of my poor ignorant as*!!!

But whatever man...I decided that having them do all this before I picked up my new ride was an ok idea. I don't think $635 is CRAZY...well maybe it is...but I'm having Lexus people (or whoever they hire) install it and they guarantee it. That's got to be better than running into a hack (very possible in NYC) and having my car all messed up. I am getting a remote starter with LCD which is what I wanted in the first place. They are giving me a transponder with the key cut off so they won't have to use any of my keys. If the darn thing work, great...if it doesn't I'll just take it back and they will work it out.

Yeah the tint...$350...expensive. I had my TL done for $250 at a very popular place. After I got it tinted my interior started to rattle...took me a while to figure it out. Needless to say never going back there again.

If I get a working piece of crap...and if it does start my car remotely but doesn't cook me breakfast or make me feel like Knight Rider, I don't mind so much.

That's cool with me...

ok , well it makes a little more sense that you had it installed at the dealer and nota small shop which is what i thought from the post

but audiovox still is dirt cheap and sold at wal mart and other discount stores

including a $100 transponder makes it a little more reasonable

my clifford came with an alarm ,remote start automatic headlight turn on when dark as well as a liftime warrenty plus some other modifications to work with the stock alarm for $400 usd which was a good price even then

and yes i am straight forward but you didn;t ask a question to have a kind of answer but for the truth.

no worries you got what you paid for after all as it was at lexus and came with a transponder.

sk,

That's cool.

You are a straight shooter.

I guess that's good for people like me.

I take a long time trying to make up my mind about anything!

My thinking was I got an awesome ride and since so many of the places around here are shady, why take a chance?

It's too bad I couldn't ask them to use Viper etc...I bet you if they did they would charge me so much more...

This will be my first remote starter.

I'm thinking about hooking up my MDX with one too...

Thanks sk, much appreciated!

Nick