Buying Decision - 01/02 Gs300 Vs 03 Es300

Hi all!:

I am a brand new member (joined today). I have conducted numerous searches and don't see responses that address my questions. That said, please accept my apologies if this topic and associated questions has been previously addressed.

Background

I am thirty years old and need to replace my current car.

I would like to spend no more than $28K to $29K

I would like a quiet car, but not one that puts me to sleep!

Cars Driven So Far

I have driven an GS 300 (2000 with ~45,000 miles) and an ES 300 (2003 with ~16,000 miles). I drove the ES first and appeared rather sluggish and a tiny bit boring to drive (sorry ES fans). That said, very quiet and nicely equipped inside. The GS was alot more fun to drive, yet I think it was slightly louder than the ES and also 3 years older.

Here are my questions:

1. Given my budget and the information provided, which car would you buy and why? I know this is an entirely subjective decision, but I am really interested in your responses.

2. Does the GS typically have more road noise? If so, is it so noticeable that it becomes annoying?

3. Should I be concerned that the GS typcially come with 30,000 miles versus ES with 16,000 to 20,000 miles?

4. Pricing appears to be all over the place. The ES I drove was in the dealer at $30,900 yet I found it on the web at $27,750. Alternatively, I found a GS on ebay at $25,000 (buy now price). The dealers website showed $29,900 for the same car! Bottom line, how much can I bargain with a dealer on both models?

5. Is there any difference in the cost of tires. Assuming both cars are driven 24,000 per year (95% on freeways) will I have to replace tires more quickly on the GS?

6. Finally, is there a noticeable difference in insurance, maintenance and associated costs between each model?

I hope these questions aren't too dumb :blushing:

I look forward to any and all answers to my questions above. Thanks in advance for your input! :cheers:

Hi all!:

I am a brand new member (joined today). I have conducted numerous searches and don't see responses that address my questions. That said, please accept my apologies if this topic and associated questions has been previously addressed.

Background

I am thirty years old and need to replace my current car.

I would like to spend no more than $28K to $29K

I would like a quiet car, but not one that puts me to sleep!

Cars Driven So Far

I have driven an GS 300 (2000 with ~45,000 miles) and an ES 300 (2003 with ~16,000 miles). I drove the ES first and appeared rather sluggish and a tiny bit boring to drive (sorry ES fans). That said, very quiet and nicely equipped inside. The GS was alot more fun to drive, yet I think it was slightly louder than the ES and also 3 years older.

Here are my questions:

1. Given my budget and the information provided, which car would you buy and why? I know this is an entirely subjective decision, but I am really interested in your responses.

2. Does the GS typically have more road noise? If so, is it so noticeable that it becomes annoying?

3. Should I be concerned that the GS typcially come with 30,000 miles versus ES with 16,000 to 20,000 miles?

4. Pricing appears to be all over the place. The ES I drove was in the dealer at $30,900 yet I found it on the web at $27,750. Alternatively, I found a GS on ebay at $25,000 (buy now price). The dealers website showed $29,900 for the same car! Bottom line, how much can I bargain with a dealer on both models?

5. Is there any difference in the cost of tires. Assuming both cars are driven 24,000 per year (95% on freeways) will I have to replace tires more quickly on the GS?

6. Finally, is there a noticeable difference in insurance, maintenance and associated costs between each model?

I hope these questions aren't too dumb :blushing:

I look forward to any and all answers to my questions above. Thanks in advance for your input! :cheers:

I faced exactly the same dilemma. About 3 weeks ago, I test drove a new ES330, and while it was nice and beautifully constructed, its performance and handling were lackluster. The dealer had a Certified Pre-Owned 2001 GS300, which only had 32,000 miles on it. It was in beautiful condition, and had been maintained well and just received the 30,000 mile service.

The driving experience was quite different. It handled much better and the 220 HP 6 cylinder, while not equal to such 6 cylinders as are in the Infiniti G35 or Acura TL, had plenty of acceleration. Also, it handled much better and you had more road feel. I did find it was slightly more noise, but the new tires put on by the dealer are a little noisy. Finally, the interior is understated but beautiful. The Certified Pre-Owned designation gives you a 3-year, 100,000 mile complete warranty plus Lexus' fine service experience. I don't think that the cost of tires, depending on what you buy, will be a major difference between the two cars.

I bought the GS300 and I am very glad I did. It has the best combination of luxury and comfort combined with sportiness that I have driven. If you go with the GS, make sure the 30,000 mile service has been done. I paid $29,000 even, which I don't think is too bad for the low mileage on the car and its being a CPO car with the warranty.

dmacneill:

Thanks very much for taking the time to post. I was so pleased to see someone else had the same problem! I personally agonized over the same decision for probably much longer than I should have.

I went back into the dealer on Monday night to test drive a 2004 ES 330. I also drove a 2001 GS 300. I actually noticed a difference between the ES 300 and the 330 in terms of acceleration. The GS was obviously faster, yet I found myself enjoying the ES more.

So, I purchased the ES 330 2004. I am happy with my decision, but would prefer to own both so I can drive either one, depending on my mood.

Looks like you got a good deal on the GS. Enjoy your car!

Thanks again for your time and comments.

Well I bought my first gs300 and I'm in love with it has 50k and I bought it for somewhere between 21 and 23. The reason i'm not sure it depends on how you look at it if you figure I got 10 for the trade it's 23 if you figure that every other dealer only wanted to give me 8 then I got it for 21. Take the one that you like the best if you don't you will regret it. I have purchased cars that I thought well this will do and ended up hating that I settled and traded them in. Drive more than one of the same car's and make sure to really shop around. I think my gs is quite, I havn't driven an es so can't compare...I wouldn't let miles be a factor you will pay for the lower miles that your going to put on it, unless it's high miles. I think as long as you have factory warrent so you can work out any kinks your good to go. If dealers think you have to have the car then they got ya. Don't be afraid to walk away and come back. I made my dealer give me a 3 day test drive before signing the papers. They are great cars that last a long time, so I hear :)