Power Window Won't Work

HELP anyone!!!!!!!!!! Tried a bunch of things. A Mech. Eng. buddy and I removed doorpanel and troubleshot ~ month ago. No electrical problem, motor was receiving power. Switch looked OK. Took apart; removed cable spool from motor and motor turned/worked. Re-attached kept reassembling and checking with motor/window working (window went up and down). When I got to work two days later to try it, it wouldn't work!

Took it apart again Saturday to see if there was an obstruction causing problem. Didn't see any. Window seemed to move semi-freely. When free of everything it worked again. Worked when most of door parts on again (window going up and down. When interior door panel all the way back on again, it wouldn't work.

Note motor very hot (doesn't seem right).

We figure a sensor in motor must be broken which is saying the window is already in postion or something.

Lexus wants $500+ for whole assembly (not including labor).

Should I try and replace with Camry motor?

Any other thoughts?

I had this same problem with an electric window on my old SSEi. It turned out to be the motor. It wasn't dead, but the brushes inside the electrical motor were worn down to their limit. Unfortunately, the brushes are not replaceable and the entire motor had to be replaced at a cost of $200. Once replace there was never a problem again with that motor for the remaing time I had the car.

try some online parts dealers for better pricing. Call toyota and see if the Camry uses the same motor and price that online.

steviej

• 3 months later...

I would say it might be the brushes in the motor.

easy way to find out. take apart the door and hook up the switches and use it till it stops working . when it does turn the motor by hand half a turn and see if it works. if it does you motor has gone bad. the brushes are landing on a dead spot on the motor.

If this turns out to work I would say take the motor apart and see if you can clean the little spaces between the little strips of copper ( the commentator) and if the brushes are warn away see if you can find a motor of about the same size and change the brushes. they are only carbon so u can file them to make them fit. this should buy you a bunch motor time out of the motor. and save u a bunch of money.

Don't knock yourself out..........change the motor!  B)

i am probly one of the cheepest people around so i would just steal the brushes from one of the rear windows and just swap them so i would not have to buy anything.

:D buts that is my cheep !Removed! for u :D

Do the lights dim when you try and raise or lower the window?

I might not be suprised if the window has come off the rail halfway and it jamming itself, especially if it is getting hot , so that would mean the motor is getting power from the switch .