'rear Light' Warning Light...

caglo

So I got in my 96 sc400 the other day and my lights came on as they should, nothing out of the ordinary, but I noticed on the dash that a little warning light popped up with lines behind a car. Looked the icon up in the manual and it said that one of my rear lights were out. Well, I checked them and they aren't! The normal rear lights are fine as well as the brake lights and backup lights. Ideas?

your cars are most likely throwing a signal because of a bad connection thats what happened to mine it started coming on when my lights were working still but soon after one of them went out but it was just a bad connection so i took them out and a little electrical tape fixed the problem

Folks,

This is a common problem I have seen in Lexus. The sensor is triggered by current output so a weak or incorrect bulb will trigger the alert. If the alert is triggered when parking light is on, your parking light bulb(s) are not working correctly, when alert comes on with brake applied, the brake lights are out. 92-94 is slightly different from 95 and up but here is the problem and resolution. Light bulb age, and the output get weaker over period of time. It’s cheap to replace so change the bulbs in one opening since its nuisance to open the light housing. For 95 and greater, make sure to use 138 instead of 194 bulbs. 138 have slightly higher output and that is the correct bulb. On my 96, I had mixture of bulbs over the years just to get by the inspections, so one day I went to WalMart and got bulbs including the headlight bulbs and replaced all the outside lights. There was a good article on this forum about how the light bulbs work so I decided to replace all the bulbs at one time. Immediately I have notice the headlights brighter and the sensor light went off and everything looked brighter. I think I spent about $25 total on all bulbs but it was worth every penny because the night visibility improved drastically.

• 2 years later...

Just picked up my 95 SC400 and have the Rear Light Failure Warning Light on the dash lights up. The rear lights seem to be fine but.......the front parking lights are both out and the left front side marker light is also out. Based on the post from "sightdev" , although these lights are not in the rear but they are in the parking lights circuit, these lights being out would affect current output in the circuit hence, the warning light. Is the correct?

8/25/06 - Changed 2 of 3 burned out bulbs. Light is still on. I hope fixing the other one causes the light to go out because the lights that I'm changing are a real PIA to take care of. Both parking lights are out, well, only one now, and the drivers side, side marker was out. Replacing the front parking lights are a real disappointment because the add very little illumination to the vehicle.

Unless you have really small hands it's same procedure as changing a headlight. I did it the hard way, the way the shop manual says to do it but the initial instructions I found on this website were better.

Unscrew/bolt just enough of the front wheel well splash guards to get to the two nuts behing the lamp fixture, the one bolt on the top and push it out. I did the drivers side so I ended up pulling the battery out to be able to disconnect the wiring.